Going Overlanding

draper40

Pete, what have you got in mind?

I would not bother with a tour company, just do your own thing.

I have tons of information I have amassed over the years.....grew up there/love the place/doing London to Cape Town next year. If you need any specific info, I can point you in the right direction if that helps? Going to Morocco later this year if your interested? SWMBO wont be coming, so it'll be a solo trip for me.

Martin

Martin.

Also looking at Morocco but I'm really looking more next year as 1.need to prep the vehicle and 2.need to pass my test!!!

Mike- Only problem about going by myself is getting stuck etcetera. I would rather have the securtiy of say an impala adventures tour but also the freedom the provide. Perhaps the best solution, if possible would be to go independantly with 1 or 2 other vehciles.

Pete

Martin.

Also looking at Morocco but I'm really looking more next year as 1.need to prep the vehicle and 2.need to pass my test!!!

Pete

OK, understand passing your test. Prepping your vehicle......you could spend the next 10 years, and you wont be quite finished! There is always one other thing you want to do!

When I got mine, I justified the cost to the boss ('er indoors) that I would not have to do ANYTHING to the vehicle. The day after buying it, I got a K&N filter....and havent stopped since!

New wheels & tyres all round, roof rack, CD, Exmoor seats, exhaust mods, lightbars, spots, custom electrics......I could go on.

Where you only thinking of Morocco, or further afield?

Mart

Martin.

Mike- Only problem about going by myself is getting stuck etcetera. I would rather have the securtiy of say an impala adventures tour but also the freedom the provide. Perhaps the best solution, if possible would be to go independantly with 1 or 2 other vehciles.

Pete

A mate of mine went to Morocco with Impala and had a great time. I would think its a good introduction to that type of trip and you will learn a lot. He is still in contact with some of the people he did Morrocco with and they are planning a Mongolia trip together.

Ben

Mart,

I thought that Morrocco would be a good start as it seems to be quite popular and not too far but I am really only starting research and so I am very flexible at the moment. A bit OT but what to you think of the K&N filter?

I am thinking of getting one.

Pete

I'll recommend Onelife Adventure very highly - did Libya with them earlier in the year. I'll probably do the next big trip solo, but there is something to be said for having someone sort out all the paperwork, find the best routes, places to stay and getting some local support. If it's your one big holiday of the year and you've spent thousands preparing, it would be a shame to have a rubbish time.

Onelife did a cracking job and were worth every penny - they do Morocco, Algeria, Libya, Europe, and a few other places - and most importantly are much better than someone who rhymes with cince vobley.

And no, they aint me dad.

;)

(dont bother with a K&N by the way, drive round the block with your filter removed and see what difference you notice - also they wont last 5 mins in mud sand and water)

Eighpot....new marketing & advertising Manager for One Life!!

I have only heard good things about them too, although they seem very pricey, I have heard they are indeed worth every penny. Personally, I prefer just jumping in at the deep end & doing it myself. I have loads of travel experience, so know the ropes when it comes to this sort of thing. Admittedly, my travel experience vehicle based, is limited to a year....

I dont want to stray O/T, but I think the K&N is belting! Quite right though, you wont tell any difference just by dropping one in on its own.....but, I have a tuned turbo & fuel pressure, and next month a nice shiny Allisport is going in......so, it makes a big difference all of a sudden!

Mart

So how are your morocco plans going?

Pete

Half-heartedly to be honest! Its only recently that I have got a bee in my bonnet about going there, its not something I have wanted to do for ages. Mo is recommending NOT doing it on my own, so may only go as far as the Pyrenees. I have no firm plans for holidays this year all of a sudden, so am quite willing to change my mind every couple of weeks! Up until the day I set out, I may not have firm plans.

If I do 100% decide to go to Morocco, then I will plan heavily about 3 weeks before leaving date, as I work best under pressure.

Quite a flippant comment coming from someone going all the way to Cape Town, but I dont see Morocco as being hard at all, despite peoples warnings of solo travel there. Going to Morocco for me would be no more difficult than planning a long weekend in the Lake District. Mind you I did spend several years backpacking all over the world, so it comes second nature after awhile.

Sounds like you've already got a lot of experience and the vehicle is looking great!

How long would you be looking at being there for?

Pete

I am taking 3 weeks off work, so about a week travelling to & from, then the rest of the time there.

The vehicle looks OK I guess....not done yet though!

The K&N is fine for uk road use, but not so good for dusty and sandy conditions. Being impregnated with oil means that when mixed with dust and sand the filter ends up covered in a restrictive paste. The K&N has a more free flowing filter element, hence more air flow better performance, but in dusty sandy conditions this also allows the smaller particles through which could cause accelerated engine wear.

A standard air filter is ideal for the dusty sandy conditions experienced on an overland trip, just remove it, and bang the worst out of it every now and then and it'll keep doing its job without restricting the engine.

A vote for Atlas Overland here. I've had two very enjoyable european trips with them and i'm about to go on my third! A friend and fellow overlander, has been to Morocco with them twice and has had an excellent trip both times. Its nice to go on a trip with a small group of like minded people, who will help each other out when you get stuck or if the truck throws a spanner in the works!

As was mentioned by "Eightpot" its good to use a tour company as they'll take you on some amazing routes and to great places, that you may not have have found going on your own. When you've mastered desert driving, navigation, being self sufficent and have got the truck sorted to how it works best for you, you'll be ready and equiped to take on the world!!

Enjoy the trip.

Buzz.

If I do 100% decide to go to Morocco, then I will plan heavily about 3 weeks before leaving date, as I work best under pressure.

Perhaps giving yourself a couple of months is more realistic- you might need to do some work on the truck before you leave and get some bits and pieces istalled. also if the insurance Co forgets to send docs out then you dont have a lot of time to sort things out. I'm the classic "leave everything to the last minute" kind of guy, but i would blanche at going on a long trip with just 3 weeks prep!

Impala are very good. They gave us a lot of help for or first trip. You do have the advantage of a recovery vehicle at the rear.

I spoke to One Life at Donington. I was impressed.

Have a look here http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?topic=364099.0

Here http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?topic=358612.0

You think you've got your vehicle finished, see here as well http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?topic=369337.0

You'll need at least 18 months planning if you go by yourself on that first trip. The same ammount of time on the vehicle. It gets easier the second and third time.

K&N.

So after all the sand roads and sand places I've been in my enging is knackered according to those who say no to K&N. Well I've news for you......The hatch marks are still there on ther bores afer 162,000 miles. Keep the K&N clean and you won't have a problem.

mike

Perhaps giving yourself a couple of months is more realistic- you might need to do some work on the truck before you leave and get some bits and pieces istalled. also if the insurance Co forgets to send docs out then you dont have a lot of time to sort things out. I'm the classic "leave everything to the last minute" kind of guy, but i would blanche at going on a long trip with just 3 weeks prep!

Geez, a couple of months?! I really dont see going to Morocco as THAT big a deal to be honest.

You'll need at least 18 months planning if you go by yourself on that first trip. The same ammount of time on the vehicle. It gets easier the second and third time.

Mike, I am assuming you are saying 18 months planning for LDN to CT, and not for Morocco?

I have wanted to do the Big One for YEARS now, and have been investigating, researching & reading for over 10 years! It is purely financial reasons that have kept me from doing it so far. Perhaps it is because I have been plotting for so long now, that I feel I can safely reduce planning times significantly in Africa. Hence why I think 3 weeks is fine for Morocco. Obviously, for LDN - CT, I will plan meticulously once I have an absolute date set. Up until that point, I have a long-term plan for vehicle prep (currently being undertaken) and the rest is just sifting through the knowledge & aquired research data I have for the trip & making sense of it all.

I am thinking around a 12 month lead time up to a definite start date, rather than your 18 month. Even so, you could plan indefinitely, and it could all go wrong in Africa!

I do, however, find the "lessons learnt" thread fascinating. Its the little things like the pencil cases & rear hi-step that you could never plan for in a million years! You would have to have, either prior experience of the same trip, or a rather intensive shakedown. Come closer to D-Day, expect a lot of brain picking!

Martin

I've not been to Morroco. I'd have to get the information but as I said. More is easily available than when we first thought about it in 2003

I'd love to drive to Cape Town from England.

It's only Margaret that says NO.

However I wonder if a second vehicle would help settle her and get her to do it.

It would have to be the West Coast route though.

The first trip Margaret took 18 months to sort out. The second time a few months. Last trip. We booked the ship and the airline and went.......

We travelled where we wanted and whan we wanted. Only the heavy rainsand floods near George made us change plans.

Insurance docs.

Last year the cost of "All Risks" insurance went from 400quid a trip to over 800 quid with 400 quid to pay in any claim. I wouldn't bother again with All Risks. I'd take the chance with it.

Where are you Martin

We're at Driffield in May.

mike

Where are you Martin

We're at Driffield in May.

mike

Mike, I have previously mentioned that my girlfriend is taking time to come around to the idea of Cape Town....she really wants to have a second vehicle. If you want to mention the idea to Margaret, then by all means, do so....personally I think the more the merrier, and Jude would be over the moon in a convoy.

Where is Driffield then? It would be great to meet & have a talk over a beer or coffee. If you are ever close to Bedford, then I actually run a coffee shop, and you would be welcome anytime, Mike.

Martin

I don't see that Morocco is such a big deal... there is very little you can actually book up front..

Its probably worth booking your crossing from spain to morocco before you leave the UK, everything else can be done at the border, buying insurance, temp import form, visas...

When we went the whole border crossing experience only took an hour or so...

I'd get the vehicle serviced before you go, but there are 'rover friendly garages in all bigger towns...

Freeagent....exactly! :rolleyes: That is how I understand the border situation to be, quite painless. Servicing the vehicle is a given. Booking the ferry is given too.....just as when you go to France, book up front.

As I said, I dont think it is a major undertaking going to Morocco.

, everything else can be done at the border, buying insurance, temp import form, visas...

this is now not the case if you use the algeciras ceuta ferry. There is now no insurance office or bank on the boarder which means if you have no green card you will need to go via Tangeers.

Edd

Mike,

I have been looking at those links and especially your vehicle preparation.

Where is the best place to get the cargo rails and ratchet straps from?

Also a fridge would obviously be very useful. What size/make would you recommend for a 4 week jaunt at the most. For a 4 week trip how many wolf boxes shoul I be looking at taking? Would you say it is still feasible in a 90? What were you sleeping arangements and how did it work out?

Pete

Mike,

I have been looking at those links and especially your vehicle preparation.

Where is the best place to get the cargo rails and ratchet straps from?

Also a fridge would obviously be very useful. What size/make would you recommend for a 4 week jaunt at the most. For a 4 week trip how many wolf boxes shoul I be looking at taking? Would you say it is still feasible in a 90? What were you sleeping arangements and how did it work out?

Pete

Right Pete.

Cargo Rail. Mine came from Douglass Motors or Pro-X-Equipment. As did the clips. Get more clips than you think you need.

Nobody would send cargo rail to me. I had to get it from a show.

My ratchet straps came from various places. Get good ones. I've had two from Machine Mart come to bits !!!

My last four came from DAMAR

www.damarslings.com

They go to shows.

I had my local cobbler stitch the straps to the clips. I'm ordering some from Damar later this year and I'm going to ask if they will stitch them to the clips.

Fridge.

Don't look ast anything other than Engel. MPS4X4 are offering the best prices at present.

Ous is a 45 litre. Take a cool box/bag as well so you only open the fridge early morning late evening, when it's cooler, actually it doesn't work like that but try it. Get the bag for the fridge as well.

Wolff Boxes.

How long is a peice of string.

We use a ground tent which is carried in the car.

I carry far to many spares...

All boxes are numbered. All boxes have lables on them to say what is inside them. I have an A5 book which lists box numbers and contents.

I also have a manifest for customs. One page for each box. That way there's a lot of papers for the customs man/woman to look at.

We each have a box for everyday clothes. That is kept in the tent when we aren't travelling.

One box for dry food, jam, sauces, tinned food etc.

One box carries the camp lights and cooking tools/cutlery.

Have you got Wolff boxes? If not get the Really Useful Boxes.

Have you still got the load area free or do you havbe a drawer fitted like mine.

You can stack Wolff boxes three high and three across the back of my Defender. I carry two more in front of those with the tent and other junk on the top of them.

If you don't have a drawer why not cover the well and fit some boxes under there. Wolf Hi tops will not fit there you need the low top ones.

Right that's me knackered. You have a PM

mike