Going Overlanding

draper40

In regard to wolf boxes vs really useful- I have not got any yet but wolf boxes look a lot more sturdy and also I think have a better seal. I also think they look better but may get the really useful boxes. So would you say a covered area with some boxes is better compared to a drawer?

Pete

Not really

A drawer is expensive but I wouldn't be without mine.

Have a look at www.frontrunner.co.za

Another place for good ideas is www.alu-cab.co.za especially for the side opening pieces instead of the window.

Should you want to go that route bell me as I have the ideas in my head.

mike

Pete, you can get the cargo rails from Footloose4x4 or from Patriot roofracks direct (if you ever come to Patriot, they are just down the road from me, pop in for a cuppa!)

Mike, when are we going to see a book out of you then!? Its the next logical step! You obviously have a very methodical approach & vast experience....

Pete, I would go with Wolf boxes for precisely the reasons you think. They are just that little bit more sturdy.

I dont think Mike was saying that NO drawers is better....I know he loves his MSS. They are really dear though, which is why I built my own for a fraction of the cost.

At the end of the day though, pass that test of yours, and go away somewhere for a few days and see what works for you. You dont necessarily have to go anywhere major, just a few days camping in the UK...literally just throw all your equipment in the back & see what annoys you about accessing gear & "stuff" when on the go....then when you get back, take steps to make that part easier in the future.

For example, you may find from just throwing things in, that your stove is at the bottom of a pile of carp....you see a pretty spot, you want to stop for a cup of tea, but it takes you a week to fish the stove out. When you get back, you know the kettle must be more accessible.

You may find that you dont really need a lot of equipment. Imagine paying a lot of money for a drawer that may look cool, but for you personally, may not be the right option. You may just need a storage chest, and cargo rails bolted directly to the floor of the load space, or a drawer/chest combination, with cargo rails on top of that (like mine).....its a very personal thing, that you will only develop over time.

I bet you Mike is STILL perfecting his expedition packing skills, and he found what works for him over time & lots of little trips. What may work for one, may not work for another (although, to fair, I cant see a system like Mikes NOT working for almost everyone!)

Martin

Mart,

I'll be sure to pop in and see you if I'm ever in the area. Good advice and testing trips. I'm thinking that faricating a drawer might be a good idea as cost is a bit of an issue. Just had a look at footloose and they seem great for loads of expedition stuff- great site thanks Martin. Are you planning on ground tent or roofing it?

Pete

Mart,

I'll be sure to pop in and see you if I'm ever in the area. Good advice and testing trips. I'm thinking that faricating a drawer might be a good idea as cost is a bit of an issue. Just had a look at footloose and they seem great for loads of expedition stuff- great site thanks Martin. Are you planning on ground tent or roofing it?

Pete

Neat site hey?! I feel my credit card cry out in horror every time I visit there...it just makes me want to phone up and say "One of everything please sir!"

Ground tent all the way. Roof tents are really dear....I mean REALLY dear if you are thinking of any big name. A top of the line mountaineering tent (and I mean top shelf stuff here) is about £400. If its good enough to be used up Everest, then it'll do me fine thank you very much.

I used to do a lot of mountaineering (from my traveling days) so I have a brilliant North Face Mountain 24, two person tent, that weighs just over 2 kg, takes about a minute to put up (you have to be VERY fast erecting a tent, when your life depends on finding shelter) and is roomy enough for 2 plus gear. Admittedly, living in it in one place for more than 4-5 days would get a bit cramped, and cabin fever would set in (I do recall a rather miserable 6 days spent on top of the Drakensberg in South Africa at minus 18 in it!!)

NOT going with a roof tent, and building your own drawer has just saved you about a thousand pounds. That is a lot of money to anybody, and money that can be spent elsewhere on prep or a nice trip.

Martin

Have you done everest then?

Pete

Yeah, I have done it a few times, its only a hundred grand a pop!! :o

No I have not climbed Everest. Nor do I climb anything anymore. 20 fags a day, getting on a bit now....I find it hard to make a flight of stairs nowadays! I do tourist mountaineering whenever I can....ie I walk up the path that anybody else would go up.

this is now not the case if you use the algeciras ceuta ferry. There is now no insurance office or bank on the boarder which means if you have no green card you will need to go via Tangeers.

Edd

things must have changed since 2006... i'd still say you don't need to spend months planning just to go to morocco... you can by ferry tickets easily in southern Spain, and i'm sure a bit of time on the web will solve the other issues before you go.....

In regard to wolf boxes vs really useful- I have not got any yet but wolf boxes look a lot more sturdy and also I think have a better seal. I also think they look better but may get the really useful boxes. So would you say a covered area with some boxes is better compared to a drawer?

Pete

i've got 6 Wolff boxes, they are very strong, but also quite dear compared to other boxes, but you do get what you pay for...

for really useful boxes look here;

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/

they do some of the boxes in 'white- extra strong' type, for about £1.50 more..

I'm going to pick up a couple of the 50 litre ones to use as an alternative to a drawer unit in the back of my disco, to fit under a built-in shelf...

Morning All, Margaret here (Mike's other half :rolleyes: )

I've really enjoyed reading through this sensible thread.

As Mike has said our prep time has significantly reduced the more times we have travelled in Southern Africa - I sometimes feel I know my way around Namibia, Botswana and parts of South Africa as well as this country. Before our first visit in 04 we had never travelled outside these shores but we took the plunge and organised everything ourselves and in my opinion that was part of the thrill of the whole trip. It took approx 18 month because the info we needed was not as freely available as it is now as more people become that little bit more adventurous. In 07 we just went as Mike has said and had 6 glorious months living as nomads.

The main reason I am saying no to the London to Cape Town trip is that I would want to spend as much time in each country as we have done in the southern countries visiting them thoroughly and not just passing through on a tick list to a final destination which in itself is worth a long visit not just the 2/3 days that the tour companies allow. There is of course the added problem of political situations which can change daily in that part of the world, visa regulations, and newly imposed carbon/tourist taxes that these countries have recently cottoned on to which push up the costs very significantly.

By the way- how many of are actually aware of our ages?????

Margaret (using Mike's log-in)

I'm not saying NO drawer. It might not work for you.

Where we both find the drawer useful is the way thewheel changing tools are always available.

Then the cooker. Easy to get for a quick cuppa.

The step on the spare wheel. Well I saw one in J'berg on a Discovery. It had two steps then the top bit. All held in place with a ratchet strap. All I did was copy to make it suit my needs

Wolff Boxes.

We find the Hi-lids a lot stronger than the lo lids. However AFAIK the hi lids don't fit into the load well under a board.

We also use Wolff boxes for flight cases. Yep honest. cable tie then up and tape over the ties....

Book.

Yes we'd both like to. Even if only to help others.

So...

Would some kind person tell/help us get the stuff off the website onto pages.

We are at Driffield all the weekend

You'll find us on the RAIDERS OFF ROAD CLUB stand.

mike

Mike & Margaret,

I guessed that you were "of an age", although dont quite know what that age may be, nor do I care. You both present very eloquent, informative & easy to read matter, your age matters not one bit! You are both obviously experienced & having fun, and that is enough for me to want to sit down & chat over a bottle of wine with you both.

Margaret, my aim in going to Cape Town, is certainly not just a tick-box exercise. I , too, dont just want to spend a day or two in each country, with the result being a race to get to the finish. I am quite fortunate that I am able to take extended time off from work, and my postion will be open to me upon my return, so I will take at least a year off to cross Africa. The safety/political situation, I agree with, but I would not let that stop me. Being Africa, you could just as easily make the crossing hassle free, as you could with it all going wrong....you just dont know; so dont worry about it and do it.

As I have said, I think I have won Jude over to the idea, as she now mentions it, unprompted by me. But she would be ever so much happier if there were strength in numbers. Think about it Margaret, you know in your heart you want to!!

Mike, as for a book....what do I need to tell you? Just arrange everything logically like you do in your threads, present it as an easy to read format and your off. Getting a book published seems to be what puts most aspiring writers off I guess, but that can be addressed rather easily too.

There is a company that publishes for independent writers, called Publish And Be Damned www.pabd.com and they publish small amounts to order for relatively little cost. I have a copy of a book published by them, and it is fantastically made. If you are interested, the book is "Moods of Future Joys" by Alastair Humphreys, a Yorkshireman who cycled around the world. "Moods" is the book covering just the Africa crossing. www.alastairhumphreys.com

My aim after completing LDN - CT, was to chronicle the build-up to & the journey itself, as there is not a single book out there that has all the information in one place.

Martin

Thanks for those kind words Martin and your little bit of encouragement.

A year is the full legal time that could be taken over the adventure due to tax/MOT constraints and the fact that african countries are now checking that foreign vehicles are taxed in their country of origin. Also the Carnet is only issued for 12 months. They do say that it could be extended for extenuating circumstances whatever they might be but that does not keep your tax in place.

Margaret

Thanks for those kind words Martin and your little bit of encouragement.

A year is the full legal time that could be taken over the adventure due to tax/MOT constraints and the fact that african countries are now checking that foreign vehicles are taxed in their country of origin. Also the Carnet is only issued for 12 months. They do say that it could be extended for extenuating circumstances whatever they might be but that does not keep your tax in place.

Margaret

Yup, aware of the maximum time I could be away for. To be fair, for several reasons, not least of wich is the financial reason, more than a year is a very long time to be away from home for.

Martin