Stronger CV's for LR axles

have a set of Longfields. Took 8 days to arrive. Roughly 2/3 price of Ashcroft stuff- think i spent £400 for 2 CVs and strengthened half shafts, mainly due to strong exchange rates. Lifetime warranty against breakages but not wear (as you would expect).

Strength wise- difficult to say- Longfield are happy to run their CVs with up to 44" tires with a welded diff so they obviously feel they are pretty strong! well known in the US scene as being nigh on indestructible.

can't comment on Longfield customer services as i have not had to use them.

Dont think you should have any qualms whatsoever in using Ashcrofts- if they did stuff for toyotas i would have spent the extra and bought their kit!

i think you'll struggle to get longfields now unless you do the whole toy conversion.

http://www.rovertracks.com/products/axles.html

now out of production and according to the above, the manufacturer (rockford aeromatic i think is the name, although i may have that a bit wrong) was asked to stop producing the rover longfields at the request of another more expensive manufacturer.

so unless you can find some that have not yet been sold i think your decision is made for you.

later on date in the year had been bandied about on pirate for the resumption production of rover longfields/longtracks.

also remember that longfield versions are/were 27 spline at the cv end like toyota and they did not make an aue 2522 version, only the later type, which i cannot remmeber the number of. in the unlikely event you break one, you can't make a temprary substitution with a standard part whilst you wait for your free replacement.

hope that helps.

i think you'll struggle to get longfields now unless you do the whole toy conversion.

http://www.rovertracks.com/products/axles.html

now out of production and according to the above, the manufacturer (rockford aeromatic i think is the name, although i may have that a bit wrong) was asked to stop producing the rover longfields at the request of another more expensive manufacturer.

so unless you can find some that have not yet been sold i think your decision is made for you.

later on date in the year had been bandied about on pirate for the resumption production of rover longfields/longtracks.

also remember that longfield versions are/were 27 spline at the cv end like Toyota and they did not make an aue 2522 version, only the later type, which i cannot remmeber the number of. in the unlikely event you break one, you can't make a temprary substitution with a standard part whilst you wait for your free replacement.

hope that helps.

Hi Callum.

So what you do insinuate is actually that another retail supplier off such a product have put pressure on their manufacture (Rockford) in order not to supply Bobby whit LR cv's or am I way out off line :blink::unsure:

I see some logic in using std splines,but the people that I know, that uses stuff like this they do always carry spares either at home or in the "service truck" because they does not want to mis a weekends competition just because off a blown CV.

It might be easier then to go for the Toyo conversion which these days seems to be quite common and not at all as expensive as the LR things.

Regards

Ole.

As they fit 300/Td5 late style front axles you can keep the old CV/axle and swap them should you ever break one...just like normal CV/axle combo.

No mods required,drop in.

If you have 2522 style CVs,as Callum said, they're not for you unless you update the whole package.

Toy conversion requires mods and it's a further step up...I'll pick a couple of spare axles up soon and will do in the next months ^_^

(hopefully :blink: )

they do always carry spares either at home or in the "service truck" because they does not want to mis a weekends competition just because off a blown CV.

Ole.

Hearsay is a wonderful thing even if a carp Band!

facts are far harder to come by.

I wonder why there are no facts on the Rovertracks page

just "So I heard" comment

Hi Tony.

Yes facts is a hard thing to come by and some times they are not revealed to Joe the block since it is not for him to now off.

I just want to find out what the gain is paying about 35% more for the Ashcroft thing in relation to the Longfield version ;)

By the way what do you mean by carp band :unsure:

Regards

Ole.

1st class service/back up and a gntee worth the paper it is on

cheaper shipping cost if you have an issue, faster turn around times

someone who will help out at any time.

supplies a huge range of L/R products.

I'd rather pay the extra to support UK companies

I appreciate you aren't UK based.

thats why I'd pay a more and did so.

:unsure:

Yeah, in todays cut throat market I can just see a manufcatuer stopping making something they sell as another one asks them to stop ?

:rofl:

Nige

1st class service/back up and a gntee worth the paper it is on

cheaper shipping cost if you have an issue, faster turn around times

someone who will help out at any time.

supplies a huge range of L/R products.

I'd rather pay the extra to support UK companies

I appreciate you aren't UK based.

thats why I'd pay a more and did so.

i feel this is a little unfair on Longfield Tony- you seem to be insinuating some pretty serious allegations against them.

There Guarantee is pretty set in stone- a few guys on Pirate have used the longfields guarantee and not had a problem. Shipping costs aren't huge and turn around was pretty fast- i could have had my longfields on my doorstep within 3 days had i wanted, and as the Cvs are significantly cheaper than other similar UK stuff if makes sense to keep a spare CV on the truck. Yes shipping costs are higher, but then the initial purchase puice is much lower.

I have had no problems at all with the level of service from Bobby Longfield- he was more than happy to chat to me about what they did and the limitations of the product- they were easy to get hold of, friendly and id exactly as i asked. In fact they shipped far sooner than i expected.

Obviously i haven't had a chance to really give the CVs a good kicking, but i have no worries about them- they have done as much, if not more, destructive testing than Ashcrofts and have had longer to perfect their product!

Personally i'd rather support a UK supplier like Ashcrofts too, BUT that doesn't mean you should slag off their competition unfairly- Longfields are a reputable, quality company whose products work extremely well.

you read to much then Jim

I quantified what Ashcrofts supply

sod all to do with any other supplier

can't see anywhere I said Longfields are carp

longfields gntee is worthless

can you?

but I do have parts that have broken easily

from other suppliers that when you check back with them the gntee is worthless

try claiming damage to a winch if it has seen water.

what would it cost to get them on your doorstep then Jim in 3 days?

how much would it cost to return them if needs be?

would you incur shipping to get then returned to you.

I can answer the above for Ashcroft supplied ones

it cost me£12 to get my CVs back to Ashcrofts

I incurred no charges for the return

I had them removed/returned to Ashcrofts and back to me in 3 days.

FFS have a read exactly what I said Jim

before typing such crud and suggesting I am insinuating anything.

If I wanted to say it I would

No need to beat around the bush on this forum.

honesty is welcomed all day long B/S and rubbish can go on elsewhere

And I thought this was a friendly forum...

:unsure:

Back to the original questions:

As per description what are the pros and cons on these two brands?

Have anybody got any real life experience?

What is the availability?

Regards

Ole.

Pro:very good product.

Cons: put the two brands in the same sentence and see reaction :(

One thing,these CVs go with their own axles given the 27 splines so you can't mix with other Rover stuff.

Real life...I could say "I know a guy with big tyres and heavy foot" but this could mean nothing.

You can ask guys on Pirate and other boards and hear good things about,first hand.

Availability:sadly not so much left until production starts again somewhere else as you can read on Keith's website.

:blink:

Play nicely everyone post-22-1208424974.gif, this stops NOW

I think the problem often with forums is the written word(s) can be taken in differing ways dependant on who reads what

and how they read it, Both CVs are in my mind qulaity stuff, choice is for everyone, I too would prob chose ashcrofts

as location is UK and their service is qulaity and thats worth a lot, that doesn't mean LongFs are not just as good.

Sometimes things can be typed out in haste and the meaning / words don't quite come over correctly,

whatever the case stop this going further, and either take to PM or better accept its a communication error,

better than for things to get daft and escalate

so.....its a Group Hug now or post-22-1208425000.gif

OK ?

Nige

I guess product and strength wise there is not a lot to choose between Ashcroft and Longfield as IIRC they are both 4340 chromoly…………. ;)

However, being in the UK I would always go the route of Ashcroft ……….. if it all went t!ts up then you can be assured that a call to Dave would see you with a replacement product the next day……………….I am also sure that a call to Bobby Long in Washington would produce a similar result, but shipping time is going to be an issue.

Both guys have a terrific reputation for good customer service..................

:)

Ian

Hi Folks

Uha and I thought off this as a friendly forum, well in the end it turned out so :rolleyes: , thank you everybody for your ethusiasm in replying.

I think Hybrid put it wery well down in plaintext ;) what can go wrong when we have to rely on only btw 10-20% off our communication capabilities meaning that when we speak 10-20% is the words the rest is the way we say it and the way we speak with the body.

Re the CV's, at the end off the day it is as we say in Danish " it is a question if you like the daugther or the mother" they are the same blod :blink::unsure:

Have a nice day everybody

Regards

Ole.