What's it worth?

Brett

I've just paid £300 for a good working 8274 with a Bowmotor, brand new solenoids and brand new roller fairlead, brand new brake kit etc.

I paid £30 a few years back for an M8000 with a poorly motor.

On that basis I wouldnt give you £200 for a broken one!

Why not fix it and then sell it as a good working order unit?

Jon

I've just paid £300 for a good working 8274 with a Bowmotor, brand new solenoids and brand new roller fairlead, brand new brake kit etc.

I paid £30 a few years back for an M8000 with a poorly motor.

On that basis I wouldnt give you £200 for a broken one!

Why not fix it and then sell it as a good working order unit?

Jon

Brett, I think £150 - £200's fair. People often ask for too much for winches. The case in point was Sodbury; one seller was asking £300 for a frankly dangerous (and VERY dead 8274) and £600 for a 'rebuilt' (brake was f***ed and the hylomar was visible :blink: ) with a new motor (Husky one so that was totally unsuitable...). Its all about condition and model; an XD9000i is a reasonably good winch so the price won't be rock bottom.

I got a Warn XD9000 winch and it cost me almost 600 squids about 3-years ago.

Not quite the topic, but the solenoid pack is pants - wires are too short and the casing is rubbish. I had it on a 109 and it was always up to the job. Good winch, but the rest of it is poorly thought out.

Brett - are you selling yours or just working out if it's worth fixing?

Les. :)

I'd agree with you on that - XD9000 is very similar to the M8000 - all the gears etc are the same.

Let down by a motor that lets more water in than the titanic, and cr@p solenoids. I replaced mine with Allbrights when they died, and have re-cabled it all in 35mm welding earth cable. The Bowmotor that come on the 8274 is going onto it, along with a sealed armature bearing from an 8274. I'm then going to silicone the whole lot up and seal it all and hopefully then have a waterproof motor!

I've got a blingy 6Hp Xp motor coming for the front winch! B)

I'd agree that winches are overpriced! Took me ages to find an 8274 for an acceptable price, especially bearing mind a brand new 8274-50 is now only about £800 including vat, a 2nd hand one in my book is not really worth £500 when you take that into account!

Jon

I'd agree that winches are overpriced! Took me ages to find an 8274 for an acceptable price, especially bearing mind a brand new 8274-50 is now only about £800 including vat, a 2nd hand one in my book is not really worth £500 when you take that into account!

Jon

Totally agree, winch prices have fallen massivly over the last few years and, anything other than a superb 2nd hand 8274-50 isn't worth a penny more than £500, and then anything that isn't a 50 is deffinatly worth £400 tops (fully rebuilt, new motor, brake pack etc).

Back onto the XD9000i, I'd go for Albrights straight away as the standard solinoids do seem pretty useless.

Totally agree, winch prices have fallen massivly over the last few years and, anything other than a superb 2nd hand 8274-50 isn't worth a penny more than £500, and then anything that isn't a 50 is deffinatly worth £400 tops (fully rebuilt, new motor, brake pack etc).

Back onto the XD9000i, I'd go for Albrights straight away as the standard solinoids do seem pretty useless.

Offer the guy £50 first off, he can only say no. Bugger being reasonable ! :)

Mo

I got a Warn XD9000 winch and it cost me almost 600 squids about 3-years ago.

Not quite the topic, but the solenoid pack is pants - wires are too short and the casing is rubbish. I had it on a 109 and it was always up to the job. Good winch, but the rest of it is poorly thought out.

Brett - are you selling yours or just working out if it's worth fixing?

Les. :)

Les, I'm thinking of buying not selling! ;)

Thanks for the advice guys.

Brett