LED SIDE LIGHT BULBS

dred90

I'm looking to replace the sidelight bulbs on my defender (r5w) with the led type. I've looked at the ultraled site and it appears to be the (207 / 245 / 382) 15mm Bayonet White 9 Led Replacement Bulb which i need - can anyone confirm this to be the right one?? Was also looking at replacing the interior light with a colured led one - anyone done this?? ;)

Yep thats the one. B4 u fit check the polarity of the lamp holder, its probably wired cap +ve and pip -ve, the leds need it the other way round so u will have to cut and rejoin the wires.

The led bulbs tend to be longer which may cause problems if u have the 300Tdi on, combined holder and connector. The led may touch the back inside of the lens b4 the holder is in enough to twist and lock in. Try it and see....

[Threadjack]

I've got headlights with a sidelight bulb option - can I get hold of LED bulbs for these?

From what i've seen from the ultraleds website as long as you're bulb wasn't manufactured on mars, they've probably got an LED version of it

[Threadjack]

I've got headlights with a sidelight bulb option - can I get hold of LED bulbs for these?

Yes not a problem.

Make sure you get a diffused or wide angle LED as the "standard" LEDs tend to be a little too directional to provide a nice pattern in the lamp.

I can also highly recommend UltraLEDS, I have used them a few times and have no complaints, one batch of LEDs blew within 2 weeks of use, Robert (the guy that runs Ultraleds) replaced them with an upgrade and after investigating, found it to be a dodgy batch from the manufacturer.

No link with Ultraleds, other than a satisfied punter.

Edited by Mean Green

Simon, would i be right in thinking that you sell these instrument led kits, in which case i'd be better off getting them from you..

Buy Simon's gauge led's there great, :D I've recently fitted a set and can't figure out how I was ever able to read the gauges before.

Simon, would i be right in thinking that you sell these instrument led kits, in which case i'd be better off getting them from you..

Simon, how much are these kits and what do they comprise? I'd need bulbs for the speedo, fuel, water and voltmeter. Do they just plug in where the existing bulbs go, or do you need adaptors? I'm guessing that the LED's themselves are coloured so I don't need the plastic covers (which I've melted on the speedo :huh: ).

Cheers,

Richard

Simon, how much are these kits and what do they comprise? I'd need bulbs for the speedo, fuel, water and voltmeter. Do they just plug in where the existing bulbs go, or do you need adaptors? I'm guessing that the LED's themselves are coloured so I don't need the plastic covers (which I've melted on the speedo :huh: ).

Cheers,

Richard

Standard kit is for fuel /temp/speedo. Direct fit, no adapters/resistors/wiring changes. Can supply leds for other non standard gauges but u must send me a pic of bulb for those gauges to sidef@aol.com as they are usually different. Polarity sensitive so 50% chance of fitting them the right way round 1st time!

Self coloured so doesn't matter if the lens is shot. Blue leds still give blue dials with green lens. new stock in with lower prices, as a rough guide about £2/led but email me with ur requirements. Non standard leds are a bit more...

Edited by simonb

Standard kit is for fuel /temp/speedo. Direct fit, no adapters/resistors/wiring changes. Can supply leds for other non standard gauges but u must send me a pic of bulb for those gauges to sidef@aol.com as they are usually different. Polarity sensitive so 50% chance of fitting them the right way round 1st time!

Self coloured so doesn't matter if the lens is shot. Blue leds still give blue dials with green lens. new stock in with lower prices, as a rough guide about £2/led but email me with ur requirements. Non standard leds are a bit more...

Bulb pic sent.. B)

• 2 weeks later...
Thing is, I don't want brighter instruments, just more contrast and more even lighting.

don't buy them then.

Go the expensive route and fit some adapted instruments off a "modern" car. If it bothers you that much anything is do-able, check out wjhat the custom car / street car guys do with their motors.

Jas