Waffle mounting

MogLite

I'm gonna put some brackets on my MogLites cage for putting waffles/sand ladders/bridging ladders on the roof - its the only space I've got.

Bolting them down front and rear is the obvious choice, possibly with wingnuts.

But has anyone had any success with any other fittings such as

• pins and r-clips
  • Antiluce fittings (like series tailgates)
  • Any thing else ?

Why bolt down front and rear - how about a 'slot' for the one end to go into and then just bolt down (or whatever) the other end, would be quicker to get on/off.

I used to use some big 12" home made wing nuts (bent piece of flat with a nut welded to the middle) for the waffles in Alf. Worked quite well as you could spin them on and off. Two drawbacks though, you can't tie the wing nuts to the truck like you can with R-clips as it makes spinning then on/off difficult, and secondly you need a spacer plate between the wing nut and the waffle to stop the wing nut chewing the waffle, I suppose a big washer welded to the bottom of the wing nut might sort this.

Bolting them down front and rear is the obvious choice, possibly with wingnuts.

I thought exactly the same, and bolted them down front and rear, then used wing nuts to hold it down. Unfortunately, it isn't quite as good as I had expected (although I don't want to admit it to Turbocharger, who will say "I told you so").

If I did it again (and I probably will) I would make some way of sliding them into a bracket on the roof (from the side) then putting some kind of clip in to stop them falling out. As it is, it would take about 10 minutes to get them off the roof - great for preventing them being nicked, but a right PITA to use.

If you are in Gloucestershire anytime, come and have a go at taking them off then putting them back on - you will soon see what I mean.

Andy - how about sliding into a slot one end with a canvas-type strap the other - isn't the Ibex arranged like this?

Seems like a lot less hassle than fiddling with wingnuts in the cold / mud & losing the damn thing...!

Al.

Yeah I've got the "slots'n'straps" method on the Ibex.

Its okay there because the treebars sit proud of the roof, and so it was easy to do.

With MogLite the roof/cage are as one.

If I put 2" tall brackets on the roof - I will have trouble getting it in/out of the garage

ive got a couple of big plastic nut handle things that i use............ metric nut inside a big plastic knob..... easy to get off in the cold with gloves.

have a couple spare so pm me an addy if your interested and i'll post them.

graham

Andy how about those inflatable waffles? they were very light..

Dolly - yeah they were great - next time you are out in Eastern Europe, can you get me a couple of sets ?

Even with those, they still need securing to the roof some how, and preferably quick'ish release.

Gelf - you got a PM - thanks

Andy

you say you may not get Moglite out of garage? but have you thought how you are going to get said waffles ladders etc down off roof when you need to use them? i know you are tall.... but Moglite is taller!!

Not my job - thats my vertically challenged co-drivers job :P

I'm building in grab-handles and steps as we speak. Bonnet and roof etc are all designed to be walked on if necessary.

Its not that tall currently - a few inches lower than the Ibex. But the big tyres have yet to go on.

Its not ideal but its the only place I can put them.

well personally i wouldn't put them on the roof, ali used to have his on the roof when he had h/top, fine when nice and clean but as soon as they were covered in mud they weren't that easy to throw back up quickly, thought about stickin em on the sides?

it yas wanna use the fibres - hows about.....

C section receiver mounted above windscreen

short stub with a hitch clip for each waffle mounted rear side (or the other way round if you want them front loaders) - that way when they bow you have the "slop" to still fit them, come off easy with cold pinkies and go on relatively easily too if you dont want to/havent got time to fit them exactly the way they came off

Wing nuts IMO are the work of the devil - hitch pins on string baby any day of the week

well personally i wouldn't put them on the roof, ali used to have his on the roof when he had h/top, fine when nice and clean but as soon as they were covered in mud they weren't that easy to throw back up quickly, thought about stickin em on the sides?

Yeah I know where you are comming from. I might do a set of mounts on the side at a later date. But its going to be touch and go if I can get a 4' waffle on the side.

Dolly can't use the c-section idea, it will permanently increase the height, and make the garage out of bounds :(

I have my alloy bridges on the plywood board which is fixed to the base of my roof rack. The fixing (which I haven't finished yet) is two M10 bolts up through the board. At the moment they are fixed on with wing nuts, to stop the boards rattling (I carry the boards all the time) but my intention is to take the bolts out again and drill them to allow R clips to be used for "quick release". That way I can have them held on with R clips and easily available when I might need them, or wing nuts when I am using the vehicle on the road to stop them rattling. The R clips will have a retaining wire attached to something so I don't lose them. Best of both worlds I thought :)

I used to use ratchet straps but they are a total PITA - my long term intention is to have proper quick release brackets to carry everything on the roof rack (Kittygripper etc) but so far I've only got around to having the spare wheel and the bridges :unsure:

The other thing about using wing nuts is to keep the threads lubricated and take them off occasionally otherwise you find out the threads are seized and rusty when you really didn't want to find it out

With all that extra height you've gained with the portals why not mount them underslung :P

I'll get me coat :ph34r:

He can't there's no room underneath cos it's taken up with side-steps... :ph34r: B)

Clearance is all very well, but you've got to be able to get in, right?! :P

Andy - how about vertically mounted just behind the seats (but attached to the sides) - either side of the engine?

Al.

Edited by Astro_Al

kind of slip in style inside the back at the sides, bit like spare wheels in the back of desert racers, different shape (obviously :rolleyes: )but same idea

Hmmm - interesting - I'll have to have a look when I get home. I think the rear shocks have got that area, but their placement isn't finalised yet. :)

Hmmm - interesting - I'll have to have a look when I get home. I think the rear shocks have got that area, but their placement isn't finalised yet. :)

spring loaded wing nuts with large washers would have been my first choice but HFH is on the right tracks I think. How about some spring loaded bonnet catches, you can just about see one next to the lamps on this. not sure how secure they will be off road but quick to undo/do up which if you are competing is no. 2 priority.

02GF-front.JPG

no guesses what santa got for me :P

I really need to solve this problem too until I go trayback. I've tried on the roof before but they were a PITA as they're heavy when muddy. The solution at the moment is just slung in the back with all the other recovery gear. Its not very neat and they're not secured so I don't really like it much. I'm thinking again about something on the roof; probably slide in with one quick release latch on the back. The big problem is making something up to stop the front end rattling but still makes slidign it in easy enough....

Andy, how about sliding yours in behind (or under) the seats. That way theyre easy to get at and not too high. Other option is 2 somewhere easy and 2 more out of the way. Most of the time 2 is enough, its only a few occasions you need the extra ones.....

ilgdvl.jpg

A guy called Paperbag B) in Guyana made us these big bits of threaded bar with a nut welded on the end below

the bonnet and another nut holding them in place. Just throw the waffles onto the bonnet and move on

to the next section. For road use they were stored on the roof. The threaded bars can be easily removed

too, easier if most of the thread would be machined off. :blink:

cheers,

tom

I did following to store my waffles on the roof :

I made a sliding tray UNDER the roofrack. On the front the tray has an end. At the back I secure them with a normal stratch.

The advantages in doing it this way are :

* You still have full access / full space on the roofrack.

* You can take them out and put them back in and secure them in less than a minute.

* If they are muddy, you don't get the interior all dirty.

For me it works fine anyway.