Spanner Racks

sotal

I'm after some "Spanner Racks" or "Wrench Racks" as they seem to be known.

Something like this:

http://www.tools-n-all.co.uk/items/item.as...ELAID=154250870

But they seem to sell for £6-£7 pounds for a pair like that or £10+ for a set of 4.

Which for what they are seems a right rip off - any suggestions where to get them cheaper - or any alternative ways of doing it.

Really I want a set of 4

(Yes I am being a cheap skate)

I use a magnetic strip for the sockets and a line of nails for the spanners. Clips and fancy brackets become a right pain if you are using/replacing lots of tools. For the sockets I bought a magnetic 'socket strip' from Halfords, then cut the curved bits off so that it's just a 90-deg angle with a magnetic strip on. You can cut to suit any amount or size of socket then.

Les.

I use a magnetic strip for the sockets and a line of nails for the spanners. Clips and fancy brackets become a right pain if you are using/replacing lots of tools. For the sockets I bought a magnetic 'socket strip' from Halfords, then cut the curved bits off so that it's just a 90-deg angle with a magnetic strip on. You can cut to suit any amount or size of socket then.

Les.

I just use magnetic kniferacks type things ususlly found in pound shops charity shops and car boots.

I use a item called "the Floor"

Gravity assists in always having your tools handy and on a simple plain area with all the others

Like a self levelling system :lol:

If 'Too far spread' around an item called "The Broom" can move them closer to you

You think I Jest :lol: ??

Nige

That's my current system, I'm just getting fed up of never being able to find the right one. I only got a house with a garage a year ago, it's a nice size garage but it's been full of carp since we moved in - just getting round to sorting it out now, so I'm trying to sort better storage and organisation, without spending a fortune.

I like the Ernst type spanner racks but £10+p&p seems expensive to me for a little bit of plastic. I'll have a look at the magnetic strips, I would just like it to be obvious if one spanner is missing etc. Maybe the strips could be engraved?

I don't use my tools all that much, spanners and sockets probably get used once a month usually, or more often when the Land Rovers misbehave.

For sockets I like the rails with slideable clips on them that the square drive fits on, though unlike some people on here the tools at home travel quite a bit further so being able to pick up a rail of sockets + ratcket in one had is very useful.

The scattered gavity assiseded method works well, though biggest problem we had with that one was when the workshop got tidied once in a while and for the next few weeks we cloudn't find anything we wanted.

Depends how much space you have for different types of storage, if you have the wall space then shadow boards are nice at telling you whats gone missing. Space is far to limited for the qantity of tools at home so spanners live lose in tool boxes or just boxes in general of one description or another. The 5L plastic drums that stuff like oil comes in are very useful as storage with one side cut away.

An easyish DIY for holding sockets if you can mount it the right way up is a length of metal (plate if its to sit flat on a surface or angle if its screwed to a vertical surface) and weld short lengths of 1/2" or 3/8" etc. bar to it for the sokets to sit on.

I use a item called "the Floor"

Gravity assists in always having your tools handy and on a simple plain area with all the others

Like a self levelling system :lol:

If 'Too far spread' around an item called "The Broom" can move them closer to you

You think I Jest :lol: ??

Nige

I used to use this system but have recently upgraded to the 'small tarp' system, this does away for the need for the broom attachment and also ensures a slightly drier and cleaner bit to lay on (at least to begin with)

Agreed - I've got the snap-on racks and find they're great cos you can take the whole set of spanners to a job if need be as they're not stuck down. They also have holes to allow them to be wall mounted if desired too. Snap-on do the moulded racks as in the photo above, aswell as the self adhesive rails that you trim down to fit. Surprisingly they're not that expensive - I think the moulded racks are only about 6 or & quid.

I've also got the snap-on socket rails and find them excelletn for the same reasons - keep things nicely in order, you can easily pick the whole set up, and best of all if you drop it you dont spend the rest of the day putting all the sockets back in their respective holes like you do every time you drop a socket set!

Jon

im gonna use material, kinda like a spanner roll but hanging on nails (removable) for everything exept sockets (cos theyre already in box sets). But my sister is a curtain maker and owes me for putting up an infinite number of poles :D