Who's been playin with Hydro assist?

Boothy

Got my steering pump sorted now with a ZF74 and I have been wondering (as you do in moments of bordom or mention of shopping trips) and have been toying with a DIY hydro assist using the steering box as a supply for a ram,

Question is who's been there seen it and done it, and is willing to share before i spend loads of time and money in the wrong direction, I still don't fancy the full hydro steer because I do a few miles on the road to my mates car wash (saves me hours of cleaning drains and drives) and his washers are much better than mine.

Any ideas are more than welcome please boys :huh::)

Boothy

There are quite a few threads on here if you search for them.

I've purchased the ram for mine, but not fitted it - for information its a "log splitter" ram, cost about £30 and is ideal size/bore, much cheaper than the alternatives.

I have seen that instead of drilling and tapping the steering box it might be possible to 'T' into 2 of the 3 steel pipes that are external to be steering box. I don't know if this is supposition or fact.

This is assuming a 4 bolt steering box...

If it's fact then I also would like to know which of the 2 pipes.....

I have seen that instead of drilling and tapping the steering box it might be possible to 'T' into 2 of the 3 steel pipes that are external to be steering box. I don't know if this is supposition or fact.

This is assuming a 4 bolt steering box...

If it's fact then I also would like to know which of the 2 pipes.....

Rogue Vogue's your man for this!

You put a T in the link pipe (metal pipe linking two parts of steering box) then attach a fitting to the bleed nipple on the top - that's all you need.

Si

Its a fact as SimonR has said, the man to speak to is David @ Llama4x4

David is fantastic for making up unusual hydraulic solutions.

post-74-1209375073_thumb.jpg

And very good value too!

He'll be getting the order for my rear steer pipework in the next few days!

For the ram, looking at other peoples setups, I reckon a piston area of between 1 and 2 square inch and a stroke of between 150 and 250mm is good. The longer the stroke, the smaller the area needs to be - but virtually all off them seem to fit within those bounds.

My rams both have 50mm bore with a 30mm rod (whose area is effectively subtracted from the piston area) and a stroke of 160mm.

Si