Seatbelt bolts... what size thread?

Guest deleted

Guest diesel_jim

I need to get a tap to clean out the thread on my galvanised B pillars for the seatbelt upper mounts.

anyone know what the thread is? its quite a fine thread but a big diameter bolt, like 12 or 14mm.

thanks!

7/16 UNF is the seat belt mounting boss thread and the law says you are not allowed to tap them, in the event of damage they have to be replaced :) Assuming of course that they know :)

Oddly on the vans I used to work on, the lower (reel) mount was M12 x 1.75, upper mounts were M10 x 1.5 and the seat mounting was 7/16 UNF ! You could tap the metric threads but not the imperial ! :blink:

Mo

Guest diesel_jim
7/16 UNF is the seat belt mounting boss thread and the law says you are not allowed to tap them, in the event of damage they have to be replaced :) Assuming of course that they know :)

Oddly on the vans I used to work on, the lower (reel) mount was M12 x 1.75, upper mounts were M10 x 1.5 and the seat mounting was 7/16 UNF ! You could tap the metric threads but not the imperial ! :blink:

Mo

Cheers for that everyone.

of course, i'll certainly not be attempting to re-tap the threads in my freshly galvanised (un-weldable thus un-replaceable threaded bits) B pillars.

now, on a totally unrelated project i'm doing, i also need a 7/16ths tap :unsure::unsure: anyone got one i can borrow (there are only 2 threads for me to tap, doesn't seem worth buying a tap for that.... hey, 2 threads, thats the same amount as the 2 B pillars, what a co-incidence! :lol::lol::ph34r::ph34r: )

IF you happened to be worried that the galving process may have softened the mount you could always stick a nut on the back as well, just on the off chance that a tap happpened to get blown by the wind into the hole, and the only way to get it out was to turn it....

Mike

• 2 months later...
Guest diesel_jim

Just digging this thread up from the dungeons.....

i don't suppose anyone has a 7/16th UNF tap i could borrow for a few minutes do they? :wub::wub:

Guest diesel_jim
I might have one Jim. I have a whole box of assorted taps. I'll look tomorrow and text you.

Les.

Thanks Les, appreciate that mate.

I do not know how hard the material you want to clean out of these fictitious holes is Jamie, but you can make your own thread cleaning tap out of an old bolt of the correct size and an angle grinder. I imagine that one could also harden such a home made tap with a blow lamp and a pot of oil...

Chris

Guest diesel_jim
I do not know how hard the material you want to clean out of these fictitious holes is Jamie, but you can make your own thread cleaning tap out of an old bolt of the correct size and an angle grinder. I imagine that one could also harden such a home made tap with a blow lamp and a pot of oil...

Chris

these non existant holes have been galvanised Chris, so it's not too hard really, but needs something with a decent cutting edge to clear away the muck.

Guest diesel_jim

Excellent! thanks guys.

not heard from Les, although he's more than likely out grafting, so i'll let you (Mark & Freeagent) know later on.

Jamie