Ian M

200tdi Alternator Upgrade Options?

i currently have a 65amp one fitted! is there a higher amperage one out there for a 200tdi (v-belt set up pulley)?

i have done a search, and have found some pictures cider man posted of a twin set up, but its on a defender 200tdi engine, but mine is the disco one, and the pas pump is in a different position!

and one got any ideas, input, pictures etc etc?

Ian

i believe you can go to 100A on a v belt before they start shredding belts so i would go with a 100 or 90Amp on, not sure but arent A/C disco 200tdis with 90A ones? or get a 300tdi one may have to change the hand of it.

In fact disco lump makes it easier to fit a different alternator as its not limited by the block etc.

Later Range Rover alternators are 90A if I remember right....

i have just fitted a skoda octavia TDi one (120A @14v) & it works, have to lengthen the adjuster & make a new bracket to suit the bottom but other than that it fits straight on, fitted it all up & measered the rough length of belt i need so at the mo i have 10mm pulleys but a 13mm belt on them, was at drumclog at the weekend & even though i was heavy winching the alternator never squelled or dropped the battery voltage below 10.8 volts

I run a Disco 300Tdi 100amp Marelli alternator on my Defender spec 200Tdi on the vee belt. can't see why it wouldn't fit the Disco 200Tdi.

I run a Disco 300Tdi 100amp Marelli alternator on my Defender spec 200Tdi on the vee belt. can't see why it wouldn't fit the Disco 200Tdi.

can you change the 300tdi flat type pulley to a v-pulley off a 200tdi then?

can you change the 300tdi flat type pulley to a v-pulley off a 200tdi then?

Well I did, so Yes :D you only need the Vee pulley, the 100amp Marelli Alt. has a internal fan so the external fan isn't required, mines been fitted in excess of 10 years without any problems.

you can see it in this photo, just above the PSP, the only difficult bit is adjusting the belt or replacing the belt.

post-20-1209407106_thumb.jpg

OK, just to clarify all of this.

- AMR5425 is the right part number?

- It mounts straight on with no mods?

- Just need to redo the power wiring to suit and swap over the pulley?

I need a new alternator as I lost the rectifier this weekend... With all the carp I keep adding the 45 Amp POS is not really up to the task.

AMR5425 = 100amp Marrelli [same as mine]

IIRC the rear part of the casing was rotated, I can't be absolutly sure as mine was fitted over 10 years ago.

wiring to battery & starter beefed up

remove multi groove pulley & fit the Vee pulley from your existing alternator, fan not required as the 100amp has a internal fan.

hth :D

OK, thanks. Looking at online photos, http://www.woodauto.com/Component.aspx?Ref=ALT12025 the case needs rotating to get the adjuster on the correct size. As I have to order from the wrong side of the planet, returning things is not normally in the cards.....so I'm just trying to make sure it will work.

300tdi disco alternator (with a/c) fits straight on to a disco 200 tdi.

You need to swap over the pulleys, but other thn that it fits traight on.

You also need to upgrade the charging cable to something much better - I think I used 16mm^2 cable.

hth

Mark

300tdi disco alternator (with a/c) fits straight on to a disco 200 tdi.

So that looks like this?

med_gallery_2_24_967909.jpg

Which definitely has the adjuster on the opposite side, but rotating the body should fix that. The Defender location is quite tight to the intercooler piping, so it is important that it is not much bigger.

These 2 might help, shows the adjuster link & the front lower bolt to bracket.the rear lower bolt is exactly in-line with the front one. I'd have to do some dismantling to get anymore photo's.

post-20-1215162382_thumb.jpg

post-20-1215162416_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ralph. I'm convinced to go this way. I'll take photos during the install and update this thread.

Glad they helped, with your photo's & more info, we can get this dropped into the tech archive later.

OK, well that does not work....

First there is no way to rotate the case with the one I got (Denso). Second you need to rotate 120 degrees and there are 4 bolts so even if you could only 90 degree increments are possible, which I suppose I should have noticed.

So I would suggest not trying this. The one Ralph has must be different.

Unfortunately an expensive lesson on my end as I'm stuck with the damn thing.

Mines a Marrelli 100amp original vehicle fit in my reply above.

I've been having a scrounge through the wreckers..... It is a very uncommon mount style here in Canada. It looks like 90-92 VWs with the 2.slow have a 90 Amp unit that "might" fit. Not a lot of them around and so far have not spotted one with a completely intact alternator for testing.

If you look at this alternator STC1753, http://www.roverconnection.com/Parts/Alter...ver_Classic.htm for 1987 to 1992 RR Classics, it looks like the same mount. Thoughts?

OK, well that does not work....

First there is no way to rotate the case with the one I got (Denso). Second you need to rotate 120 degrees and there are 4 bolts so even if you could only 90 degree increments are possible, which I suppose I should have noticed.

So I would suggest not trying this. The one Ralph has must be different.

Unfortunately an expensive lesson on my end as I'm stuck with the damn thing.

Thats strange as I have two 300Tdi alt's on my 200Tdi and the one bolted straight into the original position without modification. I'll check exactly what they are tomorrow.

Thats strange as I have two 300Tdi alt's on my 200Tdi and the one bolted straight into the original position without modification. I'll check exactly what they are tomorrow.

A Defender 200TDI? The alternators will work on a Discovery 200TDI engine. The difference is that the adjuster is on opposite sides. If the body uses 3 bolts , then you could rotate it to move the adjuster to the other side. With 4 bolts it does not work.