LT85 / LT230 Hi Low Change problem - any ideas ?

Hi All,

My LT85 in the 90 seems to be being a PITA a bit :(

Basically I can enagage Hi and Low with and without Diff lock

BUT

From Low Diff Locked trying to then get it back into Hi and Open can be a nightmare, whatever I do it can take several goes before it stays in, it seems to "pop out" and then I have to pop it back in again, it feels maybe like its not fully engaging so I am planning to inspect the linkages and rods etc, but wondered if anyone else has experience of this and what it may be.

Once it is "In" alls fine until the next time I have to get it back in :(

All others are fine, just HI and Open :blink:

Thoughts ?

Nige

FWIW mine was doing something similar at Slab (diff to get in Low and then jumping out) while last weekend at Bunny Lane I could not engage Low at all.

Taking a look this weekend linkage is fine but the hi/low selector on the top of the LT230 was VERY stiff. Have been applying penetrating oil and 3in1 and doing my best to free it up without removing it from the box. So far so good.

Mine's exactly the same, then when it does go from hi to low or visa versa it then jumps out just as your moving off, so then you try to ram it back in with an amateurish sounding almighty grinding of gears, which does attract some "whats he doin now?" looks.

I think it's abuse of linkages and mucho oil required in the hard to reach parts.

Tally Ho

High/low grub screw come loose? This is what mine did and meant it was barely engaging high range even though the lever was all the way back.

If it's popping out, try putting a bit more tension on the high/low ball spring detent thing.

Also, try temporarily removing the rubber boot thing, mine was dragging the shifter back to neutral as it was getting stretched too far (but i do have a botched trans tunnel)