Rockwell vs Simca Portal Axles

6cyltdi

• 2 weeks later...
What are you using for the acuators on the lockers? air or mechanical (cable)? <_<

Also are you keeping it on the original brakes (hydropneaumatic?) or were you thinking of converting it onto discs? :unsure:

I haven't decided if I'm using air or cable yet, I think the easiest way would be to use air however a cable/link set up may be more robust although it takes alot to move the actuator by hand... I'm not quite at that stage yet so will deal with it when I get there.....

I am keeping the original brakes and making wheel adaptors to fit land rover stud patern.... I'll get some extra bits to play around with to work out a solution for discs...

I'm concentrating on the wheel adaptors, machining prop flanges, machining the centre of the diff so it can be flipped over and getting the axles under the car then anti-wrap bars.....

Then working out my hydraulics and steering set up.... Cash is a bit tight at the moment as is time so just doing little bits and pieces as I can whilst accumulating anything else I need....

just an idea if you're brakes end up a little erm... limp wristed :unsure: scout about for a powervan(?) hydroboost setup, its pretty compact and can be setup to work with full hydro or conventional steering, its a cheap way to overcome the shortfall in brake circuit pressure you may encounter :)

they come up on US eblag pretty regularly for not-a-lotta pennies :)

I'm putting them on an 88" so using leafs... Rear end might go coil sprung after it's going though...

Have a look at Tonks 4x4 I believe he is trying to make up a bolt on axle kit...?

thanks for that, do front and rear axles come with diff lock or do you have to modify them?

Yes I'm fitting two lockers... It's reasonably straight forward.... Pull a locking diff to bits and pull a non locking diff to bits then bolt the ring gear from the locker on to the non locking part.... Machine the lip on the locking diff off and machine into a resese so the two halves the ring gears were bolted to fit together... bolt everything back together then stick the diff in upside down.... Then you have two lockers.... Front one is fine as is....

Prop shafts: I've used land rover shafts as they are the same splines as the simca diffs so ground the end off of a prop so your left with the bit that slots in the the tube... Then cut the splined part of the shaft to length and machined the centre out so the end of the prop fits in and welded it up.... Then a normal land rover shaft goes on no problem after you've made it up to the desired length....

I've opted for running land rover rims (most wouldn't bother) so I had a decent selection of rims easly available and can fit baby wheels for trailering it...

Yes I'm fitting two lockers... It's reasonably straight forward.... Pull a locking diff to bits and pull a non locking diff to bits then bolt the ring gear from the locker on to the non locking part.... Machine the lip on the locking diff off and machine into a resese so the two halves the ring gears were bolted to fit together... bolt everything back together then stick the diff in upside down.... Then you have two lockers.... Front one is fine as is....

Prop shafts: I've used land rover shafts as they are the same splines as the simca diffs so ground the end off of a prop so your left with the bit that slots in the the tube... Then cut the splined part of the shaft to length and machined the centre out so the end of the prop fits in and welded it up.... Then a normal land rover shaft goes on no problem after you've made it up to the desired length....

I've opted for running land rover rims (most wouldn't bother) so I had a decent selection of rims easly available and can fit baby wheels for trailering it...

Thanks for all that is's a great help, i read that you got yours from RR did you have the last 3 or do they keep them in stock? would you have a contact number or web address for them please?

Thanks for all that is's a great help, i read that you got yours from RR did you have the last 3 or do they keep them in stock? would you have a contact number or web address for them please?

Details for RR services clicky ere

Thought that they kept them in stock? let us know if you find out! Cheers :rolleyes:

They should have some in stock just now as far as I know.... They just took some back from France a few weeks ago.... They don't always have stock Max waiting time would be a month I'd expect.... They're quite rough with them... Just butcher them to get em off....

They should have some in stock just now as far as I know.... They just took some back from France a few weeks ago.... They don't always have stock Max waiting time would be a month I'd expect.... They're quite rough with them... Just butcher them to get em off....

how long have you had yours? i see on the postings you were fitting them in july have you had chance to use them yet? if so what was the gearing like?

• 3 weeks later...
Haven't really have that much time to be getting on with them with doing other bits and pieces to the buggy having a number of other vehicles to up keep and working on friends cars/ land rovers.. (Its that never enough hours in the day thing)

so what happened to the 2 axles that went missing in transit that you collect from the place where they were misdielivered to? as you show pictures of them since june?

so what happened to the 2 axles that went missing in transit that you collect from the place where they were misdielivered to? as you show pictures of them since june?

i take it by you not commenting your be paying for the 2 extra axles you had?

Update?

How have you got on?

I am using mine as an every day motor for a while now....

I need to do some mods with the steering its worse than driving a series.

I have removed the air supension and re-fitted coil springs, but this means I can't alter the castor of the front axle now by raising and lowering the suspension for road use.

Update?

How have you got on?

I am using mine as an every day motor for a while now....

I need to do some mods with the steering its worse than driving a series.

I have removed the air supension and re-fitted coil springs, but this means I can't alter the castor of the front axle now by raising and lowering the suspension for road use.

Hi Tonks

spoke to R R services who still have axles but will only sell me the axles if i collect them due to the pair pair they sold in July being stolen whilst in trasit and they still haven't been paid for them (the police are now investergating on the insurance companies behalf) so just need to try and get down there over christmas

thanks for the tip on castor angles though

• 1 year later...