Boge question

Strega

Hi guys, have just finished fitting the HD rears to the front and it looks great and has a good 2" lift. Thanks all for the advice.

Have just started ripping the back end apart and have managed to just release the rear springs but am wondering how the hell you get the new ones in with 2" spacers. There seems to be no extra travel in the boge strut and am now a little stuffed.

I dont want to have to remove it unless I have to as am sure it will help. What have you guys done??

To get the longer springs in.... jack up under the chassis, and pop em in -no need for compressors or anything -you need to jack BOTH sides at once, and then allow it to droop right down, the limiting factor will be the brake lines on the diff most likely.... If there is still not enough droop get the bottle jack out and wedge it between the axle and the chassis, then pump! You should be able to EASILY get the clearance to pop them in.

The rears should be a lot easier than the fronts tbh -what spacers did you go with in the end?

*edit* I'd assumed you had released the shock :o

Yes shocks were off!!

Have released everything so only boge strut holding it up now. Might have to stick a scissor jack between the chassis and the axle as there is no way it's gonna fit in there with out compressers.

Bowie69, I have still may need extra spacers as am not sure it will sit level. Will know when the back is done and I can sit it squarly on the deck.

I'd till be suprised the strut is stopping the axle droop enough, like I said, when I did my rears recently I found I was jacking against the brake lines :o Definately not recommended, and not intentional! Good job I realised in time.

If it is the Boge unit... then not really sure... I suppose they could seize, like anything on a LR, if so go careful, as it could un-sieze suddenly and drop the axle on your foot :ph34r:

With the axle at full droop on both sides, jacking up one side makes the other go down giving you room to get the springs in. As said above, getting rear springs in is easy - I have 19" free length ones and they go in no problem.

With the axle at full droop on both sides, jacking up one side makes the other go down giving you room to get the springs in. As said above, getting rear springs in is easy - I have 19" free length ones and they go in no problem.

Yep - Bish is spot on there.

You can lose the self leveller though - you won't need it with the new springs and it most likely isn't working anyway.

Matt

Will check the strut tomorrow as it sounds like it is not coming down enough.

I have lifted mine 3 inches and lost the strut as it had given up anyway, hasn't made any difference and in fact i think it makes it better axle articulation without. Couple that with rear cranked arms and extended brake line you'll get a load of travel on each corner. Recommend loose the strut and save a whole lot of headache.

simon

I have heard some owners complain of snaking while towing and blaming the self leveling unit, I dont know about this but fitted higher and slightly stiffer springs several years ago and have never had a problem, does anyone know the MOT regulations relating to this, I had to persuad my tester that it really made no difference and that other land rovers had the same axles but no self leveling unit.

Bish is on the button as usual but I had to use spring compresors for that last little bit, I now use 2" lift blocks with standard springs, no problem at the back but the front caused a little trouble.

Finally got round to fitting the rears in yesterday, the left side needed to be fully articulated to fit in, the left needed max articulation and spring compressors!! That is gonna be a firm ride for sure!!!

Thanks for all your help, will probably need some more soon!!