ZF4HP22 gearbox oil cooler

Ben Jordan

Does the oil ever get hot enough with those monster fans ??

the fans are operated by a switch, i only use them when the oil gets really hot i.e. a long steep climb in low range etc. the engine oil cooler has a thermostat in the oil pump base, so the oil only goes through it when it has reached 90 degrees. once hot, the engine oil temperature sticks to 80 - 90 whatever i do (measured in the sump) so thats pretty perfect i would think.

i'm off to the sahara day after tomorrow, will see how the coolers make a difference in deep sand, thats when everything used to get way to hot.

regards

I have read about some Rangies in the Desert somewhere and one if their problems was the oil in the gearbox over heating partly because of the torque converter not locking up due to the slow speeds. I think you have got that problem covered.

Laminova coolers aren't cheap but they are very good (if installed properly) and very simple. There's just less to bloack up and go wrong. The only thing to watch is you need to make sure the radiator is up to the job or you can cook both the engine and the gearbox in one go :(

• 6 years later...

Some people take the the gearbox oil pan off and drill and weld a boss in to take a temp sensor (but that only measures the base temp before it has to do the work, so it will be lower than the max oil temperature)

My thoughts on this, I would think that most of the heat is generated when the torque converter is not locked up.

when the clutch in the torque converter is locked then the fluid is doing less work so less heat in generated.

Thus it is more important to measure the temp before it enters the cooler when the torque convert is not locked

And from memory the output when torque convert is not locked is from the side of the gearbox (there are two different sizes of the union)

I also believe that some models have a gearbox temp sensor already fitted in this pipe work (to turn on the auto gear warning light)