4hp22 oil level

Hendrik

Can anyone tell me how much oil (ATF) needs to go in a 4hp22 autobox?

And what's the best way to measure the oil level? cold or hot oil? put the shifter in all positions and then back in to N and measure?

thx

H.

Can anyone tell me how much oil (ATF) needs to go in a 4hp22 autobox?

And what's the best way to measure the oil level? cold or hot oil? put the shifter in all positions and then back in to N and measure?

thx

H.

Probably my nas has the same box. To check oil level is best when NOT steaming hot but does not have to be from cold start. Start engine in park, foot on footbrake and take selector through RND321 and back up again to Park just momentarily pausing at each change. Do this 2 or 3 times and leave selector in NEUTRAL with handbrake ON and engine RUNNING. Pull trans dipstick clean put back and then take reading. If it needs fluid I always shut down the engine before attempting to fill and then go through the gears as above to circulate the fluid, then take another reading in Neutral engine running.

Hope that helps

Dave

Thx.

Any idea how much oil needs to be in there?

H.

If you mean what is the capacity of the gearbox and torque converter that is about 8 litres? should be in your handbook. When you change oil the torque converter does not empty so about 6 litres when you change oil. I change oil every 12,000 miles or if a lot of towing / offroad every 6000 miles. 6 litres ATF a lot cheaper than a gearbox change and it's the crud from old ATF getting in the galleries and clutch bands that normally necessitates a gearbox change

And if you have a Disco II there is no dipstick. The cost accountants were at it again. I have found that the amount of oil you can get into a Disco autobox varies quite a lot, don't know why exactly. Remember to change the filter, sump gasket and o-ring when you change the oil. And if you can afford it a synthetic Dexron III oil like Shell Donax TX will increase the life of the box especially in a hot climate or if you do heavy towing like horseboxes. And if you are feeling really rich, use Redline ATF which should never need to be changed and has extreme temperature resistance.

Remember to change the filter, sump gasket and o-ring when you change the oil.

So you recommend to do this everytime you change the oil?

Anyone partnumbers for the filter, sump gasket and O-ring for the ZF 4hp22

thx

H.

According to RAVE it is 9.1 litres, however as said above you won't drain it all out unless you disassemble the box (well nearly!).

RAVE also states that the level should be checked on level ground, in neutral, at normal operating temperature -contradicts Haynes and the user manual but hey :)