Aircon compressors for OBA

white90

They are becoming very common in the Land of the Free. Over there most people use York compressors as they were fitted to Volvo's.

I have seen one guy in the UK use a compressor off a Peugeot 405.

Check out this site http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/ for FAQs etc

Main issue is the lubrication. Normally the aircon gas lubricates the pump so you need to add oil. Best solution is to "catch" the oil and recirculate.

If you live anywhere near Ivor Daniels then I would go and visit him. Mike Cuff's Jeep seems to have taken up residence and that has a full OBA fitted by Mike including air tank alternatively drop Mike an e-mail or Phil Walker or Sam Fletcher. They have all fitted them. Sam Fletcher sourced most his fittings etc in the UK.

I used a York from the junkyard. At least around here they are plentiful in many vehicles. $20 or so and it is in perfect condition. You don't need anything special. For the first year, I just hooked a hose directly up to it. I've since added a tank and a pressure switch, but they are not needed for filling tires.

If you don't have room for a York, then any old AC compressor will do. Just add an oiler on the inlet or squirt some oil in before use.

York.JPG

Edited by Red90

John

that looks like the setup I want simple no tank just for airing up tyres/air tools

the oiling side of thimgs?

Do you add oil before every use? do you need a seperator?

Tony,

Mine is a Air Con one !

off a Discovery :)

Its best to take the oil out before you use in it your tyres as it "don't" do them any good, to use air tools you will need a reservoir, but just for tyres you can use it straight off the compressor

I'll give you a ring tommorow and we can discuss it amongst other things !

Edited by Les Brock

Guest diesel_jim

I've got one of those square york's in the garage waiting for me to glue it to my 300. excellent bit of kit.... 180psi @ 10cfm... thats more than my mains compressors got!!!

A nice simple option if you just want air for inflating tyres:

The output line on most LR compressors has a bore just the right size to be tapped as 1/4" BSP - the same size as most air fittings.

If you were to buy a compressor, a 1/4BSP tap and a female PCL connector and put a switch on a remote lead to engage/disengage the mag clutch it's about all you need. The remote lead means you just manually switch on the compressor when you are using air. No need for a pressure switch then.

As Les says, empty the oil out and fill the interior with high temperature grease. Barely any ends up in the air - not enough to worry about anyway.

Mine, running without a reservoir will run my rattle gun quite happily with the engine doing about 2200rpm

Dead easy.

Si

As I understand it, the reasons for the popularity of York compressors for OBA include:

• the piston arrangement — it's different to most compressors, puts less oil into the circuit [mount it vertically]
  • the ability to block the one oilway that spews oil into the circuit at all — although it's a bit technical, it involves tapping the little hole then putting a suitable screw in it. A web search should produce instructions.

The main down-side of the York compressors is the sheer size of them! Particularly in a defender, it's hard to find anywhere to put the thing.

The performance is no different to a regular can type swash-plate compressor. If you fill the latter with grease, the amount of grease / oul in the air out is tiny.

I'm using one of these to run air-suspension and it is running all the time on or off the road. Filled with grease, I have had one unit fail - although it was due to the inlet non return valve leaking which is more likely due to ingress of dirt. That was after almost two years operation.

If you were just using it for tyre inflation & air tools - so long as the compressor is not pre-broken, it should out last the rest of the vehicle!

Si

Tony,

Mine is a Air Con one !

So is mone, from a mid-80s Mitsubishi.

Main issue is the lubrication. Normally the aircon gas lubricates the pump so you need to add oil.

That's note quite correct. The refrigerant is not a lubricant. In A/C systems the lubricant is an oil that is added into the closed system and circulates around with the refrigerant. When you open the system, the oil is eventually lost through the outlet, and must be replaced in some other way.

The output line on most LR compressors has a bore just the right size to be tapped as 1/4" BSP - the same size as most air fittings.

Exactly what I did. Take the head off, cut off the old flare threads and tap it out to bsp.