Ebay....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrgh

Hi,

Just wanted some advice. I advertised my 110 on Eblag before Christmas on one of its 5p listing days. The thing ultimately sold but Ebay are trying to sting me for around 100GBP. We have been exchanging emails for about 6 months but they do not acknowldge anything that I have said and there is no apparent way of getting through to them by phone. I am at my wits end with frustration - each email they send comes from a different person and follows the same standard format and there seerms to be no communication between their staff. Have any of you had similar problems with these fools and how did you resolve them.

Thanks,

Ged

you have to watch eBlag, they will do that to you.....5p listings are exactly that, you list your item for 5p, but they will still sting you for final value fee's etc.....

Exactly - you should have an itemised invoice of the various charges.

As you have found their customer service contact procedures are time consuming and their responses invariably just a copy and paste standard response. The listing fee is just that - their fee for the listing but they will still expect their percentage cut of the final realised price the item sold for.

Thanks to all. My biggest gripe is that you simply cannot communicate with them. It just a torrent of standard replies and no attempt to actually read and address the main issue - their mistake. I suppose its symptomatic of these massive corporations where the customer actually comes last. Rant over!

So are they actually trying to charge you more than they should or do you just not want to pay?

£100 sounds a lot but it depends on the figures involved.

Are you disputing the amount? Or do you just not want to pay?

How did they manage to get to £100.

The listing fee is normally £8 but you got it for 5p.

The maximum Final Value Fee is capped at £35.00

You would have to pick some of the expensive options like Gallery Featured or Home Page Featured to get it up to that much.

@FridgeFreezer - I don't think it sucks I think it's quite cheap, £8 to list then you only pay some more when it sells, compared to Autotrader costing £30 or so straight off and it might not sell. I've had much more success with Ebay than with Autotrader

IMHO, have a word with trading standards. How are you paying/have you paid for this £100? If you haven't paid yet then don't as long as you are sure that they are overcharging you and it wasn't just a mistake on your part not reading the small print. Even if its the latter then it may still be worth a call to trading standards as they may well have not been acting fairly.

I commiserate with you - I've just had to deal with a total**** on ebay. Its the first bad experience I've had on there.....

the cheap listings dont normally cover car sales as far as I know, but they dont make it obvious - if you dig deep enough there is a bunch of small print explaining what is and isnt covered. I've fallen foul of this myself.

They are misleading and contemptible, and frankly you have the moral high ground for not paying the buggers - you won't get any sense out of them as there's no-one there answering emails or on the end of the phone, you'll just get shagged over by a machine. personally I wouldn't pay and risk being suspended, like the Lithuanian shoe salesmen who robbed my user ID and rang up a 200 quid bill and waltzed off into the sunset with a couple of grand worth of punters money and got away scott free, but you takes your own choice :angry:

I'm not sure if this link will work or if it only works if you are signed in but this is the "Live help" I have used it twice before and I actualyl managed to get issues resolved on the spot.

It is the next best thing to calling customer service as you get a live chat directly with somone who has access to your account on the Ebay end and can make things happen. If the link doesnt work, google "ebay live help" and you will find it.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/basics/n-livehe...ndSort&ht=1

Once it opens click on "Get Help" Make sure your browser isnt blocking popups, then read what is said in the pop up window, and click on send.. Then shortly you will have an EBay rep of your own to abuse :)

Hello all,

I used to buy most of my stuff via Inet, but that was when I was living in UK, now in BG I am not to use Inet for buy/sell anything, I AM JUST SCARED...

I am IT right now and just know how easy is to get scamed, and worst is that no Banks or EU/local law or whatsoever will be here to protect me in any way...

I am just scared to use ebay as well, its just too much scam to trust anyone, and last but not least I can not trust the system behind the ebay, they proved to be money not service oriented...

Some time ago I found this http://www.paypalsucks.com/ it is worth to visit...

Now would be even harder somebody to convince me using ebay and pay pall... they both can sting you with no chance to protect your self...

My two pence...

Guest otchie1

Ebay, like PayPal have only one concern and that is the amount of cash flowing in to their empire. Along with Google they are the Internet triumvirate of evil. Doesn't mean that they aren't useful or that I don't use them just that they couldn't give a rat's about anyone or anything else.

You might find Googling "Ebay is evil" a useful eye opener.

Follow that up with "Google is evil" and you'll dump your gmail account and start using Ask and anonymisers :ph34r:

As has been said before, the 5p listing rarely covers motors and they never waive the final value fee. Best bet is to pay and be thankful that they don't decide to register it internationally as a bad debt.

from what ebay are saying here you should have been charged £43 without putting any extras so if you put all the extras you may of had to pay up to £80may be

eBay Motors Fees

View Fees for: eBay.co.uk | eBay Motors | Classified Ad | eBay Shops | PayPal

Basic Fees

You pay only an Insertion Fee to list a vehicle on eBay Motors. If the item sells, you are also charged a Final Value Fee. There is no additional fee charged after the listing has ended. eBay Motors vehicle listings are those within the Cars, Commercial Vehicles, Motorcycles & Scooters, Caravans and Classic Cars categories.

Insertion Fee

Format

Single Item Listing

Multiple Item Listing

Auction Style

£8.00

£8.00

Buy It Now Only

£8.00

£8.00multiplied by the number of Vehicles listed.

Classified Ad

£12.99

N/A

Final Value Fee

Final Selling Price

Final Value Fee

£0.01 - £1,999.99

£20.00

£2,000.00 - £3,499.99

1.00%

£3,500.00 and above

£35.00

Classified Ad

No Final Value Fee applies

Note: Parts and Accessories Insertion Fees are the same as eBay.co.uk Insertion Fees.

Optional Feature Fees

You can choose to add optional features to increase the chance of selling your item.

Reserve Price Fee

The reserve price fee for listings in the Cars, Commercial Vehicles, Motorcycles and Caravans categories is £4.00 regardless of the reserve price level set. This fee is non-refundable, regardless of whether the item sells.

Note: Parts and Accessories Reserve Fees are the same as eBay.co.uk Reserve Fees.

Listing Upgrade Fees Show

eBay Picture Hosting Fees Show

Also learn more about

eBay.co.uk Fees

eBay Shops Fees

PayPal Fees

Paying your eBay seller's fees

Invoicing procedures and payments

A Note About eBay Fees

In the event your seller account is suspended for any reason, any amounts due on your Seller account will immediately become due and payable. eBay reserves the right to immediately charge any amounts you have not previously disputed to the billing method that you are using.

Fees pay for the right to sell on eBay. Sellers do not purchase exclusive rights to Web pages on eBay. We may, in our sole discretion, and without your consent or payment to you, place third-party advertisements on any Web page within our site.

Insertion fees and optional feature fees are charged at the time of listing and are non-refundable.

eBay requires payment in full each month on accounts with balances of £1.00 or greater. eBay may suspend your account for non-payment of eBay fees. If you have not paid your outstanding eBay fees after our reminders and warnings, eBay reserves the right to refer your account to an outside collection agency for collection of the outstanding eBay fees. Please note that the collection agency will also charge you a proportionate and reasonable fee for the collection of the unpaid eBay fees, which will vary according to the amount owed and which will be payable in addition to the outstanding eBay fees.

Contact Customer Support

If you're looking for more help or have a question to ask, contact us.

About eBay | Announcements | Safety Centre | Partner Centre | VeRO Protecting IP | Policies | Feedback Forum | Site Map | Help

Copyright © 1995-2008 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy.

eBay official time

• 2 weeks later...

if you try to "cheat" and list a car in parts and spares, your final value fee is a percentage of the sale price. If you list as a car, the final value fee is capped, as was previously said. It may seem cheaper when listing but as you have found at your cost, it works out very spendy when your bill comes in one month later. Another benefit of listing as a car opposed to spares is that the buyer gets up to one week free insurance to be able to collect the car after winning.

(please don't quote me on this, check for yourself first!!)

Probably not much help to Mr Anglo Frenchman now, but food for thought for anyone else thinking of selling on the bay of EE's