Dual Battery Setup

Hi,

I am now planning a dual battery setup and expect to use an IBS DB3 with a Yellowtop Optima in addition to the OEM starter battery.

I would also like to squeeze in a compressor in the battery box as shown in one of the recent Landy mags.

I reckon everything will fit if I swivel the batteries round and jettison the bottle jack.

My questions are:

Has anyone fitted a new battery tray and if so who supplied it and what was your experience (quality, price and any problems with fitting)?

My battery box has anumber of holes (drilled as standard) in the floor. I presume these are to allow the batteries to breathe but they will obviously let water and other crud in once I start using the vehicle in anger. Has anyone plugged these holes up to make the box watertight? Since the OEM battery and Optimas are sealed units presumably they don't emit gas so don't need the vents?

Any other ideas what these holes are for?

Cheers,

Steve

Steve.

AFAIK the standard Defender battery box will take the Optima with the original battery.

On mine I had the OE battery. Well size anyway. an Elecsol 105/110 battery and the jump leads in there.

Not much, in fact not any room to check the Elecsol battey fluid levels :P It was the height that caught me out.

I've just bought some alli sheet and in a couple of weeks will be making a new battery box for my Defender. It will be wider and deeper.

The only problem I have now is to finf a supplier of the rubber grommets I want to use.

mike

A leopard can change its spots.

I think you'll struggle to fit two batteries and a Viair compressor in the battery box. I fiited my Viair behind the seats/centre cubby box.

If you are worried about venting, simply seal up holes in base and put in a simple bulkhead push fit connector along with a length of 6mm air line and run it as a breather up into the engine bay.

Cheers

Steve

I can get those ones easily enough.

The ones I'm after are the ones fitted by Land Rover to the starter and loom cables from ythe battery box and the cables from the right under seat box to the fuse box on the 2000 on models.

I was getting them from the scrappy. They're fitted to the rear light loom on the Metro.

mike

A leopard can change its spots.

Having just done a 2 battery set up I bought a battery tray from Frogs Island 4x4 which ive had to modify to fit as my battery box had a box towards the back which wast the best of starts but at 25 quid im not complaining battery tray here

I would strongly recomend you DONT buy an Optima I bought a Red Top last month and its frankly useless, As my AUX battery ive installed a Numax Deep cycle battery available from X-eng...http://www.x-eng.co.uk/x-Batteries.asp Very happy with that. I will get you some pictures this afternoon.

Ive been told batteries need to breath so pluging it up proberly isnt a good idea unless you make a breather for it Ive just drilled extra holes in mine so the water can escape and as long as the batteries are sealed units......most good ones are you shouldnt get any problems.

Dave.

Thanks for the tip on Optimas. I look forward to the photos.

I've tried to buy from the Frogs Island site but their registration process doesn't seem to work.

I'll head to Eastnor and see what I can pick up there.

Cheers,

Steve

I've tried to buy from the Frogs Island site but their registration process doesn't seem to work.

I found the same thing, phoned them in the end.

Heres the part I had to cut to get it too fit

battray.jpg

I also had to drill a new hole to bolt the tray down it the corner nearest the gearbox as the hole supplied was right up against the chassis and i couldnt get a nut on the end of the bolt. but basically its just 4 bolts holding the tray down, the tray includes a battery clamp big enough for the two batteries.

As you can see its a tight fit

tightfit.jpg

Just got to connect up my X-charge now.

Hope this helps a little

Dave.

Guest otchie1

Whatever any favoured retailer may or may not stock, don't let anyone tell you that a lead-acid/lead-calcium battery will out perform a spiral wound type (optima or Exide or others) for an initial CCA burst. There is also the whole plate thickness thing not to mention leak-proofing and vibration resistance. The topic is huge but see Bill Darden for a full run down (try going straight to the "what do i look for in buying a new battery" section 7 of the FAQ.

I would suggest Auto Battery Service in Recreation Road but I've not been that way in ages and I heard they were gone :huh:

I can recommend alpha battery man if you're after mail order or are in Rochdale - thoroughly good bloke.

I ended up with a spiral wound AGM type because it's smaller than a normal design (for the CCA/RC); it is far more robust, they don't gas and, most importantly, if happened to be cheap :P

Well Iam new to this forum, found this forum through AULRO forum.Anyway It took me a full day of cursing and swearing to fit me AUX battery into my defender along with a Projecta 150amp Isolator.

I didnt use a battery tray as both batteries are snug against each other and dont move and i put a piece if 6mm rubber between them so they dont rub againts each other.The AUX battery is a AGM 12v 120ha Deep cycle battery and its huge and heavy.The salesman told me I would never get it to fit :P ...The other battery is just a normal century cranking battery.

landroverdualuhf001.jpglandroverdualuhf003.jpg

Anyway hope this helps Cheers Azza