What are the advantages to gas shocks?

I've got a knackered rear shocker, so its time to chuck some new ones on the back. I can get a straight replacement for £10 - £12 or so, but is there any merit of replacing with the likes of procomp/bilstein/decarbon etc?? Will I notice any difference?? I haven't got any lift kit so will be going for standard height (8" travel?).

Defender used like so many others 95% on road, 2% of the time off road (1x per month) and the rest of the time in the workshop!! :P

Most gas ones offer stronger damping than standard. The adverts also blither on about the gas pressure reducing oil foaming which leads to reduced shock fade in hard driving conditions blah blah blah but with few exceptions its a load of irrelevant advertese unless you are racing or something like that.

I put Monroe Adventurers on my 90 recently which were a good price from Bearmach, and the ride and damping is noticeably better I think - there was nothing wrong with the ones I took off except that the damping on the front was too soft, the Monroes are quite a lot stiffer. Now it doesn't bottom or top out unless I do something really stupid or was really not looking where I was going and hit something I should have seen 100 yards away...

The other main reason of course is to get a longer shocker for lifted suspension etc but this doesn't apply in your case.

For what you are using the vehicle for, I would be inclined to either stick with standard ones, or go for one of the lower cost gas options which will offer a bit of an improvement without breaking the bank. This is the second set of Monroes I have owned and I have been pleased with both of them.

Don't suppose you want some second hand Classic Rangie shocks to give me an excuse for renewing mine ?

erm........ let me see...................... No. (But thanks Dad!)

I like Bog Busters thoughts, Munroes are £50 a piece, standard replacements are £10, so a cheap gas compromise may be best!

Munroes are £50 a piece, standard replacements are £10, so a cheap gas compromise may be best!

Erm :blink:

without giving away "Bearmach's trade prices" I paid less than £100 for a full set of 4 Monroes and that was delivered to me (7,700 miles further from BM than you are!) and with a % for our company's handling charge on top....

They were actually cheaper than Genuine std ones would have been!

I don't know what BM retail them for in the UK but I'd guess about the same so you might get them for £25 or so a corner, a bargain IMHO

I like Bog Busters thoughts, Munroes are £50 a piece, standard replacements are £10, so a cheap gas compromise may be best!

Famous four (first one that came up on the google search) are selling Munroes for £56 a pair. I know it's on the Discovery page but I can't imagine it being much more (if any) for a Defender.

HTH

Ivan

Rather OT, but you will notice that the gas shocks need to be compressed to fit - they want to extend all the time. This is fine for shocks, but not a good idea for a steering damper where a gas damper can cause the steering to pull to one side, I forget which way.

ps I have Monroe gas shocks (made in Belgium) and am very happy with them. They seem to last a long time as well, can't remember when they were fitted (2001?) but they are still fine.

I haven't seen a gas steering damper, do they really do that? seems like a dumb bit of design to me! I sort of assumed they were pressurised on both sides or something, to even it out.

I guess if so it would pull to the left, if the damper was trying to extend.

My experience with gas dampers is, yes as noted above they do give a better ride but also they do a lot more miles for your money without deterioration. I did 100k on a set of DeCarbons on my old Disco before I sold it and they were still giving a good ride.

Interesting

I was thinking about a gas steering damper but I don't think I'll bother if that is one of the "side effects" - I've got enough steering grief to contend with already what with clonky steering column bearings and a clicky indicator trip :angry:

Interesting

I was thinking about a gas steering damper but I don't think I'll bother if that is one of the "side effects" - I've got enough steering grief to contend with already what with clonky steering column bearings and a clicky indicator trip :angry:

Bilstein, Koni and Delphi/de Carbon are mono tube gas pressurised steering dampers.

They only cause a problem if your swivel pre-load is too low, otherwise they are unnoticable.