shaking V8

tarpan

Hello all!

im the proud owner (restorer) of a 1979 classic Range Rover

after several problems with the stromberg carbs,i decide to use a weber convertion kit from BM ,very very nice,with an edelbrock inlet manifold included

i dont know how are (or where are) the emissions :blink: (we havent tested with a machine yet) ,but gasoline fumes are horrendus if you step in the back ,and black smoke (not blue) is notorious

the other thing is, i change the distribuitor for an electronic one (donated from a 1987 Rangie) ,the first two weeks the engine was running superbly ,but i left the rangie park for 3 months and now the engine is shaking ,to the point you feel the shake if you are sit inside the vehicle and if you are close to the rangie you can see how it moves

i have different diagnosis for the shaking V8

-camshaft is kaputt due a cold start (chain and wheel are new)

-the distribuitor is possessed by some demons or i dont know what

-coil and ignition module are having problems (all new too)

this range is my restoration project ,not my DD (i have a P38 for that) ,and we have other landys ........ so the classic rangie is the spoiled one :lol:

here is the picasa gallery of the restoration process http://picasaweb.google.com/ureotelico/Res...nRangeRover1979

any comments about the strange shaking are well recieve ,im saving some money for a complete overhaul (again) ,rings,pistons,camshaft bla bla ......or a brand new 3.9 from Turner (the last information i had is that they dont have any more 3.5 avaliables or something like that)

best regards to all from Chile

Cristian

im using Champion RN12YC spark plugs because of the electronic ignition ,im going to make the experiment this weekend (when the rain stops here) with N12YC

any better choice than Champion ??

regards!

Cristian

Plugs should be NGK BP®6ES plus must be Genuine dizzy cap and rotor.

(something seems to have gone funny with the R in the part number. Include the R in the part number for resistive plugs.)

Loads of threads on here for lumpy running V8's which will give you more info.

The carb you have fitted is well known for being horrible if not set up dead right.

Frankly I wouldn't use one - have had one and tried it, hopeless for off raod, and fuel surge going into corners on the road = misfire :(

But you have fitted one so if you insist then :

Black smoke = unburnt fuel

If you do not lean this off you will do all sorts of damage to the engine longer term. Unburnt fuel at this level means the bores will suffer "Bore Wipe" - the fuel is so rich it will literally wipe away the oil protecting the bores, also this rich will give a real issue to the plusg and cause a general choked type running, not a misfire more a drowning of the engine. You also should have a PRV set to around 7 PSI if my memory serves me - if the pressures of fuel are wrong then you'll have a nightmare on your hands

The dizzy may or may not be on top, I would suggest you lean off the carb HUGELY fit new BPR6ES plugs, check the state of the couil, king lead (coil to dizzy lead) and if the car rotor arm and leads are unknown make / condition repalce them all with genuine stuff.

Better still would be to EFI the V8, beter still again to Megasquirt it

HTH

Nige

At the risk of being cheeky and wasting space,

Are you really sure the firing order is correct, almost reads as if it's wrong,

On most v8s (as I understand) number 1 is on the furthest forward cylinder bank, worth checking at least.

At the risk of being cheeky and wasting space,

Are you really sure the firing order is correct, almost reads as if it's wrong,

On most v8s (as I understand) number 1 is on the furthest forward cylinder bank, worth checking at least.

Looking at picture No 108 from the link in the original post I would say that No1 from the dizzy is correct.

The shaking is just probably an excessively rich mixture................... the big clure is that it is belching black smoke.

To be Honest, those carbs are a PITA to get right, and even to keep them right is also a PITA..........

:)

Ian

Must admit I didnt look to close at the link but having done so the firing order looks ok, A friend of mine tried one of these carbs on his V8 series 3 conversion, I remember he had a poor time with it, he gave up in the end and fitted SU carbs.

Nice rebuild we see here.

firing order i think its ok,im going out right now for the spark plugs

the weber carb was the solution for the emissions problem,here in Chile we have something like the MOT ,so we have to certify the cars every year ,if the smog levels are high during winter ,you can use your carb vehicle (no catalyst) at least 3 days in one week ,my P38 has catalitic converters ,so i can use it every day and i have to change those things at least every 3 years!! ,and all the filters spark plugs etc etc (at least im happy with my mpg....is a very economic V8,compared with a chevy tahoe)

the other thing is that,here we have like 7 (in the whole country) ,2 door rangies (amazingly strange vehicles here) the only vehicles fitted with strobergs are some volvos and bmw´s ,but the cost of parts and rebuilt one these carbs is very high ,so a little bit more of money and i bought the weber

the weber here has more parts and also service (is based in a carter carb)

i really miss the strombergs,for me are fantastic carbs ,same mistic as a merlin carb

regards!

• 2 months later...

and the winner was........

coil to dizzy cable!!! taraaaa!!

now,from a shaking engine to a smooth V8 is an amazing change

i change the spark plugs for the NGK (just in case) and all the cables as well

thanks aaaaa lot for the help

Regards!