ZF Pump questions

Guest noggy AKA Mortus

Guest noggy

so what engine did the ZF come on?

would a ZF run full hydro?

would you be able to replace the ZF with a better pump?

ive got a 3.5 v8 if that helps :)

There are a few threads on this one- no one seems to be able to give a definite answer as to which exact vehicle model/year the ZF74 pump was ever fitted to... Likewise no one seems to be able to suggest a PAS pump with better flowrate figures (other than running two pumps!- long story...) Next step up would be a proper hydraulic pump.

I am pretty sure a couple of the guys on here run full hydro steering powered by a ZF74- the flow rate is quoted at 13 l/min at 120 bar (real figures appear more like 10-11 l/min at 120 bar)

The generic ZF pump is found on many mid 90's VW's & Beemers ................

IIRC the 'ZF74' does not exist as an item but was given that part number by the UK importer .............................

Most of the generic pumps are the same sort of flow .................. but I would suspect supplied at different PRV settings.................

Cardone in the US remanufacture these pumps .............. here is an example from a mid 90's Golf.......

http://67.129.153.73/CGv2Production/Pictur...5C027145157.jpg

:)

Ian

There are a few threads on this one- no one seems to be able to give a definite answer as to which exact vehicle model/year the ZF74 pump was ever fitted to... Likewise no one seems to be able to suggest a PAS pump with better flowrate figures (other than running two pumps!- long story...) Next step up would be a proper hydraulic pump.

I am pretty sure a couple of the guys on here run full hydro steering powered by a ZF74- the flow rate is quoted at 13 l/min at 120 bar (real figures appear more like 10-11 l/min at 120 bar)

Ring Alfred Murray the R-Type bloke he sold me the uprated ZF pump for my V8 {5.0l TVR but its the same front as a 3.9 i believe} that was a direct {almost} swap for the original .

I have full hydro & 44s & it works fine.

Peter

Guest noggy

So what like proper hydraulic pump would fit in place of a pump on a 3.5 v8?

milemarker, did you have a thread on your twin pumps set up?

So what like proper hydraulic pump would fit in place of a pump on a 3.5 v8?

None, due to the RPM limitations and cavitation...................... but you could fit an additional hydro pump on a dog clutch ............... MM type 'R' pumps are chain driven from the crank pulley.

Mine is driven via the PTO output from the transfer box............

:)

Ian