Freelander Shell onto Discovery Chassis?

Mark

I quite like the Ka too, I toyed with a soft top version before I saw that one (and a new shape mini)

Incidentally did you know they both have around a 100 in wheelbase?

Given some thought, i think that the body swapping of 'normal' monocoques onto RRc and Disco's has some mileage, just as long as its done with some thought, there some abortions out there, which are a disaster, but then thats possible with most things people build.

With regards the freelander onto the RRc, i think its a good idea. ;)

Personally, i would approach it as a bodyswap, and go for a result that looks right, seems to be a relatively unexplored idea, some you might be blazing the trail to a certain extent.

Mark, I've toyed with this idea for a while in the pre-vapour build section of my sleepless nights. A good low cost option as an alternative to a 100 LR hybrid.

I thought one of the easiest ways to get the body on the chassis nicely was to removed the entire bulkhead/floorpan/inner arch assemblies and start from scratch. You may have more info being able to look under the Freelander and see the structure, but by replacing all with new you can get rid of all the suspension mountings and wheel arch clearance issues at once. The discovery floor is pretty well two flat sheets on different levels anyway and you could re-use the transmission tunnel too.

As for a donnor car it may better to buy a complete car with engine trouble and break it to cover the costs than buy a bare shell and try and source the trim.

Still on the lookout for a donor freelander though...

I may know of some shells

If you still looking

collection fro Poole area

I've always wanted to bobtail a 4dr freelander and fit a tray back mounted on a bigger chassi like a 108 Lse chassie or a 110 giveing a crewcad D-lander trayback type thing

Still looking jules, really after a complete as possible shell, but would be interested whatever you have - collection from poole shouldn't be a big problem...

Cheers

Mark

Mark, I've toyed with this idea for a while in the pre-vapour build section of my sleepless nights. A good low cost option as an alternative to a 100 LR hybrid.

I thought one of the easiest ways to get the body on the chassis nicely was to removed the entire bulkhead/floorpan/inner arch assemblies and start from scratch. You may have more info being able to look under the Freelander and see the structure, but by replacing all with new you can get rid of all the suspension mountings and wheel arch clearance issues at once. The discovery floor is pretty well two flat sheets on different levels anyway and you could re-use the transmission tunnel too.

The freelander floorpan has good boxy sills running down the outside, and two very similar box sections running parallel, further into the car. These inner box sections are far enough apart to let a discovery chassis sit up in between them (with about 15mm clearence either side), and so my thoughts were to take the transmission tunnel out between these rails, and add RR/disco style bodymounts to the freelander sills. The front and rear inner wings can then be removed completely, although I would like to keep the rear floor and utliise the freebie fueltank... This line of thinking cam from lying underneath the Mrs's freelander with a tapemeasure, and comparing the discovery I had parked next to it... very useful!

As for a donnor car it may better to buy a complete car with engine trouble and break it to cover the costs than buy a bare shell and try and source the trim.

These are very similar to my thoughts, but by buying one with a blown engine it should be cheaper than buying a good one...

Still looking jules, really after a complete as possible shell, but would be interested whatever you have - collection from poole shouldn't be a big problem...

Cheers

Mark

There not mine

I have two mates that have been brakeing freelanders for a little while and I know of one.

Julian

I have seen the ka on the fourtrak chassis, and it rather tickled me... I will have to have a look on difflock. ta.

I am not really convinced you need to recess the chassis into the shell - have you looked underneath a freelander shell Ross?

No i havent, just something that crept into my head, my aunty doesnt live close so i couldnt look under before posting. just read further down too, sounds like it should fit :)

Guys,

Thanks for all your inputs, I really appreciate it. Ill put all these in mind. Ill be starting the project soon. I recently bought a 1972 RR 2 door classic and will strip the body from the chassis and mount the existing non-working freelander (Bodyshell). Ill be documenting this for everyones sake. It would be great if you continue giving ideas as it progresses. Thank you very much.

Alex Uy

Philippines

Guys,

Thanks for all your inputs, I really appreciate it. Ill put all these in mind. Ill be starting the project soon. I recently bought a 1972 RR 2 door classic and will strip the body from the chassis and mount the existing non-working freelander (Bodyshell). Ill be documenting this for everyones sake. It would be great if you continue giving ideas as it progresses. Thank you very much.

Alex Uy

Philippines

is this the sort of thing you're after?

4 door freelander dropped onto a 3.9v8 rangie chassis and air suspension fitted all round.

i quite like it, not too sure about the stupid bit airfilter - but the rest is ok.

29042008518.jpg

Yep, that is precisely the sort of thing! Only I want a 3 door.... Got any more pictures? particularly of the build up... body mounts, bulkhead/tunnel arangement?

Cheers

Mark

4 door freelander dropped onto a 3.9v8 rangie chassis and air suspension fitted all round.

i quite like it, not too sure about the stupid bit airfilter - but the rest is ok.

29042008518.jpg

YES Thats it!!!!! Yahoo!!! Any more pix and hopefully details on the how to's? Thanks so much sir.

29042008518.jpg

Thats fantastic, the 4dr look grate I bet the departur angle is good.

I still think cut the ars off behind the back doors and put a tray back on the last 2ft :rolleyes: