Freelander Shell onto Discovery Chassis?

Mark

I rekon that looks great - if i didnt already own a D-Lander (:D :D :D) then i'd consider doing that - the major drawback of course is the additional weight and no cage compared to mine, swings and roundabout tho, at least your panels wouldnt shatter on contact with a tree!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Right, I am starting to make very slow progress with this project....

Have sourced a Freelander shell, and am starting to strip the discovery body off the car.

Before I get into it properly, I need to put the rest of the walls on my workshop, and rebuild my trailer, so progress won't be lightening fast...

I will probably start another thread when I actually have something to show for it...

Any more input from people gladly accepted.

Cheers

Mark

• 1 month later...

As far as I can work out from discussions with Mark, the suspension is all taken care of by the use of the Discovery chassis. It is literally a case of mounting the Freelander body onto the chassis. This can be done relatively easily (apparently) using the main chassis runners and some careful fabrication of body/shell mounts.

I'm just waiting for him to stop talking the talk.......... :P:D

As far as I can work out from discussions with Mark, the suspension is all taken care of by the use of the Discovery chassis. It is literally a case of mounting the Freelander body onto the chassis. This can be done relatively easily (apparently) using the main chassis runners and some careful fabrication of body/shell mounts.

I'm just waiting for him to stop talking the talk.......... :P:D

Thnaks for the reply!

Was there significant panel work? Ie around the trans tunnel? Front end? It does all look pretty stock as far as the freelander is concerned...

Cheers!

As yet, nobody that I have found knows - we don't have any information about the one pictured.

Currently I have a rolling freelander shell, and a rusty discovery ready to turn into one vehicle, but I haven't done it yet.

I strongly suspect that both the front and rear inner wings will need some signitficant surgery, and that the transmission tunnel will need to be enlarged. I am not sure where the radiator is going to fit, particlualry if I want to get a highline winch in there as well... but these are all problems I will figure out the solutions too once I get the freelander shell on the lift and the disco chassis sat underneath it...

I will take some pictures when I do, but for the minute I need to get some walls and doors on my workshop so I can make a start (I have electricity in there now, since my last post, which is a big step forward!)...

Are you planning a similar conversion yourself?

[Oi, Mr Orange Chequebook offroader... at least I am attempting to build something ... :P]

[Oi, Mr Orange Chequebook offroader... at least I am attempting to build something ... :P]

You've seen my attempts at building stuff.............I thought you would be pleased!!! And please stop suggesting that my chequebook is orange.....It wouldn't want to be tarred with that brush!!

Im definately considering it, something like the gold one pictured. I need to know how much savagery is required as it will be a dd. Registration is in QLD, Australia , and there are engineering guidelines that make things difficult, and some that may stop the project dead. Basically Im trying to note all the major changes/conversions to ensure my engineer won't tell me its unregisterable after im done.

Cheers!

just a thought but could you graft part of the bhd and the centre tunnel section of the disco shell (not normally rusty) into the middle of the freelander shell as this would give you all the correct clearance you need. it would need some thought on the dash etc though

mike

It's a good thought mike, and am certainly considering grafting the tunnel from the disco into the fl shell. Not sure too much of the bulkhead would be required... The advantage of constructing a tunnel though is that you can build a frame and panel it in with removable panels so that getting to the bell housing bolts is infinitely easier than on a discovery...

alternatly, it could be some find of sexy glassfibre construction.... ;)

Cheers

Mark

The advantage of constructing a tunnel though is that you can build a frame and panel it in with removable panels so that getting to the bell housing bolts is infinitely easier than on a discovery...

Thats what smo has done in his DLander. Altho' I think his panel is a one piece upside down U shaped piece that just lifts off the framework.

Thats what smo has done in his DLander. Altho' I think his panel is a one piece upside down U shaped piece that just lifts off the framework.

Correct, my panels are removable but my tunnel is now a 1 piece removable section, (with access hatches) - makes life easier if you can remove little bits to get at things.

• 4 months later...

Current major hurdles include the bulkhead and tunnel - the bulkhead will need to be chopped out, and recessed a good 6 inches or so to clear the back of the engine.

Mounts on the chassis will be the next issue, but that is easier to get around...

As I have said before, I am going somewhat slowly, but currently I have a freelander sitting above the disco chassis while I figure out what needs to be done to make them meet....

I will start a proper build thread at some point when I have something worth showing!

Cheers

Mark

• 2 months later...

I have had a Freelander on Disco chassis on the go for about 3 months. Has 3.9 auto engine and box and the next phase is to get engine and Freelander electrics wired up together.

Plan is to keep all Freelander electrics, dash and interior whilst making the vehicle Challenge event capable with external rollcage and twin winches.

Freelander shell has had minimal mods but currently has virtually no bulkhead below screen. Stll has enough room for the original Freelander dash once new bulkhead has been made.

Biggest problem now however is that work gets in the way of projects. Will give sitrep when car is driving. This is a Freelander complete shell ona chassis - no spaceframe cheating going on here!!!!!!!!!

Chris Bowler