V8 sucking air in through oil filler neck

Quagmire

Quick question-

And before anyone says anything i know this should be under military but hey the largest number of v8's has got to be the RaRo forum surely? Anyway...

Dads 101 runs really sweet.... until you take the oil filler cap off whilst its running, then it starts to run really rough. :1-picture6:

Further investigation showed that there is a vacuum being created, trying to suck air down into rocker cover- see pic of sandwich bag being drawn into filler neck below:

Image014.jpg

With filler blocked by cap/hand/sandwich bag it runs fine.

Is this a bad thing? Any ideas on causes?

Cheers

I don't think anything is wrong tbh, sucking through the oil filler is normaly for many engine that vent the crankcase back into the inlet. By removing the cap, you are allowing a LOT more air into the crankcase, and therefore sucked in through the crankcase breather and stuffed into the carbs/inlet.

Basically you are probably weakening the mixture by taking it off, which will make it run rough.

The crankcase on a V8 is pretty much sealed except for the filter on the rear left rocker cover (assuming you have one, not 100% on the older V8s), by opening it you are letting it breathe very freeling, and upsetting the designed balance.

That's my take on it anyhow :)

I'll go along with this. I had a similar problem with my wife's Merc 230, started to run rough and sometimes stall at idle.

The fault was eventually traced to a split O ring on the dipstick!

The crankcase needs to be sealed or excess air will be drawn in to the induction system upsetting the mixture.

Bob