black plastic header tank

munkymush

hi, ive got a 300tdi disco with a black plastic header tank(1998). ive read somewhere that these are prone to splitting? and a clear one is a better replacement?? is this correct anyone had probs with the black ones? glenn

Yes, get rid of it asap. You should at least keep an eye on the horizontal joint because that is where they split. It's not worth losing an engine for the cost of a new tank. The white/translucent ones from Britpart do not fail.

Yes, get rid of it asap. You should at least keep an eye on the horizontal joint because that is where they split. It's not worth losing an engine for the cost of a new tank. The white/translucent ones from Britpart do not fail.

thanks jim, thats what i needed to know ...

"get rid of it asap"

dream on, there are thousands running about with no problems, do you change the tyres every year just incase you may get a puncture with a half worn tyre?

I have the black tank on both the 200 & 300 and neither have given any problems to date :unsure: .

Also, I looked carefully at the white tank and it also has a middle seam, so I'm at a loss to see the advantage??

I have the black tank on both the 200 & 300 and neither have given any problems to date :unsure: .

Also, I looked carefully at the white tank and it also has a middle seam, so I'm at a loss to see the advantage??

You only have to have one problem and then you need to rebuild your engine. The white tank has a middle seam, and it doesn't split. The black tank has a middle seam, and they do split.

I am not stopping you running around with a black tank, it's your engine after all.

Someone asked for advice and I gave it.

My tank is larger than standard and is made from 3CR12 'stainless' steel.

If anyone wants it, I can post them my old black one. :P

I think you need to understand the black plastic header tanks do split, but then so do the white header tanks. It all down to pressure in the cooling system which may happen due to a cooling component failure. If the pressure relief valve on the header tank cap fails to operate, then the pressure in the system will find the weakest point and it will fail. The black plastic header tanks have a lower pressure rating than the white ones. So as long as you don't allow the cooling system to fail, its not something you should worry about. Ensure the pressure relief valve is OK, in the header tank cap works. the best way to test the header tank relief valve, is to take it to land rover and say, "can i have a new one, please", do this every 50 thou miles to be sure.

That's an interesting point you raise there, what do you lubricate them with??

I use Silicone spray. Not WD40 or CRC, but the real stuff & I do it routinely apx. 6 monthly as well as give the valves a light poke with a piece of wire.

I may be deluding myself, but over pressure of some sort kills these tanks. It also has to be considered that some tanks may be s**e manufacture from the beginning.

How perfect is the"welded" joint?

It seems to me, that it would only need a poor contact section to let go & that would tend to take the whole side seam out.

Was it made on a Monday or a Friday?

Was it a built in fault that keeps LR Parts solvent? :rolleyes:

I have never personally come across a split white tank, but maybe I should stop telling customers that they never split, and use more non-commital language.

But I can hardly say "get rid of your black tank, we will fit a nice new white one, but it may also split", can I? :unsure:

I have never personally come across a split white tank, but maybe I should stop telling customers that they never split, and use more non-commital language.

But I can hardly say "get rid of your black tank, we will fit a nice new white one, but it may also split", can I? :unsure:

I have seen quite a lot of split black tanks and have seen a lot of white tanks and never one that has split. I am sure they "can" but in practice they "don't" unless there is another problem.

That makes two of us, and as we see a lot of vehicles I think we are right :P

So I will contend myself to replacing black tanks with white until proven otherwise. And then I will fit pink tanks with white polka dots. Ah, the joys of working on Land Rovers :)

Ah, I hate those things. You can't check the level without a mirror. But they don't burst, I must admit.

(well, I mustn't say that because we will now get posts from lots of TD5 owners who have had burst tanks B) ).

Er, yeah, actually they do Jim :unsure:

But the only one I have seen was on a Td5 with a vertical split down the bore of No. 1 several inches long which might explain why the cooling system was losing some juice :)

Well, as I say, TD5s pay the rent but I don't want one. Oh dear no. Possibly we only see the ones that go phut but I could write whole books on the troubles we have fixed. And it is not cheap stuff.

You only have to have one problem and then you need to rebuild your engine. The white tank has a middle seam, and it doesn't split. The black tank has a middle seam, and they do split.

I am not stopping you running around with a black tank, it's your engine after all.

Someone asked for advice and I gave it.

My tank is larger than standard and is made from 3CR12 'stainless' steel.

If anyone wants it, I can post them my old black one. :P

Hi Jim, I wasn't implying that you were wrong, I was just saying that they look the same, you obviously feel strongly about it so can you help me understand why you believe that the white ones are better??

That makes two of us, and as we see a lot of vehicles I think we are right :P

So I will contend myself to replacing black tanks with white until proven otherwise. And then I will fit pink tanks with white polka dots. Ah, the joys of working on Land Rovers :)

You mean there is a Genuine Parts Bling alternative, Jim. P/N svp? :D