v8 related questions

bigblue110

im getting hold of an early n/a 90 and have a g reg RaRo 3.9efi auto sat on the drive currently. along with many other'toys' unfortnatly the Ra has a body being held together with a sort of patchwork steel bogdery (not my handy work) and a chassis which is a hole different set of bodges. however lurking under the bonnet sits 4 litres of glory which has covered 80k and runs and drives like a beaut. only thing iv picked up on it is a tappy injector, which leads on to my first question. can you test the injectors for serviceability?? im thinking iv read somewhere about testing for resistances but that wer many moons ago and cant find where i saw it. if im right anyone know any tolerances??how much for replacement injections?

next question, related topic and getting back to the blurb earlier about the 90. i fancy chucking (in a non literal sense) the v8 and auto box from the Ra into the 90 to free up my drive and get rid of the n/a. my question being as i havent looked :blush: is there a difference between a 90 auto box and a RaRo box. so not to cause me a heart attack when i find it wont fit for some reason next weekend. will i have to find '90 auto' props in reguards to length?

cheers andy

The noise is probably a lifter ..................... at 80K unless it has been very well looked after, the cam and lifters will probably require replacement.

Try getting the engine up to temp and see if the tappet quietens down .................often they will..........

Putting the complete transmission into the 90 is relatively straightforward .................... but I guess it will be better to swap the existing LT230 across and lose the RR BW chain drive t/box.

The biggest issue is usually the placement of the shifter and trying to get it to look neat.......................there are part to do this but usually £££££££

:)

Ian

shes all good on that front,got receipts for cam and tappets 7k previously along with a shed load of other work carried out at the same time.iv assumed it was injector as tappet noise dies with pressure and from poking my headin over it running. any other usual suspects?

in relation to tbox iv got a 1.222 box on my bench at the mo in bits awaiting parts for rebuild. what parts would i need for shifter arrangement??

10w 40 magnatec freaking expensive too. now youve said it,its definately more of a click. i think im guna stick it in run it in for a while then dump oils filters again flush it all through, after all it has been stood on my drive for 8 months bar the odd day when iv taken her across the fields

any idea on selector fitment?

TBH, I'd suspect a leaking exhaust manifold... given you have receipts for a cam-job. These sound remarkably like the tappets, just a damned sight cheaper and easier to replace!

Feel round each exhaust port for a leak, you'll know when you find it cos the hot gas will start slow cooking your finger :)

Good luck.