Throttle response and other niggles

uazvet

Hi

Since buying 97 ES, I queried in previous post the kickdown delay, and was told that this is quite normal. However, I would like to know if there is any method of quickening the throttle response, or at least reducing the pedal travel. Asking not because I want to turn it into a sportscar! but simply as a means to improving the comfort (long arm-short legs, ahemm monkeyman?). Also, the brake pedal has quite long travel, but guess this could be rectified by thorough brake system service - but any other ideas welcome.

Finally, wind noise from passenger side, quite pronounced at speed (70mph), oddly no noise on drivers side - misfitted panels? The bonnet doesnt have flush fit with side panel (though no accident damage) a build quality issue - as with the paint etc..?

Otherwise, fantastic car!

Regs

Simon

Hi there again, my exhaust backbox finally went after ten years, so I replaced the exhaust with a 'cat back' stainless steel system, there was a instant noticeable differance with the engine being much more responsive a lot of money but well spent. :D

Changing plugs and leads can also make a big differance.

Yes I had a long travel brake pedal I bled the brakes and the pedal went back to normal, not a 'sharp' as some modern cars are now but Discovery normal, around 50mm or so travel. Are the pads ok?

Wind noise, a problem with the passenger door seal rubber, may be.

Bonnet, u may be able to adjust the bonnet catch to pull down the bonnet, again may be.

Regards

Hi there again, my exhaust backbox finally went after ten years, so I replaced the exhaust with a 'cat back' stainless steel system, there was a instant noticeable differance with the engine being much more responsive a lot of money but well spent. :D

Changing plugs and leads can also make a big differance.

Yes I had a long travel brake pedal I bled the brakes and the pedal went back to normal, not a 'sharp' as some modern cars are now but Discovery normal, around 50mm or so travel. Are the pads ok?

Wind noise, a problem with the passenger door seal rubber, may be.

Bonnet, u may be able to adjust the bonnet catch to pull down the bonnet, again may be.

Regards

When I changed my flexible brake pipes for stainless braided and renewed the brake fluid and put new pads in that made a real difference to the pedal travel and brake performance, looking to change the disc's soon.

cheers guys for the advice. since the vehicle regs in russia are lax (to say the least), i may even contemplate a straight thu exhaust:) but seriously, some performance ht leads and ngk v groove plugs i've just bought, and some aftermarket brake pads (will see if local part shop supplies braided hose though, sounds sensible upgrade) and i'll give it a bash.

wind noise issue, are there windeflectors available for the discovery? the rubber seal seems fine and no overly wide door panel gap

Poly-carb wind deflectors are available I can find the link and post in the forum if required, the company is formula4x4.com

With the door try adjusting the lock striker plate to bring the door closer, the hinges are adjustable also, but unless u know what u are doing leave alone as u could upset the door alignment. A passenger could help in placing their hand around the door to feel for a draft, or elliminate the door issue altogether

The induction/exhaust is a balanced system on a V8 so if u mean by a "straight through exhaust" you can see t through the pipe end to end with no baffles then your engine will not run very well, unless the induction side is altered/modified. The exhaust I fitted is a sports exhaust tuned for the V8 and there are baffles in the boxes to give the amount of back pressure required.

Regards

cheers teabag, i checked out the site. As for straight thru exhaust that was tongue in cheek - though i bet it would sound the mutt nuts!!! a couple of years ago our mechanics did this with my russian UAZ for an offroad event, a four cylinder 16v 2.7injection motor, it went like stink upto about 60kph and sounded beautiful, but eventually my eardrums said nuffs enough wideboy!! - a right giggle tho!