bought myself a presant

robhybrid

I was told about something selling on e bay underdrive

I thought it was a bit strange that it was a 3 day listing and the bidders were kept private but hey ho.

I was the succesfull highest bidder and contacted the seller by e mail wishing to pay in cash and collect my new toy.

I have now had an e-mail saying that he will only post the item and only accepts payment by WesternUnion

I have replied saying that unless he is willing to accept cash on collection for his item he must be fraudulent.

I am now waiting to see what hapens next <_<

I thought eBay had recently banned Western Union Transfers as a payment method because of the amount of crooked eBay'ers using it.

Sounds dodgy to me.

Also watch out for third parties emailing you with 'the winning bidder never paid up so since you were the second highest bidder i'll give you first refusal' scam. Seems to be very popular at the moment. My dad got the email asking for funds to be sent via Western to to a US bank. Unusual thinks my dad, since he'd already spoken to the genuine seller in... Doncaster.

Kev

Ebay "strongly discourage" using instant cash transfer services such as MoneyGram or Western Union.

With no feedback, dodgy name and unwilling to meet, then I think an e-mail to the fraud dept on ebay is the next step. If s/he's legit then no worries, but these criminals are exploiting this 'un-policed' area of sales and are netting thousands of pounds from unsuspecting customers! Report 'em and get the b@$t@*ds behind bars!! Grrrr :angry:

eBay are pathetic when it comes to enforcing anything. I guess they make their cut regardless!

I reported someone selling a laptop with java script in the description which pops up a box asking for your ebay login details then mails them to an ip address. That was a week ago, but it's still there today - clearly just there to harvest peoples ID's

There was also a thing on watchdog about people selling positive feedback - generally under the guise of cookie recipies. eBay said they have stamped on this, but the same day there were over 100 listed! Try searching for 'positive feedback' - there are loads today. It makes the whole feedback thing pointless!

There are currently 89054 items with western union payment!

When you buy something and something completly different turns up - eBay's response was as goods have arrived, there is no case to answer and it is my responsibility to check that the item is what I want!

It has made me much more reluctant to buy anything on there. Hopeless.

Si

Also watch out for third parties emailing you with 'the winning bidder never paid up so since you were the second highest bidder i'll give you first refusal' scam. Seems to be very popular at the moment. My dad got the email asking for funds to be sent via Western to to a US bank. Unusual thinks my dad, since he'd already spoken to the genuine seller in... Doncaster.

Kev

I had that on an item I had bid on, I knew it wasn't from the seller as he sits across the office from me :unsure:

I was told about something selling on e bay underdrive

I thought it was a bit strange that it was a 3 day listing and the bidders were kept private but hey ho.

I was the succesfull highest bidder and contacted the seller by e mail wishing to pay in cash and collect my new toy.

I have now had an e-mail saying that he will only post the item and only accepts payment by WesternUnion

I have replied saying that unless he is willing to accept cash on collection for his item he must be fraudulent.

I am now waiting to see what hapens next <_<

eBay are not totally useless when you get stung as I did for the first time in my ebay career this year.

I paid for an item by PayPal (an eBay company) for an item that never arrived. I then suspected I had bought something from someone who's account had been hacked. It was then immediatly obvious I had been the victim of a scam so I was a bit dischuffed at the legth of time it took to get my money back but in the end Pay Pal coughed up a refund.

You do need to be careful to esnusure all the buyer protection applies - it is tied up in quite a lot of mumbo jumbo but if you are eligable you will be OK up to a limit - so i don't trade now over that.

Lastly eBay have outlawed Western Union Payments just this week. When I logged in to my eBay account one day earlier this week I was first taken to a message telling me this.

I reported someone selling a laptop with java script in the description which pops up a box asking for your ebay login details then mails them to an ip address. That was a week ago, but it's still there today - clearly just there to harvest peoples ID's

Maybe the god of internet auction sites is listening - this item has gone now. Doesn't say item withdrawn, instead that the ID is unknown - so probably deleted from on high!

Si

Just had this from e-bay yesterday:-

Dear Robert Jones (robert@lonceirios.freeserve.co.uk),

The following is a notice from eBay Trust & Safety regarding:

Item Number - 4598936438

Item Title - ***Land Rover Defender underdrive off road crawler g***

Our records show that you were a bidder on this item. We recently removed this listing and have suspended the seller's trading privileges. Due to privacy concerns we will not be able to share further details related to this seller.

If someone claiming to be the seller asks you to complete a transaction outside of eBay, we strongly recommend that you ignore the request. Transactions for items listed on eBay that are completed outside of the eBay marketplace are not covered by the Buyer Protection services offered by eBay and can be highly indicative of fraud.

If you have not sent payment to the seller, we urge you to not proceed with the transaction.

If you have already paid, you may wish to pursue recouping your funds. Some steps you might take include:

1. Ask the seller for a refund

2. If you paid by check, ask your bank to stop payment

3. If you paid by credit card, contact your credit card company's security department 4. If you have made a payment by money order or wire transfer, you may contact that company for further information at 1-800-325-6000 (Western Union), or at 1-800-926-9400 (Money Gram) 5. If you paid with PayPal, review the Buyer Complaint Process at:

/csg/p?www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/protections-buyer-outside

6. Review eligibility requirements for eBay's standard purchase protection program at:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/isgw...quirements.html

There are many tips on how to protect yourself with any Internet transaction in the eBay Security Center located at:

http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter

Our goal is to ensure that your eBay experience is safe so that you can buy confidently. It is rare that something goes wrong with a transaction on eBay, but we're here to help you protect yourself in the event it does. If you have any questions, please reply directly to this email.

Regards,

Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)

eBay Inc

A bit late but at least they do observe when you notify them that there are fraudulent people out there.