Converting 2 1/4 Petrol to Nissan 2.7TD

TonkaIIa

Hi,

I am considering changing my series IIa 2 1/4 petrol to a Nissan 2.7TD (Maverick/Terrano)

Have found a conversion kit and seems like a straight forward conversion, with some slight modifications needed.

The conversion kit consist of the following -

Aluminum conversion plate

Engine mounting brackets

Engine mounting rubbers

Spigot shaft bush

Chassis mounting bracket

All nuts/bolts

Just have some question -

1, Has anyone ever carried out this type of conversion on there series, and what was involved?

2, Would there be any problems with engine weight doing this conversion?

3, Has anyone have a opinion on the Nissan 2.7TD engine reliable, fuel etc etc?

4, My gearbox suffix ends with an "E" which I believe is the later box!, would there be any concern in placing this engine onto this gearbox?

Any info/guide would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Gary

I have no idea of the conversion intricasies but IMO the gearbox is not man enough to stand up to that engine for very long.

However all is not lost as the conversion plate should suit the later more robust LT77/R380/ LT230 transmission as fitted to TDI Defenders/Discos.

Bill

If not consider the Izusu 2.8 first

or one of the Ford engines... ? I've got a spare conversion plate for the V6 to Series box.

I'm not sure if that would fit the back of a Transit diesel. Can you get your hands on one of them? B)

The isuzu is a stonking engine and is very very short, if you put it in a defender on a short bellhousing gearbox the crank nose is behind the front axle center line!

This means in a series you have lots more room for battery/air filter etc in front of the engine.

Will.

• 11 years later...

I've done  2 conversions to nissan td27 into a series 3, but used taxi engines, (td27 without turbo)so it dosent put excessive strain on the gearbox. Even without turbo it's about 85hp so still more power than the 2286 rover diesel or petrol. 

Very easy to do, nissan flywheel needs tapping to take the series clutch cover, RH engine mounting to chassis needs welding onto chassis, LH footwell needs a bit chopping out to avoid the exhaust front pipe,  nissan thermostat housing needs tapping to take the land rover temperature sender, the rest is simple such as adapting exhaust front pipe, making radiator hoses and wiring, making a throttle cable, 

I used the nissans own alternator as it has a vacuum pump attached for your brake servo. 

The taxi nissan td27 can be high mileage but they are bulletproof, even more so without the turbo. 

Not prone to leaking oil, fairly economical, very reliable.