help !! 300tdi into 110 defender avin a bit o trouble

hi can anybody help me with some questions, i am currently fitting a 300 tdi into a 110 n/a ex military defender. i bought the engine and was told it was a defender engine but i think its a discovery as i had to remove some of the bellhousing studs and the allpipes too short.

Q1. As i had to grind of the engine mounts off the the chassis what is the height of the gearbox from the round cross member to give me a point of reference for welding in new engine mounts? :huh:

Q2.on the right hand side of the engine as you look at it, what distance should the block be away from the chassis rail and what point of reference would that be on the block? :huh:

GALMI Rob

P.S as i am hoping to weld it in tomorrow.

Guest diesel_jim

Rob, PM me your email address, i've got all the dimensions for the 300Tdi mounts on pictures, where they go on the chassis.

BUT... it's for a "genuine" type fitting, so they're the measurements if you're using an R380 in the proper position.

if you're fitting the 300 to the original LT77 box, then i think it's correct that some of the studs need removing.

Take a look here at nicks jungle, where he's done a very comprehensive tach article on how to convert the engine/box to fit each other

Rob, PM me your email address, i've got all the dimensions for the 300Tdi mounts on pictures, where they go on the chassis.

BUT... it's for a "genuine" type fitting, so they're the measurements if you're using an R380 in the proper position.

if you're fitting the 300 to the original LT77 box, then i think it's correct that some of the studs need removing.

Take a look here at nicks jungle, where he's done a very comprehensive tach article on how to convert the engine/box to fit each other

Cheers Jim

My e-mail is galmi@uwclub.net, sorry didn't get back last night as I was out with my son.

I have fitted the engine to the original gear box removing some studs and it is sitting far back close to the bulk head ala nicksjungle images which I discovered after posting this question. So the height of the engine to the cross member is my main point of reference.

Many thanks

GALMI Rob

• 9 years later...

Just a couple of by the by bits of info. With the 300 they are all the same whether they are originally from a Defender or a Discovery (apart from things like the EDC) The R380 is mounted on the gearbox Xmember in the Defender application.

A friend recently replaced a 200 with a 300 and is using the engine mounts from the 200 plus some bespoke brackets because he did not want to weld his galv chassis. The vibration levels are horrendous!