Cooper mud terrains

will_warne

I've been having a look arround and just about the only 'mud terrain' you can get in a sensible size (something arround 35" diameter and less than 12.5" wide) is a Cooper mud terrain (available in 35 x 10.5 r 16s). My 255 x 85 r 16 BFGs were great but now I've changed my gearing they're too small, mostly because when I have muds on instead of Simex I'll probably be doing motorway speeds.

Kev, if your watching, I know you run their all terrains in that size. How do you find them? Where did you buy them? And, what sort of price did you pay?

Merry Christmas and TIA

There are two different sorts of Discoverer STT (the mud terrain) and two different patterns, but both called STT!!

I have just ordered some of the new ones at work because they are available in a size to suit the 17" rims on the Discovery 3s and some people seem to want decent tyres on their vehicles ... got them from Sinton Tyres who were the best (trade) price from a number of enquiries, but as Sinton are supposed to have the importers rights on Coopers, that didn't surprise me. The trade price wasn't cheap (BFG sort of money) but I couldn't fault their service, I had an answer to my email in less than an hour and the order was ready for despatch the following day.

The "new" STT is a similar pattern to the Goodyear MTR, not as chunky as the "old" STT.

No feedback yet because we haven't got them yet - but I did a lot of digging on Coopers before we ordered any and the writeups they get from Australia all seem to be good in terms of treadwear and puncture resistance, which were the two things I was looking for.

However a lot of people here used to use the "old" STT pattern about 5 years ago but nobody seems to any more, but I don't know if that was down to bad experiences, or perhaps just the fact that my Kumhos and Grabbers were cheaper :D (gratuitous self-plug :ph34r: ) - all I notice is that you no longer see them on vehicles round town, and there used to be quite a lot (probably about 40% of the vehicles in town have MT's of one make or another fitted ... even some of the taxis!!!)

I bought a set of the new STT's for a long desert trip. Although they list larger sizes, the biggest released in Aus (so far) are 265/75R16 (about 32").

They are pretty comparable to other muddies. A bit quieter on the black stuff than some. The main reason that I bought them was for the advertised puncture resistance of the side walls (for a radial tyre).

Will

Northernchris (a member on here) has a new set of 5 for sale on 15" modulars.

He was seeking 450 pounds for them.

I have seen them. They look excellent and I know Kev Baldwin was waxing lyrical about his set recently.

John

Will

I have got some of the old style ones on my 90 in 35/12.50/15 and they are far better than the 255/85/15 bfg m/ts they replaced!!!!! As John (headhunter) mentioned i have a BRAND NEW set of 5 33/12.50/15 on new rims for sale.

Chris

I've been having a look arround and just about the only 'mud terrain' you can get in a sensible size (something arround 35" diameter and less than 12.5" wide) is a Cooper mud terrain (available in 35 x 10.5 r 16s). My 255 x 85 r 16 BFGs were great but now I've changed my gearing they're too small, mostly because when I have muds on instead of Simex I'll probably be doing motorway speeds.

Kev, if your watching, I know you run their all terrains in that size. How do you find them? Where did you buy them? And, what sort of price did you pay?

Merry Christmas and TIA

Will

I'm running the ST's which are the compromise half MT-half AT pattern in a 315/75x16 which is the 35in equivalent. Had them 18-months now and can't fault them. The ST is hugely popular in Australia, as are Cooper tyres in general. The tyre you'll be after is the STT which is their new Mud pattern, strangely similar to the Goodyear MT/R but with chunkier side-lugs.

I'm a bit confused as to your sizing. '35/10.5x16'?? I didn't know Cooper did this size? My 315/75x16's are a 12.5 wide. Next size down would be a 305/70x16 which is a 33in equivalent, but still a wide tyre.

I got mine direct from Sinton Tyres in Milton Keynes. They are the official UK importers/wholesealers of Cooper (and Mickey Thompson since it's the same company) but they do retail sales. They did me 'a deal' and I paid approx £100 each for them. Nice people to deal with. Because they aren't as popular brand as others, Sinton don't keep a huge range of sizes. I had to wait something like six weeks for their next container shipment to arrrive from the US for my 315's.

Kev

Thanks everyone, I'll have to have a look at them.

Kev, sorry, must have been weong about the size, I could have sworn someone told me they were less than 12.5" wide. However, from the photos I've seen they don't look as wide as most of the other 12.5s.

Si, no problem. How did the Xmas day shift go?

Will,

I've been looking for something similar but came across this the other day...

http://www.simex4x4.com/html/default.asp

Not sure the right page will come up but if you check Simex ET specs they give a width of 12.0" which is rather larger than the 35x10.5 suggests. I'm now wondering if a set of 315/75r16s might not be a reasonable alternative for road use.

Next step is to measure the Simex.