What Steering damper

freeagent

After flattening my brand-new Old Man Emu Steering damper last weekend i'm in the market for a new one (again :( )

I've moved the damper from behind the front axle, to on top of the drag link 'defender style' so it hopefully shouldn't get squashed again.

The OME one was really good, much better than the standard one... but is there anything else i should be considering before I splash out another £50 on a second OME one?

what is everyone else running, and are they any good?

I have tried standard, Delphi and OME and would definately go for OME again should the need arise. I believe LLama 4x4 do a Rough Country one which if they are made as well as the shock absorbers will be good value for money, plus you get a forum discount if you speak to David.

OME on my 110 works really well & doesn't override the steerings self centring action.

A lot of the gas filled dampers will override .................. avoid DeCarbon ............I needed permanent bias on the wheel to keep a straight line ..........

Having played around a little, I guess a standard Woodhead is as good as any..............

:)

Ian

Sorry but little bit of a hi-jack here :ph34r:

I have removed my steering damper and am no longer running one because I do not have the bracket as I sold my QT diff guards and replaced them with the galvanised dishes. It is fine off road but will it do any damage without one??? Another good thing about not having one, is that the steering is now lighter :D

Sorry but little bit of a hi-jack here :ph34r:

I have removed my steering damper and am no longer running one because I do not have the bracket as I sold my QT diff guards and replaced them with the galvanised dishes. It is fine off road but will it do any damage without one??? Another good thing about not having one, is that the steering is now lighter :D

It wont do any damage not having one, no need to worry there.

A lot of the gas filled dampers will override .................. avoid DeCarbon ............I needed permanent bias on the wheel to keep a straight line ..........

Having played around a little, I guess a standard Woodhead is as good as any..............

:)

Ian

Whats a OME one spec wise then ?

Interested in this thread - as the one on mine is past its sell by date being bent (as per steering box bent main shaft just recent replaced, look like the damper also Got it :lol: ) :( as did the steering track arm as well, but had a spare of that now fitted ....

Nige

i ran my defender with a completely knackered damper for over a year and didnt notice the difference when i replaced it for another standard damper.

as long as everything is set up right, swivel preloads etc and you arent running mega huge tyres - then you shouldnt need one.