Vepsskii Les

• 2 weeks later...
Think ill pass on this one, long way 2 go for an event that's got no time for drinking and sleep ;) Ill come to lodoga next year instead.

Vepskiy Les is "Vepsäläisten metsä" in finnish and in english it's "Veps forest". More information of this native group called "Veps" you can find eq.

http://www.eki.ee/books/redbook/veps.shtml

Area where the race is northern-veps natural area.

Ladoga Trofi is like holiday and Finland Trophy is "sunny holiday" if you compare it Vepskiy Les. In Vepskiy Les there is four diffrent kind of swaps, I call them terms:

S= Swap

FS= ****ing Swap

VFS = Very ****ing Swap

VFSWS = Very ****ing Swap With Suprises

It's hardcore off road event....the best in this planet...When you have finish it you think that you can kiss the world...

Yep, 2003 year video made by Sergei Belothskin is maybe the best video what has ever made in Vepskiy. I think that I have allso those older ones which are little bit better. I think. In the old times there wasn't sleeping times, so you drive as long as you could and sleep your car... what you sleep...nowdays they have those sleeping times for safety reasons, cause there was near to happen very bad accidents when people drive or run in a swap continously around 30 hours.. but it is still.... HARDCORE...

By the way those two Italian cars on the video (MB and Suzuki) get forward about 300 metres from the start when they decided this is not for them. And put the cancel button...they really didn't understand where they are participating.....

Yep, 2003 year video made by Sergei Belothskin is maybe the best video what has ever made in Vepskiy. I think that I have allso those older ones which are little bit better. I think. In the old times there wasn't sleeping times, so you drive as long as you could and sleep your car... what you sleep...nowdays they have those sleeping times for safety reasons, cause there was near to happen very bad accidents when people drive or run in a swap continously around 30 hours.. but it is still.... HARDCORE...

By the way those two Italian cars on the video (MB and Suzuki) get forward about 300 metres from the start when they decided this is not for them. And put the cancel button...they really didn't understand where they are participating.....

And if you want to be at centrepoint of nothing. Your are in Vepskiy Les...

Oh if only, if only, if only i could get by buggy ready in time... All i can do is but try... Next year for sure tho.....!!!

My recommendation is.. take short steps... I have driving in England and your races are very sunny, sunny and light comparing what you have in front of you when you go to Vepskiy Les. My advice is

First step: Take a part of Finland Trophy, if you are able to finish it. Go forward..

Second step: Ladoga Trophy, if you are able to finish it. Go forward..

Third step: Vepskiy Les, and you are in the offroaders heaven...or it looks like a swap which just goes on on on on.......400 metres is enough rope in Vepskiy Les that distance you will find anyhow something where the winch....

• 3 weeks later...

Some strange bits in those regs Jez - everything must be "original...suggesting factory fitted type"....how's that work on a proto where nothing is standard??

Also it says only 1 winch, tyres of 820mm or less which is only 32"....???

best make sure we dont break then :lol:

theres no evac for Tr3 or Tr4 cars at Ladoga either, if you break it then sort it out yourself or leave it - its more fun when life isnt fluffy, kinda focuses your mind a little :)

So far every car has been somehow get out. And after prize giving there is a party and local village Visnitsy's "disco" is very "intresting"... you can also rent a sauna for locals, rent is normally a bag of vodka. No matter of quality everything goes.

Last place to get diesel and petrol is Lukoil station in St.Petersburg-Murmansk road. Lukoil is left side at the crossing where you turn to Veppskiy. In "Visnitsy" there is "no name station" ...there is pumps for 92 and 72 oct petrol and diesel, but I have understand that 92 oct and diesel tanks are always empty. Only 72 oct petrol is available.

Earlier years there has been about half a way "restaurant" for the participants, hosted by the St.Petersburg Off Road Club. It's near Yuri's cottage. After the restaurant route goes over the river and then there is the famous uphill....

And warm clothes are essential there is very cold at nights (can be minus degrees). Yuri told me once that in winter time is 2 months minus -40-50 degrees...

72 octane is lots of fun Myllis, I love the fact that when you put it on the fire - the fire goes out :lol:

maybe we pack a jumper, some extra cigarettes - and take a 5litre petrol can :ph34r:

Yuri sent me some pictures of his cottage in the winter, it didnt look a lot colder than minus 39c ;):P

222747.jpg

ach maybe ah'll hoi a scarf in the bag then, and i guess the short shorts wil hae tae saty at hame this time roond! :(

Still loving the fact that the uber expensive burn any fuel camping stove spat the dummy at russian fuel!! I reckon we had more chance wi that dodgy rusky red bull fae the service stations!!