Help with Alloy Wheel Rim size please

JST

My father is running a 03MY Disco with 18" alloys. and having seen the limited choice of decent AT 18" tyres (with the same 55 profile) and expense (£130 for AT2s) he asked about the possibility of fitting 16" rims.

i know the PCD is different. Can you get adaptors to alloy say tdi disco style/defender style 16" alloy with larger PCD to fit his disco?

Is it worth the effort, and presumably these if available move the wheel further out.

Last one - What size 16" tyre would be needed to maintain the same vehicle ride height that he currently has (255/55R18 fitted)? If know one knows off hand i will work it out - just being lazy!

Hes aware of the profile change and would prefer the higher profiles for greater comfort and doesnt drive it fast anyway so cornering shouldnt be affected that badly.

Alternatively did they do a 03MY disco with 16" alloys as std?

All Series 2 Discoverys use the same wheel fitment, which is also the same as the P38a Range Rover in PCD etc.

Probably the cheapest option would be to look out for a set of ex RR 16" alloys second hand, I gather a lot of people upgrade to 18s, though I think the vehicles look better with 16s - low profile rims on a 4x4 look cr&p IMHO!

But plenty (in fact most) S2 Discoverys will have had 16s fitted, there are 7x16 and 8x16 alloy rims in a few different styles, and 7x16 steels. I think the nuts will be the same for all the alloys, steel nuts are different.

The 16" rims have 235/70R16 or 255/65R16 tyres fitted, on 7x16 and 8x16 rims respectively. Either of these tyre sizes will be the same diameter (more or less - maybe a few mm difference) as the 18s on there.

You can get adaptors/spacers to put D2 wheels on D1s but not sure about the other way round - but personally I don't like this idea anyway.

I use 255/70R16s on my D2 (BFG ATs) and I like the improvement in ride comfort these give, I have not found the handling a problem in any way and it is miles ahead of my old Discovery.

Probably the cheapest option would be to look out for a set of ex RR 16" alloys second hand, I gather a lot of people upgrade to 18s, though I think the vehicles look better with 16s - low profile rims on a 4x4 look cr&p IMHO!

I agree, an do nothing for road comfort. nto around here anyway.

But plenty (in fact most) S2 Discoverys will have had 16s fitted, there are 7x16 and 8x16 alloy rims in a few different styles, and 7x16 steels. I think the nuts will be the same for all the alloys, steel nuts are different.

Thats the info i needed, so will look out for some 2nd hand D2 wheels in 16" i think. He will want to try and stay with the style of the vehicle eg D2 alloys choice rather then RR ones

The 16" rims have 235/70R16 or 255/65R16 tyres fitted,

255/65 it is then

You can get adaptors/spacers to put D2 wheels on D1s but not sure about the other way round - but personally I don't like this idea anyway.

I have seen the large PCD to small PCD ocnes as well, but not the other way around

Steven,

:P thank you for your advice, excellent as ever.

Unless you've got winding mountain roads to contend with, frequent switchbacks, adverse camber chicanes with sheer drops, minimal/non-existent barriers.. then you could need the reduction in treachery that lower profile tyres provide.

according to the tyre calculator 255/55 18 equates to 235/70 16 , 255/65 16 as aforesaid :D, other alternatives 275/60, 305/55 for relatively precise matches.

Unless you've got winding mountain roads to contend with, frequent switchbacks, adverse camber chicanes with sheer drops, minimal/non-existent barriers.. then you could need the reduction in treachery that lower profile tyres provide.

according to the tyre calculator 255/55 18 equates to 235/70 16 , 255/65 16 as aforesaid :D, other alternatives 275/60, 305/55 for relatively precise matches.

The Disco 3 has a larger center hole in the wheel than Disco 2 or P38RR, so these wheels wont fit on the hub flange. The only other LR rims that will fit are L322 RR and RR sport.

You can get decent off road tyres for the 17" wheels that come on the base model Disco 3. Have a look on dosco3.co.uk website. plenty of discusion about tyre choices.

Alan

The Disco 3 has a larger center hole in the wheel than Disco 2 or P38RR, so these wheels wont fit on the hub flange. The only other LR rims that will fit are L322 RR and RR sport.

You can get decent off road tyres for the 17" wheels that come on the base model Disco 3. Have a look on dosco3.co.uk website. plenty of discusion about tyre choices.

Alan

Sorry - misread 03MY for Disco 3

Doh

Al

Steven,

:P thank you for your advice, excellent as ever.

I have a set of P38 16" Scallop type that I got before the ones I really wanted.

You can have them for two Milky Bars if you like, only trouble is collection is up to you and I am in SW Scotland and wont be back till end Jan.

Any good? Let me know and we will work something out.

That sounds reasonable good, could well be interested, what condition are they in and any photos?. if you have any further info you please could you drop me an email greenmachine417@aol.com

Many thanks.

(oh yeah - what does two milky bars equate to?)

James

I used this lot

for postage

cheap/insurable and collect/deliver to any address.

up to 30kg 2 day servce was £8 plus £5 insurance.

o/s London they subcontract using Parcel force.

Tony

ps the parcels I sent exceeded the 30 kg so I sent 2 costing £16 plus the £5 insurance

Edited by white90