Axle Shafts

Baldewin

I've been told by a vendor here in the US that the 24 spline half shafts on the exmod were heavy duty. Is there any truth to this rumor? While were on the subject is there any truth to the rumor that the cv joints are also Heavy duty type or at least the same as the ones on the 110?

Cheers

Chris

Guest diesel_jim

Some military 90's were fitted with the 4 pinion HD diff, along with HD rear 24 spline shafts (in the rear axle). these are the same diff's and shafts as fitted to the V8 90

pull a shaft out and see if it's 24 spline.

however.... someone may have changed the rear diff to a later (like ex disco or 300Tdi defender) rear diff, which were 24 spline (but not 4 pinion HD) and used standard (later) 24 spline non HD shafts.

so the best bet is to remove the rear diff completly and have a quick look at it. if the diff is all "enclosed" (looking like an ARB locking diff) then it's 4 pinion HD.

if you can see all the planet and sun gears, then 'tis is a weedy 2 pinion.

front CV joints were the same on civlian and military rovers. most had the stronger 23spline AEU2522 type, later defenders that had disc braked rear axles would have had the later weaker 32 spline CV's

Guest diesel_jim
So, what your saying is the millitary calls them HD but in reality they are no differn't than standard V-8 axles and if I wan't true HD axles I would need to get them from an Ashcroft or Maxdrive type place.

yeah, exactly. you'll find that the ashcroft ones are probably stronger than standard 24 spline (V8) ones, so unless you really wanted a beefy axle, just get genuine LR parts.

or bearmach. i bough a replacement shaft for the back of my 90 some years back (at the time i had ARB lockers and was running 35" simex) and one of their V8 shafts worked a treat. it's still going strong in the vehicle now. from bearmach, it was about £23 IIRC. certainly sub £30.

• 6 months later...
Thanks Jim

How about the front axle half shafts. Is there any way to tell if they are 10 or 24 spline without removing them? I definitly have 24hd axles in the rear with the 4 pin diff. The truck is an exmod and the front axle number is 23Lo6565B.

Cheers!

Would anyone know if the front shafts are 24 spline based on the following? The truck is an exmod, has 24 spline HD half shafts in the rear and has/had a 4 pin diff. The axle number on the front is 23L06565B. I know I can pull the front end open and look but would rather not at this time.

Cheers,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Just a thought if this has not yet been answered. Has the 90/110 front axle got a filler in the dif pan like a series front, cos on my 2a front axle you could see the diff thro the filler hole well enough to see if it was a 2 pin or 4 pin unit.
No the question has not yet ben ansered and thank you for your interest. I am able to look inside and it is a 2 pin differential.

Cheers,

Chris