Series III and an automatic Trans

sombre1

Hello,

I am considering installing an autobox in my series 3 diesel; does anyone know if an automatic and transfer case from a 1997 Discovery will fit?

Of course there is bound to be tons of mods necessary, but I am prepared for this. I just want to know if the auto/transfer case assembly from a disco are significantly longer, or are the drives out of wack with the differentials of a series, etc

By-the-way, my series runs an Audi three cylinder, A2 turbo diesel. This is a great engine for the series vehicle. It has 105 hp and 195 ft lbs torque (it's been chipped), it's all aluminum, even the block. This engine saves about 100 lbs over the stock petrol engine that came out and is much more powerful. I haven't actually meassured the 0-60 time, but it is certain to be much quicker (the old series petrol would barely get to 60 mph at all!). I get 56 mpg at 55 mph on the motorway, maybe the best miles per gallon of any series vehicle, ever.

Anyway, I don't mind losing 10-15% if I don't have to shift. Besides, an auto is much more fun off road and with all the extra power and lighter weight, this will be a great combination.

By-the-way, the Audi diesel is way quieter than the old petrol, with virtually no vibration! With an autobox it will be like driving an electric car with lots of power.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

David

Assuming your engine bolts straight up to a standard series gearbox at the moment... then:

A 1993 or earlier ZF/R380 combo from a 200tdi disco would bolt straight up. A later model (e.g. 1997) needs a few bellhousing mods. I have heard that this is just a matter of removing one bolt from the back of the engine, but I have heard conflicting evidence and never tried it myself.

The ZF/R380 combo is longer than a series box and t-case, so you will need to have the front/rear propshafts lengthened/shortened respectively.

By-the-way, my series runs an Audi three cylinder, A2 turbo diesel. This is a great engine for the series vehicle. It has 105 hp and 195 ft lbs torque (it's been chipped), it's all aluminum, even the block. This engine saves about 100 lbs over the stock petrol engine that came out and is much more powerful. I haven't actually meassured the 0-60 time, but it is certain to be much quicker (the old series petrol would barely get to 60 mph at all!). I get 56 mpg at 55 mph on the motorway, maybe the best miles per gallon of any series vehicle, ever.

David

Where did you get the Audi engine from !!!! And how difficult was it to fit..??

It seems to be an ideal engine, as its small and light, but what's the downside...??

Cheers

Pete

Assuming your engine bolts straight up to a standard series gearbox at the moment... then:

A 1993 or earlier ZF/R380 combo from a 200tdi disco would bolt straight up. A later model (e.g. 1997) needs a few bellhousing mods. I have heard that this is just a matter of removing one bolt from the back of the engine, but I have heard conflicting evidence and never tried it myself.

The ZF/R380 combo is longer than a series box and t-case, so you will need to have the front/rear propshafts lengthened/shortened respectively.

Hi Isuzurover,

Thanks for your assistance!

Actually, the Audi engine did not bolt right up to the series grearbox easily. I had to create an adapter plate (not so much work on the vertical mill) and adapt the rover pressure plate, disc to the Audi flywheel (quite a hassle). Not to mention building an actuator arm and pivot for the release bearing!

Based on your info, I'll investigate the 1997-later.......

David

Where did you get the Audi engine from !!!! And how difficult was it to fit..??

It seems to be an ideal engine, as its small and light, but what's the downside...??

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,

I got the engine, intercooler, engine wiring harness an and ECU for this wrecker clearinghouse http://www.findanengine.co.uk/index.htm

I think it is the ideal engine for a series, an unbelievable drive. Spectacular fuel economy and a quite smooth free reving engine. Did I say fast? Well for a series its rather amazing. After dropping a hundred pounds (off the nose where it matter most) and doubling the horse power, well you can imagine.

Now I want to improve the ride/driving experience. Before someone recommends that I just go out and buy a modern, plush LandCruiser or Grand Cherokee, I like the series look, inside and out!

With that in mind, I have kept the body and interior pure Landie. However, I just don't like to shift, especially with my left hand ( I'm American :) and off roading is much more fun to me with an autobox.

I'd like to install an automatice trans and replace the chassis with a coil srung job. Parabolics have made a difference, but a coiler, maybe even an airbag chassis would be great.

Anyway, to your question, the down side is a ton of work and time! It was actually great fun engineering around all the challenges, but there were quite a few and I did all I could myself ( a lathe and a vertical mill are a must). It took about a year of weekends and more than a few nights after work.

Some of the challenges:

Modifying the rover clutch, pressureplate to the Audi flywheel.

Custom silicon pipes for the intercooler.

Customer radiator (more custom silicon!).

Motor mounts of course.

Getting the Audi Diesel running! Wiring harness confusion, sensor, etc. were all difficult but a kind Audi technician was great help!

Engine/trans adapter plate

For fun I installed an electric fan and water pump that are independantly thermostatically controlled so there is no unnecessary parasitic loses. Cool kit that runs a varying speeds (when they run at all!) and are said to save about 10% on fuel. The water pump starts running at a very low speed at a user defined 155 fahernheit and the fan starts slowly at 170.

I have probably forgotten many of the hard bits, but all in all, it has been great fun with a fantastic result.

By-the-way, I have been made a pretty freaking crazy offer for it, I may sell and get going on another one, or possibly a Defender.

Best regards,

David

Hi Isuzurover,

Thanks for your assistance!

Actually, the Audi engine did not bolt right up to the series grearbox easily. I had to create an adapter plate (not so much work on the vertical mill) and adapt the rover pressure plate, disc to the Audi flywheel (quite a hassle). Not to mention building an actuator arm and pivot for the release bearing!

Based on your info, I'll investigate the 1997-later.......

What I was meaning, is that is that if a series gearbox can NOW bolt straight on, a 200Tdi gearbox will also bolt straight on. The only problem would be the flex plate (may need to use an audi flex plate???).

But since it sounds like you can do any required mods yourself, why not fit the newest gearbox you can (unless you can find a reconditioned 200Tdi ZF).