Severe Wheel Wobble

tpk241

Hi All,

Before I start I thought i would say that i have searched extensively on this subject and found the possible suspects ... I think.

But would like a bit of a helping hand where to start and any other ideas i may have overlooked.

some recent work/info:

- I have recently rebuilt front axle with new CV's, Bearings, Swivels Bearing etc and done the preload to eliminate that from equation.

- Running 33x12.50x15 BFG on black mods.

- Recently added front mounted steering damper (old man emu HD)

- DC prop on front (checked and seems ok)

- Rear prop converted to double UJ (only a couple of weeks ago to eliminate)

The symptoms I have are very violent wheel shake that seems to be steering wheel position related. The ST wheel and road wheels wobble violently when in a straight ahead position. Slowing down does not help stop the wobble, but cocking the wheel to the left or right slightly seems to stop it altogether. Almost like i am holding the shake off by keeping the wheel tight against the point at which you start to steer Left or Right.

Possible suspects: ?

- Need to replace front radius arm bushes (got a set of blue super pro's to put on)

- Panhard Bush (had a blue SP one put on it last year)

- Very bad balancing on front wheels

- Play in steering shaft

Anyone else got any ideas or suggestions please let me know ...

Thanks

TPK

Hi,

Ive very same problem with my 110 crewcab 52plate

Changed everything you have talked about also and still does it. Props off and uj's done and put back on in same position still wobble that shakes steering wheel, the cab everything!!!

Wondering now if props need ballancing as gear stick wobbles like hell also or engine/gearbox mounts(but cant amagine mounts would make wobble so violent)

Really P...... me off now as 20year old offroading 110 drives 150% better at all speeds..

Pls keep me informed if you find problem, i'll do the same..

Cheers Mark

After closer inspection with a mate turning the wheel when i was underneath I noticed play in the passenger side panhard rod bracket. I tightened this up to pinch the panhard rod up tight in the bracket and problem solved (temporarily) ...

For the longer term I am going to weld a couple of 3/4mm washers onto the bracket as I think the bolt hole if worn and allows lateral movement.

Hope this helps.

TPK

In my experience, worn panhard rod bushes make the steering wander. Vibration at a certain speed is usually wheel/hub-related, such as balancing, distorted tyre or rim, swivel preload, worn bearings, or tracking, bent prop, worn sliding joint, radius arm bushes.

Les.

Les, The steering was wandering quite a bit .. but the bushes in the PH rod are quite new ... It was the bolt that had play in the axle locating bracket.

I am quite convinced i need to get my tyres balanced as well .. But compared to what it was like .. Its a 100% improvement just tightening up that bolt.

I'll let you know the outcome of the tyre balancing .. Got to get my MOT first .. 11:30 this morning .. wish me luck

TPK

• 2 months later...

Hi all

I have the same problem since my PAS box had quite of stroke, because of a road accident. The full left turn has gone, so I had to compensate it by the drag link. I checked all the rods, swivels, bushes, joints, geometry etc. and all of it was OK. Is it possible that wobbling to be caused by the pas box? I'm about to replace it anyway but I dont'n want to be hasty with it as the new box is quite of money...And hard to find also - it's a LHD Disco 1

I have had a similar problem in the past checked everything I could nothing cured it, the tyre man said it was not the wheels but I had my doubts so put rear wheels on front and fronts on rear, that cured it. So then I put one back on the front no difference then the other wobble retuned so swapped that for the spare solved the problem.

Steve

MY Disco used to shake violently when I hit a pot hole or speedbump etc.I bought a new steering damper for it and when I went to fit it ,the part the damper fits to was loose.I tightened this up and fitted the new damper and its been spot on ever since.