whats the best winch bumper for my 300tdi??

dougstar

I'm now in the market for a decent winch mountable smartish looking bumper for my 96 disco :D

however there seems to be alot out there to choose from, (and i hate making choices!) here is few that i have got my eye on......

this cheviot 4x4 is a fave but they are having problems with the design being legal and cannot give a rough date of availability

this one from D44 looks the biz but i just dont know??

rebel are doing this one

first 4 have this on e-blag for cheap enough?

i,m looking at the come up here? so it needs to accomadate this winch.

have i missed anything?

so come on please give your views on any of the above,

have you got any of the above? what's hot and whats not? let me know if you have got one and wish you had gone for the other :unsure:

My budget is £1000 for both winch and bumper so let me know who you think should get my $£$£ as this is a purchase i only want to make once.

Thanks in advance

Dougie

I'm almost in the same quandry, there's too much choice, but for my money out of the ones you've listed, it'd be the D44 one, nice and tight fitting, and i personally like the idea of the winch being out of most of the weather, daft i know, i have been looking at the Golddigger one, which seems good, and is even tighter fitting...... he also makes a steering guard that bolts to the bumper... i think this is the option i will be going for..... and if i feel the need, i'll also be getting one of his rear winch bumpers aswell.... although i'm still not convinced i need a rear winch.....

http://www.golddigger4x4.com/page2.htm

PS< best to make sure that it'd fit IF you have aircon etc..... sometimes you might not want the winch set so far back....!!

I'm now in the market for a decent winch mountable smartish looking bumper for my 96 disco :D

however there seems to be alot out there to choose from, (and i hate making choices!) here is few that i have got my eye on......

this cheviot 4x4 is a fave but they are having problems with the design being legal and cannot give a rough date of availability

rebel are doing this one

have i missed anything?

have you got any of the above? what's hot and whats not? let me know if you have got one and wish you had gone for the other :unsure:

My budget is £1000 for both winch and bumper so let me know who you think should get my $£$£ as this is a purchase i only want to make once.

Thanks in advance

Dougie

I have the D44 bumper on mine... quality is superb, design is very good... a bit pricey, but top manufacturing does not come cheap...

Thats fine i,m a great beliver in 'you get what you pay for' i have been swaying this way but was just after a bit of input from the forum guys as to there experiences but yours sounds all good!

so at this rate it looks like a D44 bumper £440

Come-up DS 9.5i from paidia 4x4 £500 (this will fit on the D44 bumper?)

Any one know of any better deals about at the minute??

whats the upgrades i need to do to the wiring/battery? :huh: Have been through the tech archive but cannot find an idiots guide to installing a winch! only questionaires,and what split systems are best looks like XENG are out on top??

What is the best value for money battery i should be installing to cope with the winch, Do i need two batteries and split charger or can i get away with one? Have never quite understood this (any many others :blush: ) side of things very well

And once the battery and was hopeing really for a plasma too are added to this order its another 30% over budget then!! Hey it is a land rover thou.

May have to hang fire on the plasma for month or two thou. :angry2:

Thanks in advance again.

rebel are doing this one

have i missed anything?

Thanks in advance

Dougie

There have been other threads (I think I may have even started one) but I can't find them at the moment.

Another choice is 4x4 R Us Ltd in Warwickshire. Nice and low profile. However, a friend was saying last night they were having trouble with stock as their cutting machine wasn't working. May need to give them a call first.

Just put a Gold Digger 4X4 bumper on mine at the weekend and I'm well impressed with the product and the service - Carl is the first to admit he's only a small firm - but thats why I gave him my money. The fit and finish of the kit is excellent and it looks the mutts!

now i look a right dope after my rant to the mods about searching for stuff.

Did think to look in the 'shopping cart section' as i had not bought anything! anyway sorted now thanks orgasmic.

have found some pics of the golddigger one here but any one got any of the D44 i can compare with,

Can the D44 one really be £200 better? after all that would be the plasma paid for!

Have a look at the one that Pete (Raceface120) has got on his Disco HERE. It used to be on my Range Rover and originated as a Southdown bumper.

Very tidy and very close fitting. It came to me drilled to fit an EP9, so that's what I bought at the time. I (we) modified it to remove the pin hitches and add a couple of 20mm bar recovery hoops welded to the bumper in line with the chassis mounting points. Served me well....

It's worth giving Southdown a ring to discuss at the least... Or visit their website for a look

I also just fitted a gold digger one to my disco - if you have an Auto, you will need to modify either the bumper, or the gearbox oil cooler pipework. However, the bumper is excellent, fits well, and Carl is a nice bloke to deal with on the phone too.

hth

Mark

Hey Doug,

You shouldn't have got out of your truck in that field looks like the pikey's have had away with your winch :hysterical:

Does look sweet thouh now i swaying back to the D44 one and away from the golddigger :unsure:

But the Golddigger will leave $£$£ for a plasma??????????

hairpull1.gif

Having seen some good pictures of the D44 to compare I now am very glad I went for the gold-digger - its more or less the same thing for a lot cheaper - BUT - the recovery swivels are just that - swivels - big bonus over static in my book and the D44 doesn't appear to have hi-lift points - or if it does come with them they'll be extra.

Plus GD do a steering guard to match for not much more cash that looks more or less the same as the D44.

In your boat I'd be saving my money, getting a GD then buying a plasma..........

Have you taken a look at the Goodwinch winches they are about the same price as the come-up ones, They have an extra seal against the elements i bought a TDS-9.5 and im very happy. It pulls very well. http://www.dborc.co.uk/goodwinch/tds.htm

Dave.

I'm happy with my TDS, too. It came from David Bowyer.

Why not wait until Billing and go for a good wander round the trade stands. All companies will be offering some form of discount and you can then see them in the flesh! I'd also wait and buy a winch/plasma combo at a show. Both times I have bought a winch from David Bowyer, I have bought them with plasma and haven't paid list price!!

That's if you can get to a show, of course. I'd definitely be making a special effort to get to one if I had £1k burning a hole in my pocket! You'll get more for the money, or the same for less. And you get to walk away with it in your hands. No messing with couriers, etc.

sounds to me like golddigga are taking advice from scrap-iron racing :ph34r: the d44 recovery eyes are not just welded to the bumper they are the bumper mounts....they bolt to the chassis in 6 places and then the bumper is essentially welded to them. and yes the pikeys may have been about in the field but they dont come near me! i have the crazy look! :blink:

That's if you can get to a show, of course. I'd definitely be making a special effort to get to one if I had £1k burning a hole in my pocket! You'll get more for the money, or the same for less. And you get to walk away with it in your hands. No messing with couriers, etc.

Good idea orange the shows do tend to do cheaper stuff but pretty sure i canny get to that one cause away that weekend in Bala,

I did drive down there last year thou and met a guy from alisport in a chinese resturant to pick my intercooler and header tank up off him and he did me the show discount!

So maybe i maybe able to work something with one of the exhibitors that way, If the money is right i dont mind doing the trip. (or a trustworty forumer picking up on my behalf maybe?)

Will find out who's got stalls and plan my next move me thinks :ph34r:

Thanks

Having not seen one up close I cant really comment, BUT, looking at mine I cant see where you could make £200 of improvements? and like you say - that'd be the rope paid for...........

Simon where abouts did you mount your number plate when you got the bumper?

I,m not to keen on a sticker on the bonnet as plod round here have a tendency to nit pick at 4x4's and with the sticker not being reflective and all that he has a slight case.

Would a standard size fit to the side of one of the swivel points do you think without overlapping at the bottom?

Thanks

I just banged mine on the very front of it using the fairlead mount holes for now as I've not made my mind up what winch I want yet - I sized it up and the sidey bits from the tray outwards taper too much to mount a reg plate on there - I was toying with the idea of mounting it up in the grille - but the bumper is so close fitting that most of the grille will have to go to make way for the winch.

So, I'd be interested in any solutions anyone has come up with as well - for when I get my winch in there!