Jump to content

Altering an intercooler to fit in a series 3


Recommended Posts

I decided to fit an intercooler to the 2.5TD engine that's now sitting in catflap. The incentive being that it's was free (apart from some grovelling to Western), and it's a bit of a challenge.

Originally out of a Disco 200TDi , these are chunky things - the end 'tanks' being 5mm thick cast alloy.

First thing I thought to myself was "bugger! that ain't going to fit". Judging by other vehicles' intercooler positions - they are always placed in a forced air location, so putting it under the passenger seat wasn't really an option.

The inlet and outlet pipes are pointing in the wrong direction for me - I needed them to both exit at the same end so they can then be fed through the side of the front panel and hopefully in an easy fashion to the turbo and snorkel.

A few things I had to consider:-

(1) Ease of fitting

(2) Ease of connecting to the rest of the vehicle

(3) Not having to move other things to fit it.

(4) Little if any 'adjustment' to the bodywork (catflap is a series vehicle, and I want him to keep his identity)

(5) The use of readily available parts to finish the job

Lots of pics again, courtesy of the gallery. First two are what a 200TDi intercooler looks like:-

The inlet and outlet pipes more than double the width of it.

med_gallery_2_36_33289.jpg

They also point in the wrong direction

med_gallery_2_36_738431.jpg

Cutting and grinding alloy is a bit of a pain, regular squirts with WD40 helps to prevent clogging of grinding/cutting blades.

The pipes have been removed and ground back to be flush with the rest of the alloy.

med_gallery_2_36_354660.jpg

Considerably thinner now.

med_gallery_2_36_6333.jpg

Cut two same size holes in the side (54mm)

med_gallery_2_36_137759.jpg

The old holes have to be blanked off. I used 3mm plate, blind rivets, and P40 filler to seal it against leaks.

med_gallery_2_36_559301.jpg

The corner one has only three rivets. This is because there isn't much alloy to drill and I didn't want to make a mess. The filler completes the seal and the thickness of the plate makes the job ok I think.

med_gallery_2_36_319329.jpg

The pipe on the left is the original one I cut off. I don't have any pipe the same diameter, so I had to alter the bigger pipe on the right to the same size. I also thought it wise to use long pieces so that they can be cut to fit at a later date. As the original pipe is the same diameter as the turbo to manifold connection - I could use a couple of the 90dg bends that connect the turbo to the inlet manifold to turn the pipes from the intercooler to almost directly at the engine.

med_gallery_2_36_506190.jpg

Slit the pipe and (guessed) remove 15mm strip.

med_gallery_2_36_356181.jpg

The pipe is then clamped closed, seam welded, and then the weld ground down smooth.

The pipes have to be secured to the intercooler body by bolts, so I made a suitable flange and welded the pipe to it - again seam welded to prevent air leaks.

med_gallery_2_36_107342.jpg

med_gallery_2_36_214325.jpg

4 M5 x 0.8 bolts hold each pipe in place.

med_gallery_2_36_586719.jpg

The finished article. Looks a bit odd, but it's what I was looking to achieve.

med_gallery_2_36_470064.jpg

From the top - 95mm wide now, the available space between the radiator frame and the inner edge of the front panel is 130mm, plus the pipes should exit nice and neat by the end of the radiator.

med_gallery_2_36_788630.jpg

Best give it a splash of paint now - the bare steel will rust fairly quick.

Not much more to add really. I'll use the original method of mounting it - the bottom to the front crossmember, and the top to the front panel via a DIY bracket. This type of job wasn't so much difficult as needing a lot of thought. It took me two days to do, but it can be done in a day if you get on with it.

Les. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watch out AliSport!

The inlet and outlet pipes are pointing in the wrong direction for me - I needed them to both exit at the same end so they can then be fed through the side of the front panel and hopefully in an easy fashion to the turbo and snorkel.

Sure this is just a typo, but it does not want to connect to the snorkel, but between the turbo and engine (to cool the air heated by the compression in the turbo).

You do not actually say where you are fitting it? I presume the pipes go in to the wing and double back round the rad to connect with the IC vertical?

Looks nice though!

Si

Link to post
Share on other sites
You do not actually say where you are fitting it?

Front panel. I do mention the available gap, so I assume people would know.

Sorry about the connections thingy - my mistake.

Hopefully the pipes won't go into the wing. At the side of the radiator is quite a gap, so hopefully they will exit there.

Les. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
The incentive being that it's was free (apart from some grovelling to Western),

Originally out of a Disco 200TDi

No grovelling involved, it was a swap for the camshaft to get my 110 moving again.

Originally from my 110 Defender 200Tdi :D I've seen the in progress work & it looks great

Edited by western
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 14 years later...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy