Propshaft help

Peter

Front propshaft needs an overhaul, before the weekend.

Could someone tell me how to:

Need to replace the spiders, how do I get them out of the yoke ?

Got the c-clips out, but can't budge the Harvey Spicer's.

Then how do I get the new ones in ?

Cheers

Peter

Front propshaft needs an overhaul, before the weekend.

Could someone tell me how to:

Need to replace the spiders, how do I get them out of the yoke ?

Got the c-clips out, but can't budge the Harvey Spicer's.

Then how do I get the new ones in ?

Cheers

Peter

i've pushed them out before using a large and small socket each side of the yoke and a big vice....it worked for me

I got a feeling my vice is not upto the job - must get round to securing the vice to the workbench one of these days... and the workbench to the floor...hmm weekend job.

Went round local propshaft overhaul company this morning in Barnhurst.. but closed for holiday. Think I'll have to skip this coming weekend and get it fixed next week.

Cheers anyway.

I got a feeling my vice is not upto the job - must get round to securing the vice to the workbench one of these days... and the workbench to the floor...hmm weekend job.

Went round local propshaft overhaul company this morning in Barnhurst.. but closed for holiday. Think I'll have to skip this coming weekend and get it fixed next week.

Cheers anyway.

do you have a sash clamp? - you can achieve the same with that - you shouldnt need too much pressure once you get it moving, I did mine with an engineers vice (i would imagine you might struggle if you have a carpenters vice) on the florr using two sockets as described above...

You need two pairs of hands even when the vice is attached to the bench...

1 hand to turn vice

1 to hold one socket

1 to hold other socket

1 to hold propshaft

so holding the vice down as well is probably not practical :)

That's how I do it, with 2 sockets and a vice. Just be careful not to crack the cup when pushing it back in

Okay, got the prop off, put it in the vice. Worked out how to remove the c-clips.

Then a mate came round, had a good look at the prop, decided that the UJ's were fine - just needed greasing !! One lives and learns.

Had to take the two parts of the prop apart as needed a good clean and greasing.

Put prop back on 90. Will take it out for a test run later today.

Cheers for the advice, though.

Looks like I will be able to go and laning down near Hindhead on Saturday after all.

Peter