Defender Rear Door opening size

Good morning all,

I'm currently looking at getting a new motor for work use. This will include regular transport of large flightcases. Does anybody know how wide the rear door opening is on a defender? I have one case that is 500mm wide, would this fit through? And do those of you with experience of loading defenders think this is so tight getting it in and out will be fun!

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks

Dom

The tailgate aperture is around 860mm so you'll be absolutely fine with something 500mm wide. The rear door opens completely so there's no issue getting it in.

Depending on which model you go for (90, 110, Station Wagon or hard top...) the load bay will vary in size. If you're going for a new Defender and you want the extra 2 seats in the back then beware that these eat into the load area more than the old drop-down types in the Td5 (and older). Total width is still greater than 500mm though.

The box-like nature of the back means that you can get quite a lot in there. However, the rear seats of the 110 Station Wagon don't fold completely out of the way as you might expect in a modern car so the absolute maximum luggage capacity isn't as high as a Discovery or even the new Freelander. That said, you can pile it in if needed - I moved house in a 90 - sofas and all!

The other advantage is that the load bay is completely flat and at hip height so getting heavy and awkward loads in and out is pretty simple.