200Tdi Engine Mountings

Basically will a 300Tdi fit in a chassis thats mounts are for a 200Tdi/LT77 ?

or do they have to be cut off and new ones welded on.....

If so is it theoretically possible to have a new chassis with both types of mounting fitted to allow a 300 Tdi/R380 to be fitted later ?

:blink:

Guest diesel_jim
Basically will a 300Tdi fit in a chassis thats mounts are for a 200Tdi/LT77 ?

or do they have to be cut off and new ones welded on.....

If so is it theoretically possible to have a new chassis with both types of mounting fitted to allow a 300 Tdi/R380 to be fitted later ?

:blink:

don't think there's enough room to fit both mounts.

if you use "standard" mounts, then they're totally different, but i've seen somewhere on the web that someone made a mount for a 300 (or it might have been one of those 2.8TGV's) that lined up with a 200tdi mount. it was like a big "arm" that fitted to the side of the block.

PM me your email and i'll fling over some piccies with the exact locations for (Factory) fitted 300Tdi's in defenders.

A 200 tdi disco or defender? I am 99% sure all the bolt holes you need are there. To fit a 300 into a 200 defender the front pipe gets in the way of the 200 mount on the left but its very easy to sort with a small kink in the front pipe (I did it about an hour ago) on the right I think the oil filter is in the way but not sure if its possible to change oil filter housing.

I was under the impression that 200 and 300 discos had the same mounts atleast they bolted in the same place. The blocks look very similar.

Cheers chaps

Jim...PM on way

Steve...Defender

Ralph...thanks as ever ;)

trying to find out if I would need to spoil a nice galv chassis in order to fit a 300.....not to mention all those nasty fumes :o

Cheers chaps

Jim...PM on way

Steve...Defender

Ralph...thanks as ever ;)

trying to find out if I would need to spoil a nice galv chassis in order to fit a 300.....not to mention all those nasty fumes :o

I cant see any reason why, if you order it to 300 spec, build it up using a r380 (or long version lt77) and use the discovery mounting holes (the rear ones) on the 200 with the 300 type mounts there would be any problem. I am very sure they will fit as I think the basic casting of the block, as far as mounting holes and bosses are concerned, is the same. Then come time the 300 should be a direct swap. Definitely wort looking into.

I had a 300 defender parked next to mine this morning and could have looked, Typical. If the bits come for it I'll have it back in tomorrow so I will take pics.

Steve... I sort of see what your saying

are you saying fit 300 tdi engine mounts on the 200Tdi block to 300 chassis mounts :unsure:

or

Are the 200Tdi Discovery mounts the same as the Defender 300Tdi mountings ??

If I used the 200 Tdi fitted with discovery mounts would that line up/fit correctly with a chassis mountings for 300 Tdi :unsure:

Steve... I sort of see what your saying

are you saying fit 300 tdi engine mounts on the 200Tdi block to 300 chassis mounts :unsure:

or

Are the 200Tdi Discovery mounts the same as the Defender 300Tdi mountings ??

If I used the 200 Tdi fitted with discovery mounts would that line up/fit correctly with a chassis mountings for 300 Tdi :unsure:

Basically yep. The 300 defender mounts will go onto the 200 block where the 200tdi disco bolts go! 99% sure. I am trying to find a 300 defender just to check!

this might help 300Tdi to LT77 :D

Trouble is tho thats upgrading a 200 to 300 which means remaking chassis brackets. Im still think theres a possibility a 200 on 200disco mounts might fit a 300 chassis.

Didn't get that one back in today to look at Les but im trying to get it in ASAP. Im quite curious about it now!

Right, Bad news les. The 300 disco has an extra set of mountings bolt holes further back on the block to take the mounts which are NOT on the 200! I still havn't looked at a 300 defender to see if its the same as the disco yet. As soon as I do I'll let you know.

300Tdi has the holes drilled in the front end of the block, the same as the 200. They may not have been tapped to accept bolts - the Defender & Disco blocks I looked at hadn't. Should be a case of tap to the correct size (IIRC M12) and fit 200Tdi mounts to block.

Blimey.....

Nothing ever easy is it :lol:

So cant decide.....

do I get 200 chassis mounts and adapt when and If it ever needs a new motor or I want a quiet drive ;)

or get 300 chassis mounts and make the 200 fit :unsure:

So did we decide, if it was even possible to have both mounts.....or will it catch the exhaust etc in one or other config ?

300 Tdi mounting position...with the location of a V8 mount looking for other pics of the location of a 200 on the same side and 200/300 the oyher side :ph34r:

Drivers side

837.jpg

passenger side

838.jpg

Disco position passenger side

D227B.jpg

I *think* that you could order a chassis with 200 mounts and then when you came to want a 300 you would have two maybe three options,

1) Plug the 300 into your lt77 and live with the lt, I believe the passenger mount just drops in nicely and a custom mount can be fabbed for the drivers side wrapping around the oil filter. This will obviously sit the 300 upto the bulkhead possibly making induction pipework a challenge but much better weight distribution, more room to work on the front of the engine and also more room to move rad/intercooler back to accommodate winch etc.

2) Buy a stubby R380 and put the 300 on that this would then leave the engine in the same place with the same problems as option one.

3) my friend has a R380 and 300 in his early 110, it has the gearbox on the original mounts then the passenger side mount is a rubber doughnut unlike the 300 square blocks, and he has a custom drivers side mount, AFAIK the chassis mounts were not altered and the block mount on the passenger side is one of a 2.5 naturally asthmatic, the drivers side is definitely fabbed up however, so it would seem possible with clever block mounts.

I hope that's of some help,

Will.

• 9 years later...

So, I have found a used but decent 90 200TDI chassis, hoping I can fit this as a replacement chassis for my rusting and MOT failed 300TDI. What would I have to do to ensure the 300 engine and gearbox will fit back into a 200 chassis ? I'm hearing that the only differences are the engine and gearbox mountings, so could I cut out the old mounts and either bolt or weld these on as part of the new chassis prep ?

Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received !

Firstly what you plan to do is not necessarily legal as the second hand chassis will potentially have its own ID/VIN.

However technically speaking if you can weld then it wouldn’t be too difficult to achieve. The 200Tdi engine mounts would need cutting off and then a set of 300Tdi mounts welding on. Best way to sort the position of these would be to fit the gearbox crossmember from your old chassis to the ‘new’ one (you may have to notch it for the seatbox mount) and then sit the engine/transmission in place. In doing so you can offer up the engine mounts (fabricated or bought) and mark their required position on the chassis. Then remove the engine etc. and weld them on.

That way you would end up with basically a standard 300Tdi spec chassis and everything should more or less swap over from your existing one.