What to do with my noisy transfer box?

Well I thought all the vibration was the wear in the swivel pin. After rebuilding the swivel, it seems not.

I've got some knocking vibration, at prop speed, most noticeable on overrun. I can feel it in the cab.

I thought it was the front prop, but having removed it, it's still there.

With a front wheel on a jack (prop back on) and spinning in reverse the knocking seems to be coming from the front output bearing on the transfer box, though it's hard to pinpoint.

Listening with a screwdriver the noise is difficult to locate but seems to be more from the main box.

With a rear wheel spinning on a jack there's no noise, so I reckon it's the front part of the transfer box.

Just changed the oil in the box and there's no change.

So, could the front bearing fail in this way, giving lots of vibration? What else is there in the T-box that could give these symptoms?

I guess I'll pull it and see. Where do you get replacements? I didn't see any mention on Ashcrofts.

Cheers all for your help.

Another LR saga week. Work are never going to see me again at this rate :lol:

I replace the front bearing on mine a few weeks ago.

Gus (member on here) helped me out with the bearing no. 6207 LR Pt No.STC1130.

I used SKF, make sure its a C3 clearance, you don't need to pay £30 +vat...... I got mine from BSL for about £12.

Any way its a really straight forward job, only tools required are a good 3 leg 8" puller, circlip pliers (internal) and suitable drifts to install.

You will also require a flange seal FRC7043 and maybe the circlip 216962. Just over £20 the lot.

Search and you will find Gus's sequenced photos.

Rod

Edited to say

the outer race of mine was pitted in several places, once washed out and spun it was rough, the reduction in noise is quite noticeable. :)

Thanks all for the info. :i-m_so_happy:

I've pulled the bearing. With it cleaned up and on the bench, there's a tiny amount of roughness in it, so we'll see if it really is the cause of all the noise

New bits ordered from Ashcrofts, cheap too :)

Should have them in a few days. Will report back when it's back together.