300Tdi oil leak, with a difference.

At the end of last minth because the tax was due and I was going to make this battery box. I put a SORN on my Defender.

A week later I noticed more oil than usual under the Defender.

I had some roofing sheets delivered. Nowhere to put them except under the Defender.

YEP......

The next day a slick of oil appeared on them.

I've had a quick look. The oil seems to be coming from just above the oil filter. Oil pipes to rad ??

The filter is a Fram.

I did change an O ring in one of those pipes some time ago. Do those O rings go as quick as this one.

The dipstick shews correct level.

Ideas please.

mike

Mike, I once had a leak from around the base of the oil filter (around the seal), I dont know if this is the same area as you are experiencing a leak?

It turned out that the filter was not fitted quite as tightly as usual, and had worked loose a little bit.

Worth checking maybe? Other than this, I dont know enough to help.

Martin

It's very common for the join between the rubber-to- steel section of the oil cooler pipes to start leaking. In that general area you have the filter and housing, oil pressure sender, and two oil cooler pipes. Clean it all, run the engine for a short while and then leave it. The leak should leave a fresh trace if you don't move your truck, Mike.

You'll have to jack it up to get underneath - due to that valuable stomach of yours :D

Les.

Also check the jubilees on the pipe going from the rocker cover to the block and the pipe returning oil to the lower half of the engine for the oil separater/ breather.

Both of these leaked on mine and didn't half cause a mess. A little bit of oil goes a long way :(

HTH

Mo

It's very common for the join between the rubber-to- steel section of the oil cooler pipes to start leaking. In that general area you have the filter and housing, oil pressure sender, and two oil cooler pipes. Clean it all, run the engine for a short while and then leave it. The leak should leave a fresh trace if you don't move your truck, Mike.

You'll have to jack it up to get underneath - due to that valuable stomach of yours :D

Les.

Cheeky sod. I can stll get under the Defender at my age...... :blink:

Thanks though. You've confirmed what I'm thinking.

If it was filter. Surely it would only leak with the engine running.....This thing leaks with the engine off :P

mike

Also check the jubilees on the pipe going from the rocker cover to the block and the pipe returning oil to the lower half of the engine for the oil separater/ breather.

Both of these leaked on mine and didn't half cause a mess. A little bit of oil goes a long way :(

HTH

Mo

Check condition of pipe from block to rocker cover i have had a few split on the inner edge and MO IS RIGHT A LITTLE OIL GOES A LONG WAY

Guest otchie1
If it was filter. Surely it would only leak with the engine running.....This thing leaks with the engine off :P

To my mind, yep. If you didn't run the engine between put the sheets under the Defender and then the slick appearing then the leak is likely to be at sump height - gasket or sump plug.

Oil can get pumped to horrible places and then drain out with the engine off - rear main seal springs to mind with oil leaking out the bellhousing - and of course any oil left in the oil cooler/pipes/filter can leak out but when it's gone, it's gone.

Still leaking? Top up the oil and see if you've got a new slick in the morning - you could even take the filter off just to discount it from the leak list.

Sorry lads but I think I know the difference between the oil dripping down the rear of the sump at the sump plug and dripping off the oil filter on the right side of the enging.

Why shouldso much come from the breather pipe. There isn't any evidence of leaks in that direction. Just above the oil filter.

What I do not understand is why it aparently only leaks with the enging switched off.

I'm still thinking of the oil exchanger pipes being the problem. I might get the battery box finished this week. Then I can try to see what's happening.

mike

<snip>

I'm still thinking of the oil exchanger pipes being the problem. I might get the battery box finished this week. Then I can try to see what's happening.

mike

Mike, are these the original, Dunlop made crimped fittings ?

If so, they are notorious for leaking.

Most of us out here rip them out, cut off the original ends on the hard pipe and braze on standard type hydraulic hose ends and fit new hoses from Pirtek or Enzed.

Problem solved.