Small car springs

simonr

I've had a pretty good suspension idea (even if I say so myself) which does not involve computers, pneumatics or anything complicated other than fabrication.

I want to try it out first, before I go public with the idea - but I need to source some springs first.

What I'm looking for is a pair of springs with a rate of about 70lb/in, a free length of about 400mm and an outside diameter of 100mm.

I wondered if any of you know the spec of car springs? Spring data for LR's is easily available - but all the companies I've talked to about car springs first want to know the car it's for to give me the spec rather than finding the car/spring from the spec.

I've mailed a couple of companies who wind springs - but no replies as yet.

Another alternative might be coil-over springs?

I know this is a bit like "I've got a secret - and I'm not going to tell you" - but I will when I've tried it!

I've built a model which with a few reservations appears to work - but there's nothing like trying it for real!

Mysteriously,

Si

With that free length to dia ratio, you may need to guide the spring to prevent it buckling sideways. Depends how much you want to compress it, but about 250mm is the limit when buckling is likely.

I had wondered about this - and assumed that as a land rover spring with a 600mm free length and 150mm diameter does not buckle, 400 x 100 would probably be safe.

The spring will only ever be compressed to 200mm length at most - but adding a guide would not be difficult if it is a problem.

Thanks Ripley - I'll give them a go!

Do you happen to know what the rate of police spec springs is? (roughly)

Si

I had wondered about this - and assumed that as a land rover spring with a 600mm free length and 150mm diameter does not buckle, 400 x 100 would probably be safe.

The spring will only ever be compressed to 200mm length at most - but adding a guide would not be difficult if it is a problem.

Thanks Ripley - I'll give them a go!

Do you happen to know what the rate of police spec springs is? (roughly)

Si

Hi si

I would stay away from tas,they sell some very sub std stuff,i developed some subaru parts for them a while back,after i had finished the prototypes they said they had ,had a change of mind and they were not going to go down that path,low and behold 4 weeks later they where selling alloy engine mounts for grp " n" subarus,just exactly what i had done for them!!!!!! I would be supprised if they havent gone bust AGAIN anyways.

I will sort you some springs out next week if you want,i have a few contacts in the suspension world.

Cheers Chris (DME MOTORSPORT)

P.S I got the x-brake thank you very much,i will be sorting an order out for you in the new year.