Temperature senders

muddyplugger

I'm in the middle of replacing the mismatched temp sender (engine = 200tdi Disco), I bought a new sender & temp gauge with proper degrees on it and everyfing (Non LR).

Trouble is the screw threads are different sizes, bit to big to even bodge with PTFE tape!!

I have heard one can get adapters for this but what am I looking for?? (something to stick into google would be a start) :huh:

The old one is on the left and the new shiney small one is my problem!

Tempsenders.jpg

The left sender looks like a Air Condition system one that's fitted in the top of the thermostat housing, the correct temp gauge sender is fitted under the right side of the thermostat housing screwed into the side of the cylinder head.

Just verify for me where on the head you removed the old one from.

The new sender looks like a Racetech one which is 10mm fine thread pitch. You won't find an adapter to match the old one which is probably 1/2" NPT - the thread looks finer than a BSP fitting. Best bet is tapping a new hole. Note, standard 10mm tap will be coarse thread 1.25mm pitch, just do a Google for tap and die set suppliers or look in the back of Practical Classic mag - u can get single taps from these places for a few squid. U will need the taping drill as well, or someone on here probably has a copy of the engineering tables to look up the correct size drill. By the way the Racetech sender is a good enough fit to replace the LR sender on a 300Tdi, there is a slight thread pitch mismatch but its only noticeable after about 5 rows of thread.

Edited by simonb

that rh one is a 300TDI sender.

Daan

Doh, so it is! The Racetech one is almost identical in appearance except it has a 1/4" Lucar blade on it. Thanks Daan, thought it looked familar.... :unsure:

In which case it is NPT and either 24/28/32 tpi, can't remember which....

Edited by simonb

Thanks for all this, with the fact the sender is for a 300tdi and the old one is for a 200tdi, they may even send the same message, I might just try connecting new temp guage to old sender and see if it works! I've been on thinkauto.com and they seem to have loads of adapters, just have to identify threads!

Why are things so complex all the time??? One day I will do a job and it will all work magically first time! [/fairyland mode off]

Yep Racetech make nice gauges.

Frankly I'm not interested in any of the cheaper electrical ones.The Capillary ones need a lot of work to fit them to a 300Tdi.Bulkhead to drill.Then finding a rubber grommet to fit,not an easy job.Then the thermostat housing to modify.

That's why I looked at the SPA gauges.

I eat rat poison.

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!