TD5 Engine temperature

CYmon

Hi all,

Now the proud owner of a Nanocom unit, and having cleared all my faults :D I left it in the car to "see" what happens when driving.

I pulled my horse trailer (empty) down the Motorways from the north of England to Dover - then from Calais to my home town, near Dijon. 1300km in all.

Ambient temps were 12-18 degC in the UK and 20-32deg C in France. I drove at more or less the same speed all the time...65mph - 100km/h ie 2500rpm.

The coolant temp needle on the dashboard never buddged --- yet the temp reported by the Nanocom varies from (once "warm") 82 right up to 100 degC.

In the UK... cooler ambient temp, and ignoring the hills for now, the car ran at 88 degC most of the time, rising to 90 every now and then...especially when the engine dropped below 2000rpm.

In France... warmer ambient temp, and ignoring the hills for now, the car also ran at 88 degC, but didn't rise to 90 as much and even dropped to 83 at one point.

When I stopped and truned off the ignition, the engine felt warm... A friend said "Its running hot - whats its ideal temp...? "

So thats my question... what is the ideal running temperature...?

Would a radiator clean be of any use?

Should I be considering getting a new Radiator...?

... or is this perfectly normal ... ? :blink:

Cheers

Simon

Its normal if you read on the rave disc how the stat works it amazingly complicated, 96 degc is the correct temp, so when you see people posting they have removed their viscous fan from their TD5 i dont think they realise how close to terminal meltdown they are during normal running never mind with no std fan

When i first got my nanocom i was suprised to see the dash gauge go to std running temp even hough nanocom showed coolant was only 75 degc.

Got bored after a few days and it only comes out when i have a fault.

Lynall

The thermostat is used to maintain the coolant at the optimum temperature for efficient combustion and to aid engine

warm-up. The thermostat is closed at temperatures below approximately 82°C (179°F). When the coolant

temperature reaches approximately 82°C the thermostat starts to open and is fully open at approximately 96°C

(204°F). In this condition the full flow of coolant is directed through the radiator.

The thermostat is exposed to 90% hot coolant from the engine on one side and 10% cold coolant returning from the

radiator bottom hose on the other side.

Hot coolant from the engine passes from the by-pass pipe through four sensing holes in the flow valve into a tube

surrounding 90% of the thermostat sensitive area. Cold coolant returning from the radiator, cooled by the ambient air,

conducts through 10% of the thermostat sensitive area.

In cold ambient temperatures, the engine temperature is raised approximately 10°C (50°F) to compensate for the heat

loss of 10% exposure to the cold coolant returning from the radiator bottom hose.

By-pass flow valve

Simple eh :blink:

Lynall

The thermostat is used to maintain the coolant at the optimum temperature for efficient combustion and to aid engine

warm-up. The thermostat is closed at temperatures below approximately 82°C (179°F). When the coolant

temperature reaches approximately 82°C the thermostat starts to open and is fully open at approximately 96°C

(204°F). In this condition the full flow of coolant is directed through the radiator.

The thermostat is exposed to 90% hot coolant from the engine on one side and 10% cold coolant returning from the

radiator bottom hose on the other side.

Hot coolant from the engine passes from the by-pass pipe through four sensing holes in the flow valve into a tube

surrounding 90% of the thermostat sensitive area. Cold coolant returning from the radiator, cooled by the ambient air,

conducts through 10% of the thermostat sensitive area.

In cold ambient temperatures, the engine temperature is raised approximately 10°C (50°F) to compensate for the heat

loss of 10% exposure to the cold coolant returning from the radiator bottom hose.

By-pass flow valve

Simple eh :blink:

Lynall

Erm yeah... two for me please and one for my friend.

I had read this, but didn't want to believe it. Hence the question.

I guess that with my engine not going above 100degC was quite good then, even on the up hill bits... it was 29degC outside.

Next test will come when I put 600Kg of meat in the van... and then try going up a hill at 100Km/h.

The ECU has an AutoLogic remap, so it should cope. Should. I hope. Please...?

Thanks for the reply,

Simon

PS The EGR valve is reportedly stuck closed...reading the number of Blanking kits available, I guess this is a good thing. Its the only error showing now that I fixed the rest (TD5 Misfires - shorted cables.)

"The coolant temp needle on the dashboard never buddged --- yet the temp reported by the Nanocom varies from (once "warm") 82 right up to 100 degC."

This shows you how much the dashboard gauge has been engineered to deliberately not show changes in temperature. The 300tdi gauge is the same. LR do not want to frighten people by having the gauge move up and down, so they glue the needle to the glass. It will show 'in the middle' from about 40-100c.

If you want to know what the real temperature is with a Tdi, fit a VDO gauge. With a TD5, use the Nanocom.

Mine shows egr valve short circuit or stuck closed depending on which day it is! and its not even there :lol:

Lynall

Yeah... I guess its not worth bothering about. Its a nice way to be sure the Nanocom is reading the CPU... there's at least one value to see :-)

I've got to thinking that the Nanocom will only be in the car when towing... Then I can keep an eye on the thermal meltdown theory. ;)

Yesterday I drove for the first time without a load...and the temp never made it past 90...

Maybe I should open another thread, but whats the Max Turbo boost you get Lynall ? Mine was 1.19 when towing (uphill) yet barely 1 point anything without the load and at 2500 up a steapish hill...

Cheers

Simon