School me on Chevy V8 installations

SimonPearson

Chevy 350 (5.7 litre) V8 engine and (preferably) Auto box install...

- Engines from where? Have searched an not found much of use in the UK..

- Are they really any good? I know some Comp Safari boys use them, but are they any good for general usage & off-roading? What about the carbs mis-fuelling on steep inclines?

- What Auto options are there and can these be successfully mated to an LR drivetrain (or will a ZF 4spd Auto fit)?

- What should I expect to pay for a decent condition engine and where can I buy spare parts?

What Auto options are there and can these be successfully mated to an LR drivetrain (or will a ZF 4spd Auto fit)?

Torqueflight TF737 from an early RR will fit, or can be made to fit without too much trouble. Might wanna beef it back up to full US spec rather than the parred down LR version.

Or TH350/TH400 (or even a TH700)can I belive be mated to an LT230 and will stand around 400-500bhp, certainly a lot more than a ZF, and apparently all in the top 10 best tranny swaps :unsure:

SBC? just to be annoying you could save a LOT of lard and gain more horse by using either an LS1 or LS6 or (a lot cheaper) a Northstar, stick the kettle on and we can have a natter on Monday :D

See this one for sale as an example, sorely tempted, bit pricey but bear in mind that is everything inc. GB, all ancillaries, exh etc. Don't know how easy it is to graft on an LR reduction box.

CIMG0097_sm.jpg

CIMG0098_sm.jpg

One of my old racers was a SBC 350 / 5700cc.

The real problem with these are :

Weight, boy are they heavy !

Power - enough torque to shear assorted drivetrain and internals when running right

Running right...humpf.....

Mine took ages to get to run right, the carb set up does not lile running at angles a la off road, best to either speak to the Guru Pete Rowe, or better yet and quicker is to go fuel Injection.

HTH

Nige

My old Hi-lux ran the 5.7 with holley pro-jection and Offy bits with Crane cams. lifters and oil pump - all through a Torqueflight from an MF combine. Used to shear UJ's for a pastime when on 35's - but not on 33's!

If you lifted the pancake off, you could see the four dwarves with buckets, throwing petrol into the carb!

360bhp and 470ft/lb on the dino and that was back in '88. Used to to really upset Tim Webster (God rest his soul) when we went laning...

I love Chevy's

THe LS1 is supposed to be about the same weight & general dimensions as the Rover V8, nice simple engine with only 2 valves per unit. I am told that they are quite readily available from the States as new units complete with the injection system as above.

Talking to the boys who put them in kit cars, Cobras and the like, they report far better fuel economy than with the Rover V8, up to 20%. These boys are not renowned for worrying about consumption, so if they have noticed it, it must really have made an impression. Performance will not be optimised for a 4x4 brick of course but with fully mappable modern system that shouldn't be an issue. Did I mention distributorless ignition, starting to look interesting :rolleyes:

Edited by Niall_CSK

LS1's are reasonable common in Aus - used in popular local built GM car.

There is someone in Western Australia who competes with an LS1 in a defender and he had a lot of trouble getting a torqueflite auto to last one event. TF's were built with all the so called strong parts, but kept blowing up. The problem was eventually tracked down to overheating. He now has 4 oil coolers for the transmission fluid.

Some info on 350 chevy in a rangie based Dakar4x4 here

Bush - was that the Holden?

you can have the Getrag 6 speed manual option if you use the Camero lump, northstars are a lot cheaper and the V6 takes up less space (still good for 500hp with a turbo or blower kit)

Schram are a good place to start if you want one from the US (they sell via eBlag if you are that way inclined), I was busy shopping for a good one for new toy but some friends over the pond keep rattling on about Northstars saving weight and producing good power for peanuts money....

too many options but I think either a getrag or an NV4500 or even a TLC box is going to be needed, do you know if Marks adaptors do an LS to TLC kit or a Northstar to TLC kit?

Edited by dollythelw

Great answers guys - excellent tech advice and info as usual from the Forum.

Given what folks have said - awesome drivetrain-munching power, dismal fuel economy and general cost of engines in teh first place, I think it'd just be a lot less hassle sticking with a Rover V8 for now.

Now, who's got a nice 4.0 or 4.2 for sale?

Bush - was that the Holden?

you can have the Getrag 6 speed manual option if you use the Camero lump, northstars are a lot cheaper and the V6 takes up less space (still good for 500hp with a turbo or blower kit)

Schram are a good place to start if you want one from the US (they sell via eBlag if you are that way inclined), I was busy shopping for a good one for new toy but some friends over the pond keep rattling on about Northstars saving weight and producing good power for peanuts money....

too many options but I think either a getrag or an NV4500 or even a TLC box is going to be needed, do you know if Marks adaptors do an LS to TLC kit or a Northstar to TLC kit?

Yes Jez, Holden Commodore (the Commodore was originally based on Opel). They also come with 6 speed manual.

V8 tdi V8 tdi V8 tdi V8 tdi V8 :rolleyes:

What made you change your mind.....again?

What about Steve at Lund?

I have a 90 with Isuzu 2.8TD in. It's a lot better, smoother, faster, more reliable and more powerful than any of the 200Tdi and 300Tdi's I've had... but it's still a diesel and my heart is set on a V8 / Auto.

I should have never sold off the project I was building last summer... yes, I know I am a complete tw@t!