200tdi Into 90 Td

DSN

Hi there.

Well everyone seems to have moved over here so thought I would as well. Have changed my login as fancied a change but I was danneed in case you wonder!

Query relates to engine changes.

My 90 TD decided to be tempramental and lost power and some horrid noises. I have done some investigation work and spoke to work colleagues and 1 item is definitely the fuel pump leaking from the boost pressure diaphragm so probably not fueling correctly.

Around the same time, I am aware of an early 90 CSW 200tdi being available at good price. Engine rebuild 5000 miles ago so that part good.

As I am due at White90's Bday bash, time is running short to either fix TD or change to 200tdi. Change is most likely as I don't really want to spend money on TD. I am therefore after advice on what to expect for change.

I believe engine and gearbox mounts are same. Gearboxes same so physically fitting engine in should be straight forward. Queries are:

Clutch on same side and pipes fit?

PAS pipes/pump same? I have 6 bolt PAS box, did 200tsi have same?

Exhaust or the mountings on chassis the same?

Rad mounts on chassis etc the same?

Wiring? Alternator/starter etc.

Glow plug wiring? (not critical to get it running for end of month though)

If anyone has some comments on any of this, it would be appreciated. These were just the items I could think of while mulling it over. Obviously as I will have the whole vehicle, it will help from seeing how laid out before swapping over but due to time constraints, I don't want any shocks as won't get donor for another week or so.

Well will send this out and wait for the responses. Thanks in advance for any help and guess I will see some of you at White90's event later in month (all being well!).

Dan

Hi there.

Well everyone seems to have moved over here so thought I would as well. Have changed my login as fancied a change but I was danneed in case you wonder!

Query relates to engine changes.

My 90 TD decided to be tempramental and lost power and some horrid noises. I have done some investigation work and spoke to work colleagues and 1 item is definitely the fuel pump leaking from the boost pressure diaphragm so probably not fueling correctly.

Around the same time, I am aware of an early 90 CSW 200tdi being available at good price. Engine rebuild 5000 miles ago so that part good.

As I am due at White90's Bday bash, time is running short to either fix TD or change to 200tdi. Change is most likely as I don't really want to spend money on TD. I am therefore after advice on what to expect for change.

I believe engine and gearbox mounts are same. Gearboxes same so physically fitting engine in should be straight forward. Queries are:

Clutch on same side and pipes fit?

PAS pipes/pump same? I have 6 bolt PAS box, did 200tsi have same?

Exhaust or the mountings on chassis the same?

Rad mounts on chassis etc the same?

Wiring? Alternator/starter etc.

Glow plug wiring? (not critical to get it running for end of month though)

If anyone has some comments on any of this, it would be appreciated. These were just the items I could think of while mulling it over. Obviously as I will have the whole vehicle, it will help from seeing how laid out before swapping over but due to time constraints, I don't want any shocks as won't get donor for another week or so.

Well will send this out and wait for the responses. Thanks in advance for any help and guess I will see some of you at White90's event later in month (all being well!).

Dan

Clutch on same side and pipes fit?-clutch same

PAS pipes/pump same? I have 6 bolt PAS box, did 200tsi have same? these may need changing unless the TDI has 6 bolt, they are approx £50 for x2 new ones when I last helped change a N/A for a TDI

Exhaust or the mountings on chassis the same? Downpipe mounting was different on the above, ps fit this pipe before dropping the engine in otherwise you'll suffer.

Rad mounts on chassis etc the same? were on the N/A

Wiring? Alternator/starter etc.Simple swap over

Glow plug wiring? (not critical to get it running for end of month though) use same as you have already.

Just to add to what white90 has already said...

If you are fitting a Defender 200tdi (as opposed to the Discovery spec of this engine) then to all intents and purposes the TD and the TDI are nigh on identical.

You can use your original gearbox - the clutch plate etc is the same and you won't have to touch the master / slave cylinder.

Use the complete TD exhaust, including the downpipe. It'll fit after the engine is in. All the fittings are the same on the Td and the TDI.

You'll need a pair of retaining brackets for the top of the rad / intercooler - use the ones from the doner vehicle - junck the originals. You'll also need the extra section of loom for the glowplug timer - again, unplug from the doner vehicle. (The Tdi has a timer on the glowplugs as they are "quickheat" - even in winter the Tdi will start with less than a couple of seconds of heat). All the wiring plugs in - including the alternator connections and main engine loom - the colours are all the same too.

I've done this conversion myself - on my own in a weekend. Drove the car in on a Friday evening as a TD and out again as a Tdi on the Monday - no welding / fabricating and very straightforward.

Land Rover themselves offered this as a retrofit conversion for older vehicles and produced a fitting guide for the conversion (which I can't find a link to at the moment.... sorry!)

Have a look Here for some pics / guidance on MrWuffles site on how he did it ;)

Matt

Oh - and unbolt your power steering pump and bracket from the TD without dosconnecting the hoses. It'll bolt up to the Tdi in the same place - and uses the same belt.

Land Rover themselves offered this as a retrofit conversion for older vehicles and produced a fitting guide for the conversion (which I can't find a link to at the moment...

got one of these retro fit 200Tdi's in my 1989 110, really easy to fit :D as Matt & Tony have already said, check Nicks site Here :D for all the relevant info you'll need :D

if you want to have a chat about this swap, PM me for my number :D

Edited by western