8274 a bit of a pain in the ass

treebloke

Me and the Mrs compete in winch challenge events but we are getting a bit slower than most (been married 30 years this year I think) and although I help her as much as I can she does most of the monkey business.

One of the biggest problems for her (she is only 5') is when the rope goes under or over itself on the drum and she is trying to drag it up a steep wet muddy bank then suddenly it starts dragging her back down. This is not such a problem with the winch on the rear which is a 9.5xp because it much slower but according to Warn has more pulling power.

8274 rated line pull 8000 lbs - 9.5 xp rated line pull 9500 lbs

8274 line speed 22.4m/min - 9.5 xp line speed 11.6m/min

The big advantage for the 8274 is obviously its speed and greater cable capacity but I have bought several new ones and had quite a few problems and so have others I know, Ian M for one yet I have not had any problems with the 9.5 xp.

Xp is lighter and certainly cheaper with less to go wrong?.

Gigglepin do numerous upgrades for the 8274 and I was wondering if similar alterations could be done to the xp.

A longer narrow drum would help the line capacity and if the free spool could be operated from the cab (cables maybe) then I think we would be onto a winner (well Dawn would anyway).

I have had the problem with the over wrapping of plasma and it's the only thing I don't like about the 8274, so now I just pay out as much cable as I think i need then walk off to the anchor point. If its tooo much it spools in quick enought anyway, if to short you can find a good place to stand and pull more off the drum.

Otherwise I can't help with any of your questions

sorry

Jon

Hi Bob. The rope thing is definitely an issue. We have found its usually happens if you run a length of rope back on the drum without any load on it then have a shorter pull the next time so your pulling over top of loose rope. Then the rope tends to cut into the loose stuff and cause problems next time you feed it out. The speed of the winch just makes it happen all the more but trying to keep the rope tight/keep some load on it as much as possible seems to help a lot.

We used an XD9000 on the front of our truck when we started. It pulled very well and seems reliable except the brake was a bit of a pain. It used to destroy brake pads very quickly through over heating when lowering off stuff, The brake would stop working once it had been in water meaning you had to pull it all apart to clean it out and it was a case of taking the whole winch off the truck to get to the brake. I don't think I ever had the brake working properly for more than a few hours so it had to go.

Rope bunching was also an issue, The drum would be simple to extend, you would need to extend the drive shaft aswell. Smaller diameter wouldn't be easy as the brake sits in the middle of it.

Remember that the stats above are for an 8274 with a std motor, so if you've upgraded your 8274 to an XP motor you'll notice the difference between this and an XP 9.5 winch.

The brakes in the EP9.5 and TDS winches are better and the design of the drum means you can extend them. Paul W has done this a couple of times. I would think that it would be fairly simple to use a solenoid to operate the freespool so that it could be operated in the cab.

You still get the rope wrapping over though on the low line winches and as Steve says the only way to minimise this is to have some tension on it when you are spooling out and when wrapping the rope back on.

Cheers

Steve

Rope bunching was also an issue, The drum would be simple to extend, you would need to extend the drive shaft aswell. Smaller diameter wouldn't be easy as the brake sits in the middle of it.

I think rope bunching on a side pull would be the single main issue, its some times a problem with an 8274 so the xp has little chance.

You still get the rope wrapping over though on the low line winches and as Steve says the only way to minimise this is to have some tension on it when you are spooling out and when wrapping the rope back on.

Cheers

Steve

Yes thats true but you could spend a lot of time between pulls putting the rope on tidier and still it gets stuck. I tend to use a shortish rope to minimse the amount on the drum. Most of the pulls tend to be fairly close in with places like Culmhead, Uplowman, Bampton with plenty trees about so not to much of a problem.

Steve don't forget the effortless freespool on the TDS - works a treat.

The newer the rope the less bunching - and visa versa. Must admit that this is my pet hate on the 8274; that and the run on, Does my head in, the amount of time faffing around... Mind you even the EP will bunch up if you have an old rope and don't put it back wtith some thought - that's what a bonnet net is used for

SimonR was looking at creating some electrikery to use EMF to reduce overrun. Don't know how far he has got with it though..... :unsure:

If he could nail that I think that would remove the 8274's worst aspect.

modifying the xp winch is a bad idea from the start. it has all been worked and designed in the way to work best, a smaller drum diameter will reduce line speed to near enough nothing. longer drum and you'll have problems fitting it anywhere and issues with the drive shaft and brake assy. i could go on. i had similar ideas and thoughts toward modifying an EP9. the only realistic upgrade whcih does work, is a 12v bow motor and 24v supply.

(SHAMELESS PLUG)

Watch out for the release of the GIGGLEPIN 8274 freespool drum, when mated to the twin motor top housing this makes a real awesome winch. nothing can compete. ;)